Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

'96 D1 Door Lock Actuator Rebuild

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
Well, I've pulled the actuator out of the fifth door because it wasn't strong enough to completely unlock it. Does anyone know how to get the case apart to view the internals? I've been trying all afternoon with no luck.
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Tyler,

D1 has an actuator and a latch.  You are really talking about the actuator, yes?  If yes, then does the latch respond to a light pull/push to lock/unlock it?

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
Graeme, This is the offending part.

x2oRmZ6.jpg

If you are asking if the linkage between the actuator and the latch mechanism itself, it is not sticky at all, and the door will open if the lock is pulled up lightly. I think that there is a spring inside the actuator itself has broken or rattled loose somehow.
Tyler

Posted Image

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

If you are asking if the linkage between the actuator and the latch mechanism itself, it is not sticky at all, and the door will open if the lock is pulled up lightly. I think that there is a spring inside the actuator itself has broken or rattled loose somehow.

Tyler,

So if you "assist" the actuator by slightly lifting the flat tab locking button, it works fine?  If so, it is the latch spring that is at fault and the actuator (what you picture) is fine.  I have springs here, I think.

Regards,

Graeme

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

Tyler,

So if you "assist" the actuator by slightly lifting the flat tab locking button, it works fine?  If so, it is the latch spring that is at fault and the actuator (what you picture) is fine.  I have springs here, I think.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme, not quite. It's almost like the weight of the lock itself overwhelms the actuator and pushes itself back down to a "locked" position. I'm pretty sure something is messed up inside the actuator itself, but I'm not exactly sure where your latch spring comes into play. How do I check that?
Tyler

Posted Image

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Graeme, not quite. It's almost like the weight of the lock itself overwhelms the actuator and pushes itself back down to a "locked" position. I'm pretty sure something is messed up inside the actuator itself, but I'm not exactly sure where your latch spring comes into play. How do I check that?

Tyler,

The latch spring helps to overcome gravity.  If the actuator fires in and out with 12V, then you're good.  They don't have that much force; they only have to 'tip' the latch.

Graeme

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

Tyler,

The latch spring helps to overcome gravity.  If the actuator fires in and out with 12V, then you're good.  They don't have that much force; they only have to 'tip' the latch.

Graeme

Ahh. I see now. I thought that the spring was built into the actuator. I need a latch spring then. It does fire when 12v are applied, and does not have that much force. I also need one for the drivers side rear door.
Tyler

Posted Image

myroverleaks

myroverleaks

Navigator

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • So Cal
  • 2000 P38
  • 1974 Series 3 NAD

Tyler,

Regards,

Graeme

Tyler,

Graeme

Graeme knows, This is great advice and it should be looked at first. Those latches suck and make me never wanting to own a disco/classic ever again.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I bought some generic lock actuators for mine. I replaced all but the drivers door because that one has 5 wires going to it. A classic will be on both front doors since that's the main control for the system lock. If you can turn the key and arm your alarm system then you need something original or figure out how the little switch inside works. I've taken mine apart for a few days trying to figure it out.

I found these online. Should fit directly in yours without much modification. It goes on much easier than you think. Just figure out the direction of the lock before you button up everything (when you lock your door, the lock should move into the lock position). They cost almost nothing. Maybe $20 for all four. I paid more from a local stereo shop. Found out the hard way but hey it works.

Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1454306174395.jpg   165.76KB   4 downloads

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
  • RedRover likes this

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
You only need the actuators. And they fit into the original location.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

I replaced all of mine also with the cheap ones, and been working fine for over a year now...

• RedRover likes this

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,418 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Those latches suck and make me never wanting to own a disco/classic ever again.

Agreed - they are annoying and I currently have the fuse pulled to not deal with it... never so annoying I would think to give up my beloved rover though... I just imagine I'm in a pre-actuator RRC... B)
  • TomOwen likes this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Looks like you have plenty of help and a variety of ideas...

I would only add what some may find obvious but while it's apart, apply grease to everything you can see and even a few things you can't.. I used a zip tie (flat, skinny and long enough) to apply to the internals around the latch and lock on rear doors... This worked wonders for eliminating what you describe. 

Good luck,

Tom

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users