Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 Battery suggestions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3

Hello everyone- 

I'm in need of a new battery for my LR3. Right now I have a Interstate battery and I've had it for 2-3 years. It just died on me and since I have a Traxide Duel battery kit I got to jump myself! I had heard at the Camel Trophy event that there had been some discussions about what are some good batteries. Don had mentioned thad he had put in some massive battery but he doesn't run a duel kit. My second battery is a optima. Just looking for what people recommend.

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
I put a Duralast Platinum in my DII, but I have not been that impressed. It lasted a whopping 2 months. Well, at least I can get a free replacement. I hear that the Sears Diehard is a rebranded Odyssey, which will probably be my choice once I run out of free replacements.

Edited by lilcrawler, 31 January 2016 - 06:24 PM.

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

I have had good luck in all weather with the Interstate MTP-49/H8. Pretty good reviews, see it suggested all the time. This battery has been on the truck for a few years now so I like it alright. This might be the one you have already.

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

myroverleaks

myroverleaks

Navigator

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • So Cal
  • 2000 P38
  • 1974 Series 3 NAD

I wouldn't recommend Interstate batteries/Johnson Control. They last just long enough to get through their weak warranty. Look at who offers the longest free replacement warranty. Land rovers are hard on batteries. 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I wouldn't recommend Interstate batteries/Johnson Control. They last just long enough to get through their weak warranty. Look at who offers the longest free replacement warranty. Land rovers are hard on batteries. 

Agreed, not a huge Interstate fan.

I made some mods to my rig to accommodate a group 31 battery.  I can walk somebody through it if you really want to, but you can get nearly as much power from the OEM size (group 94 or something...have to look that up).

I went with an Odyssey AGM sold through Sears as their marine Diehard Platinum.   It's a hell of a battery - if you have the ability to charge/maintain it.  And few people do -it's very particular about the specs and a stock Rover's alternator/regulator won't do it.  So about 6 months in I'm ready to replace it.

I'll be sticking with AGM for a couple of reasons.  First the low self-discharge rate.  My truck sits for a week or 2 pretty regularly between drives since it's not my daily driver.  Second is that it's fully sealed; you could literally mount it upside down if you wanted and it won't leak or outgas (unless you seriously over-charge it).  And lastly, AGMs make a good deep cycle platform which is what you need for house loads like a winch, fridge, lights, etc.

Probably the best deal on an AGM would be the Dekka Intimidator line.  I'm considering this as a replacement.   The group 31 is under $250.

The battery I want to use is the Northstar AGM group 31, but I need to do some checking.  The specs say it's 4/10" taller than the other group 31s, which won't fit for me.  I'm super-tight on vertical clearance to the hood and I wouldn't want to give up that space.  It's also more expensive than the Dekka, clocking in closer to $300.  But it's the closest match spec-wise to the Odyssey.

Tomorrow maybe i'll pull the Odyssey out of the LR3 and take my own measurements to see if the Northstar will fit.  

In the past, people had good luck with Optima, but then they moved their manufacturing to Mexico and the quality went to hell.  I've heard rumors that the latest production is beginging to get back up to snuff, but I haven't event bothered to look up the specs on their group 31 to see how it compares based on the many negative comments I've heard up till now.

Again, remember you can't fit a Group 31 in an LR3 without mods.  It can be done but it's not a drop-in.

• BEAR likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109
I bought an Interstate at wheel works for $149.00 but I'm not impressed and will replace it with one of Don's suggested ones sometime before the Baja trip.

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3

Hey Don you have me thinking about the Intimidator Dekka. How much work is it to "make it fit"? and would you be able to help me out? Just curious though is this overkill since I'm already running a duel battery kit? 

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

IMG_1224-S.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

If you're already running a dual battery I wouldn't do the cutting needed to install a group 31 size battery in the original position.  

You can get an OEM sized  (group 94R) AGM Intemidator that should drop right in with no mods.  It's not quite as powerful as the larger group 31 but should be well up to the job since you're already running a dual setup.  

For reference, here are the specs-

AGM Intimidator, 94R        AGM Intimidator, 31        Northstar 31

Reserve capacity                                140                              200                             220

CCA                                                    800                              800                            1150

A/h (20 hr rate)                                     80                               105                             103

Just looking at the specs between the two Intimidation you can see the main advantage of the larger group 31 is it's deep cycle characteristics.  With a dual battery setup you won't need that as much, so i wouldn't jump to mod the truck to accept the larger and more expensive battery right away.

I made a call to my battery distributor and they can get the group 94R Deka in a few days; it's not a brand they normally stock, so my price isn't great.  It would be $160 + tx.  No shipping of course as they just drop them off for me.  I would need a core to return, but that can wait a few days and doesn't need to be at time of purchase.

• RON CT110 and BEAR like this

Don

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport

I've been using the Durlast Gold H8-DLG for my Primary,

and the Odyssey Extreme PC-1200 for my Secondary:

You can see the specs in the photo.

Attached Files

Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
I'm using sears diehard Agm in my other car - pretty good so far - definitely go Agm for reasons Don states - and if u decide to get sears - order it on-line to pick up in store- price for me was much cheaper that way . I heard good Things about the bosch agms at pepboys as well - I think jci makes most batteries for many of these and the other auto store brands - but maybe to slightly different specs in the case of guys like Sears and Bosch ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
In most common sizes the Sears diehard platinum is made by Odyssey and is good battery, however the group 31 has the oddball charging requirements so I can't recomend that particular model.

Don

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3

well Don I think I may take your advice. Thats the same cost I believe for the interstate. I could come out to your place and do the swap or if your in the area we could meet somewhere and do it. It would have to be after the 10th though. 

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD

IMG_1224-S.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

No need to come all the way out to my place just for a battery.  We could do it one night at my office in Oakland.  Just let me know if you want me to order one so I can get it here.

Don

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3

I have a class in Oakland February 8-11 so I'll be out there. I didn't know you had an office in oakland

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD

IMG_1224-S.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Kinda, sorta have an office. Mainly it's just where I keep my boat for a place to stay during the week.

I'll get a battery ordered
  • TomOwen likes this

Don

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

Don, do you have any photos of what you needed to do to make it fit? 

Just curious as I'm trying to decide on going that direction, or the dual battery direction. 

Thanks!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I don't have any photos at the moment but it's not a quick and easy job.  There was cursing involved, of course I was trying to get it done in the middle of the night right before leaving on a trip so that didn't help my mood that particular day.

Here's what I remember doing to make the Northstar group 31 fit:

mod the battery hold-down to fit the larger battery

mod the positive cable ANL fuse holder - I cut the plastic holder away and just plasti-dipped it with several layers for short protection

remove the hood liner for access and trim away the hood brace that runs directly over the positive terminal.  Glue on a piece of rubber (I used a chunk of truck bead mat, about 3/8" thick rubber).  this is for protection to prevent the positive from arcing to the hood if something goes wrong in an accident/hard off-road use/hold down failure

I don't remember if I mod'ed the ground cable; I think I did but can't recall specifically.

mod the battery tray to accommodate the larger battery - the main goal is to get it lower down since the Gp31 format is taller than the OEM Gp94R.

make a positive post cover - since the Northstar is a marine type battery it has both automotive posts and studs which allows 2 points to attach large cables such as a winch but you'll want to make a cover that will accommodate both connections and whatever cabling you're running.

Again, I would not recommend this battery for a normal user.  I would not recommend it if you're running a dual battery set-up (no need for it then).  I run it because I don't want a dual battery and still run a fridge, winch, lights, etc.  I don't tend to base-camp for very long and don't have solar or a dual battery for that reason but I did want to make sure I'd have plenty of power to keep the beer cold if I'm sitting still on a hot night for 24hrs.  Any longer than that and I tend to get stir-crazy and go trail hunting anyway so one big battery works fine for me.  I've yet to run it down.

There are lots of energy solutions depending on what your end goal is.  This is just one way to go and it requires a willingness to cut things on your truck so it's not for everybody.

• aebrownleeiv likes this

Don

aebrownleeiv

aebrownleeiv

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • East Bay/WC
  • 2006 LR3 SE HD

Thanks for that, I'll have to check it out if I can ever make it to one of the events. 

Reason I asked, is when I first got my LR3, I was looking pretty hard at that little cubbyhole trying to figure out if I could fit a proper sized battery in there or not. 

Cutting doesn't bother me too much :) 

RON CT110

RON CT110

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • 2004 DII
  • 2007 LR3 V8 HSE/HD

Revisiting an old post.

Hey Bear, what did you end up buying?  Was is the Deka AGM Intimidator 94R?  If yes, how is the battery so far about 10 months into use by now?

And Don, is the $160+tax (I have the old battery or core for you) pricing still avail?  

I see the Intimidator 94R battery online for $183.95 + ground shipping $59 + tax = well over $250.  http://www.remybatte...4r-battery.html

I did a bit of searching; it turns out that the East Penn Manufacturing (the company that makes Deka batteries) signed a deal with Duracell to release batteries under the Duracell name, and one of the initial releases are premium automotive AGM batteries:  http://www.eastpennm...tive-batteries/

More findings...   In its initial releases, Duracell has a battery for the LR3 called the Ultra Platinum AGM Group 94R for $239.99 avail @ your local Batteries+Bulbs.  With a 10% discount code CDP0047 if purchased online and picked up at the store, comes to $216+tax no shipping charge.

Same size L 12 7/16, W 6 7/8, H 7 1/2, and CCA and a/h @ 20hr are the same as the Deka 94R.

The difference is the warranty.  The Duracell comes with 48 months vs Deka comes with 36 plus I have a local store to deal with (Batteries+Bulbs).

I am tempted to go with the Duracell AGM battery for its longer warranty, and it appears to be a better battery plus it cost a bit less than the Interstate MTP49/H8 (Wheel Works sells it for $219.99+tax).

Edited by RON CT110, 10 November 2017 - 12:32 AM.

Tread Lightly Trainer: http://www.treadlightly.org/
SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadven...?trip_id=178167
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away" - Anonymous

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'll have to call my battery vendor to check the current pricing.  I'll check in the morning.

You are right that there are only a handful of battery manufacturers in the states and many of the retail brands are built by the same guys.  (example - East Penn also makes all the West Marine branded batteries).  Does that mean they're all the same and just have a different logo, or are there differences under the skin?  Don't know - I suspect both cases are true depending on the specific example in question.

Edited by DHappel, 09 November 2017 - 05:11 PM.

• RON CT110 likes this

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users