Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

RRC Radio Help

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 873 posts

So I am wiring up my car radio (not HAM) and I have hit a wall.  I don't really want to pin out every wire in my amplifier circuit but I may have to.  Here is my issue.  I have found some diagrams online about the factory radio connectors.  I hooked them up with my own adapter to a newer kenwood head unit.  As soon as I connect ANY of the Grounds for any of the speaker channels it says "SHORT protect"  Does any one know if the factory systems uses a "Common Ground" speaker wiring or has run in to this issue.  

Any help would be appreciated. 

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1
I doubt this is of much help.but the speakers are two wire. I have a factory head unit here and can check the output side if you'd like (8vs.5)... Good luck and let me know on the output. Tom

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

Not much help .wiring diagrams 

http://carstereohelp..._LandRover1.htm

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Colin I looked into his too. So they are speaker level inputs not line level (like it would normally be with an amp). I read a lot and everyone who does try and leave the speakers and amps intact seems to get (at best) a background hum when n using the radio. The subwoofer control also goes away. Also the amps will no longer function. My mm plan is to eventually replace the wiring and speakers. If you find a real solution that let you preserve most of it PLEASE let me know.

Sent from my SM-T807V using Tapatalk

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 873 posts
I found that one lutzi it helped but still no luck.

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Stereos are over-rated.  If it doesn't make it go, it's a waste of time.

In all honesty, I'd assume any of the OEM stuff would be pretty poor anyway.  Auto makers didn't start to get serous about decent stereos until fairly recently with their high end models.  If you really want a decent stereo I think you're going to replace EVERYTHING so I wouldn't knock yourself out trying to build up something using stock speakers and/or amps.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users