Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Journey to Coyote Flat - 7/1 -7/4

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
_DSC1479.jpg

Since I missed the last trip that SCLR did up to Coytoe Flat due to a busted axle while working my way south from Lassen NP and no one seemed to make a go of it in the last couple of years from either club I figure I'll lead a trip up there this year.

Now what may you ask is Coyote Flat all about? Well, for starters it's pretty remote, being around an hour drive from Bishop on two track with some switchbacks . Secondly, its waaaay up there elevation wise. Once the road levels off from the climb up the hill to the plateau proper you are sitting at 9600' of elevation. You can drive your truck all the way up to about 11,750 where you can overlook Green Lake with sweeping vistas of the Palisades Mountain Range and see the Palisade and Norman Clyde Glaciers. Whaaa? Glaciers you say? Yup, we do indeed have a few left in CA, albeit small compared to glaciers in Alaska, and shrinking due to the drought from the last few years. For those that like to fish, there are a few lakes in the area that hold fish. Funnel Lake (for rainbows) which you can drive to on a pretty rough road. Rocky Bottom Lake (rainbows) is just east over a rise from Funnel Lake. A bit further south you have Baker (brookies & cutthroat) and Hidden Lakes (goldens) which are both located in John Muir Wilderness. It's around a mile hike from the trail head to those two. For the more adventurous anglers you can hike all the way to Thunder and Lighting Lake, which is about 1.5 miles beyond Baker Lake to fish for brookies. Want to do some stargazing at night? Well you are in luck as there will be a new moon that weekend so there will be optimal conditions for seeing the milky way in all its greatness (as long as mother nature cooperates) There are old mines to go take a look at.. The remnants of an old airstrip that is rumored to have been used by skunkworks for high altitude testing is located on the plateau as well.. The list goes on and on..

For your reading pleasure here's a thread from the trip that Jim Biram from SCLR lead a few years ago: https://www.sclr.org...near-bishop-ca?

Chris Solis led an NCLR trip up there about a month after the SCLR trip the same year: http://norcalrovers....as-trip-thread/

I am scheduling this trip for the 4th of July weekend. Since the holiday falls on a Monday making it a 3 day weekend for most, which can usually be parlayed into a 4 day weekend by adding on Friday. The general plan will be to rendezvous in Bishop at Vons @ Noon on Friday July 1st. We will fuel up and head west out of town and climb up the hill to plateau where Coyote Flat is located. Depending on how busy it is up there (it will be a holiday weekend) we will try to camp at the super nice spot I found during the recce trip. If the primary campsite is taken we will try for one of the other two sites I found on my recon run. On Saturday we'll poke around and explore the roads and take in the area and see what we see. I've found a  couple of Geocaches in the area as well and added them to my GPS so we can have a go at finding them as well. On Sunday Morning I plan to lead a hike from the plateau above Green Lake to go do a little peakbagging and go summit a peak called Cloudripper (13,525') and on the way there or the way back tag Vagabond Peak (13,374'). For those who aren't up to a hike at elevation, you can explore the area or just relax in camp. I'm sure as the time draws near we'll have something cooked up to keep everyone entertained. Monday the 4th we'll strike camp and make our way back down the hill to our respective homes.

Google Maps Link to Vons in Bishop: https://www.google.c...!4d-118.3913797

Ham Radio Frequencies to be used are:

Primary: 145.510 simplex
Secondary: 145.525 simplex
Backup: 145.540 simplex

For those without HAM radio we will use FRS 7 with no tone.

Trip has been added to the SCLR calendar, sign up at the following link: https://sclr.org/cal...-to-coyote-flat

• dcproven likes this

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Here are some reasons to go on this tripAttached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456500138.414996.jpg   629.63KB   19 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456500167.031061.jpg   893.51KB   18 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456500203.134245.jpg   603.04KB   20 downloads
  • yarrover, erinw.rrc and psykokid like this

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Chris,

Is that a fish or a differential?

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Question-do you have to wear one-legged pants for the whole trip, or only when fishing?

OK, I may be interested in the first part of the trip but I always work on the 4th running a boat for the fireworks on the bay.  Depending on how things look as the time approaches I may be able to come up Fri/Sat/Sun.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

Coyote Flat...I remember doing that after dark back in 2007 or 8.  We went with our friend/guide Len and it was myself, Enrique, David Bregman, and Phil.  We came home at like 1 am to town...

Such great trails out there.

• DiscoChef likes this

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

For those that cant make it up over the July 4th weekend but would still like to check out the area I'm planning on running a recce the weekend of June 11-12. The plan will be to meet up in Bishop around 11 or so on Saturday morning, grab any last minute supplies and gas up at Vons then depart for the Flats.

The main purpose for the recce is the need to scope out some campsites that will fit a large group while we are up there. I currently have 10 trucks from SCLR signed up for this trip, plus any additional from NCLR that want to attend as well. That being said, I would like to have a plan A, B, and C as far as campsite selection is concerned in case there are a few other people up there due to the long Holiday weekend.

• dcproven likes this

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Definitely interested in the recon run since I can't make the real trip. I'll confirm when it gets closer.
  • Jethro likes this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Just a reminder that I'll be running an overnight recon on the weekend of the 11-12 of this month. Meet in Bishop at Vons @ 11:00, fuel up and head up to the Flat to poke around and check things out.

Also, can a mod please move this to the trip section for me? :)

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

Unless something unexpected shows up, I'll be there the 11th @ 11am

what HAM frec you want to use?

Want to drive up together? we need to take most of the same roads anyway, if you want. We can sync up mid next week for specifics once I know for sure I can make it.

Andrew Winding

Andrew Winding

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States
  • 2000 Discovery 2
I might be in for this, I have the 1st off and have been trying to plan something but this sounds pretty awesome

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
Due to a combination of mechanical problems with my truck and bad weather I delayed doing a recon run of the area by week. I went up over this past weekend with David and logged about 80 miles on dirt while checking out the majority of the roads in this area. Found a nice plan A campsite that will fit everyone in the group handily, and a few other alternates just in case. 

Having never been up there before I was surprised actually how big that the area of the Flat is. To give those of you that have been to Monache Meadows a frame of reference, Coyote Flat has about 3-4 times more area, with bigger mountains surrounding it, high lakes, and more rolling terrain.

To whet everyone's appetite here's a few pics from this weekend:

Looking across the valley where South Lake and Sabrina Lake are located, with the Sierra crest spreading as far as the eye can see..
IMG_20160618_155917304_HDR.jpg

Green lake with Vagabond peak being the high peak just left of center.
inconsolable_range_green_lake.jpg

End of the road at 11,600' with green lake below, 600' down the cliff behind us.
_DSC1417.jpg

Looking south along Coyote Ridge
IMG_20160618_184446889_HDR-PANO.jpg

Funnel Lake
IMG_20160619_062414575_HDR.jpg

There be Badgers!!!
_DSC1434.jpg

Long pano going from south to north with the Palisades, Inconsolable Range and Coyote Ridge visible.
coyote_flat_pano.jpg

The goals for our hike Sunday morning: Cloudripper on the Left and Vagabond Peak on the right.
_DSC1472.jpg

View across the south end of the meadow to the Palisades and the Middle Pal & Norman Clyde Glaciers to the left and Mt. Sill sticking up from behind the ridgeline of Sky Haven. 5 of CA's 14,000' peaks are located in the Palisades.
_DSC1479.jpg

Looking south across the meadow towards the campsite area nestled within the foxtail pines:
campsite_a_003.jpg

• AlysonH, Timbo and DiscoD like this

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Having never been up there before I was surprised actually how big that the area of the Flat is. To give those of you that have been to Monache Meadows a frame of reference, Coyote Flat has about 3-4 times more area, with bigger mountains surrounding it, high lakes, and more rolling terrain.

To whet everyone's appetite here's a few pics from this weekend:

Looking across the valley where South Lake and Sabrina Lake are located, with the Sierra crest spreading as far as the eye can see..

Jake,

Looks awful .... glad I can't make it ....

Regards,

Graeme

• TomOwen likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Jake,

Looks awful .... glad I can't make it ....

Regards,

Graeme

Indeed... You and me both...  :P

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Just last night I found out that for the first time in about 8 years I _DO NOT_ have to work on the 4th!  Hooray!

• Jethro likes this

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Just last night I found out that for the first time in about 8 years I _DO NOT_ have to work on the 4th!  Hooray!

Very nice Don! It will be nice to see you and Michelle again.

Other than Don, who else from NCLR is planning on making the trip up? Just trying to get a general head count as far as the amount of trucks we are going to have on this trip. If you are planning on coming can you please do me a favor and register for the trip at the following link on the SCLR site: https://sclr.org/cal...to-coyote-flat 

Thanks!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Hmmmmm...couldn't get the link to work on my phone. I'll check it out when I get to a real computer.

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Hmmmmm...couldn't get the link to work on my phone. I'll check it out when I get to a real computer.

Don,

I got a conformation email that you had registered so you're all good. I checked the calendar and you're there as registered. Bits of our site can be wonky on mobile devices for whatever reason.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Very nice Don! It will be nice to see you and Michelle again.

Other than Don, who else from NCLR is planning on making the trip up? Just trying to get a general head count as far as the amount of trucks we are going to have on this trip. If you are planning on coming can you please do me a favor and register for the trip at the following link on the SCLR site: https://sclr.org/cal...to-coyote-flat 

Thanks!

I'm back to a weak maybe. We got a dog last month, so sticking around with the fireworks may not be so great after all. I'd love to go, just need to convince my wife it's OK to get away from everyone on a holiday. :D 

• DHappel likes this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'm back to a weak maybe. We got a dog last month, so sticking around with the fireworks may not be so great after all. I'd love to go, just need to convince my wife it's OK to get away from everyone on a holiday. :D

OK???  I consider it mandatory!

BTW Jake, that wasn't a Honey Badger was it?

• TomOwen likes this

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

OK???  I consider it mandatory!

Exactly.. who wants to be home for the holidays. Better to be out relaxing somewhere away from the craziness..

BTW Jake, that wasn't a Honey Badger was it?

Nope, just an American Badger. Still mean little critters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users