Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Journey to Coyote Flat - 7/1 -7/4

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Honey Badger don't give a .....  oh wait, this is a family friendly site.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Exactly.. who wants to be home for the holidays. Better to be out relaxing somewhere away from the craziness..

Nope, just an American Badger. Still mean little critters.

We typically get together with family for various holidays. I say we should just take advantage of the 3 day weekend and get out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • TomOwen likes this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

We typically get together with family for various holidays. I say we should just take advantage of the 3 day weekend and get out.

We'll be leaving on Monday morning so that we'll be home by early afternoon. In time to shower, nap and then go spend the evening with friends and watch fireworks.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

We're 'family'  :)

• TomOwen and Jethro like this

Don

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

I did my blog thing also, in case anyone *needs* more pictures of this awful place :)

I think it has become my favorite spot in the sierras, so far.

http://dcprovenlandr...ern-sierra.html

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Looks like Michele and I are the only NCLR people coming?  

(slowly shakes head)

so disappointing.....you guys are going to leave me to fend for myself amidst all these SoCal guys?  

If I don't return, assume they've abducted me and are forcing me to learn to surf and say things like 'gnarly waves bra' and dispatch a party of Mendocino hippies to rescue me.

On a more serious note, I see we have Bishop at noon Friday as the rendezvous.  Do you have a radio freq or location set yet?  I'm not sure if we're going to leave early Friday or come up Thursday evening and just grab a hotel that night.  It's about a 5.5 hr drive for us depending on stops.

• DiscoChef likes this

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

On a more serious note, I see we have Bishop at noon Friday as the rendezvous.  Do you have a radio freq or location set yet?  I'm not sure if we're going to leave early Friday or come up Thursday evening and just grab a hotel that night.  It's about a 5.5 hr drive for us depending on stops.

Rendezvous point is the Vons in Bishop. There is a Vons/Safeway Fuel station at that store so if you've saved up fuel points it's helps bring the price down a bit. I somehow had a buck off a gallon when we were up there last weekend. There is the Vons and a K-Mart in the same plaza if you need any last minute bits or bobs..

Radio Freqs:

145.510 Primary

145.525 Secondary

145.540 as a backup

FRS: 7 w/ no tone

Since it's more of a straight shot here in Socal it takes about 4.5 hours to get there. I believe that Jim Biram is heading up Thursday evening, not sure whom else of our merry band is heading up the day before as well.

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

I added some info to the first post, including a google maps link to the Vons in Bishop. I'll send an email out through the SCLR Calendar on Wednesday evening to everyone that has signed up for the trip with my contact info and links to weather forecast and the usual what to bring list. Currently Inyo NF has not enacted fire restrictions so as of today we will still be able to have a campfire. I will keep an eye on things as the week progresses and update as needed. Also, if you need ice for a cooler - overfill in advance before departing. The Vons in Bishop charges about $5 bucks a bag if memory serves from the week before. 

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Poked around a bit and found a few geocaches in the area and added them to my GPS so that will give us something to search for on Saturday while out driving around.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I've never done the geocache thing.  Might be interesting.

Don

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

Hey Jake and group,

A friend of mine lost a dog in the Bishop area a couple of days ago, if you happen to see a mix of golden retriever and greyhound (skinny, tall, blonde, short hair) with a tag and a phone number on it, it might be him.

Hopefully he will find it before the weekend, since it is easy to identify, but just in case... if you happen to see this dog wandering around...

Edited by dcproven, 28 June 2016 - 08:08 AM.

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

Looks like Michele and I are the only NCLR people coming?  

(slowly shakes head)

so disappointing.....you guys are going to leave me to fend for myself amidst all these SoCal guys?  

If I don't return, assume they've abducted me and are forcing me to learn to surf and say things like 'gnarly waves bra' and dispatch a party of Mendocino hippies to rescue me.

Thanks for always providing a good laugh Don!

Don't worry...if we don't find any Hippies (too many millennials) I'll gather a few "cholos with machetes" with spinners on their LR3's and come getcha but we'll get you back to your home turf!

• TomOwen and AdvRovr like this

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Anyone want to borrow my Crux bridging ladders? I'm trying to get a club discount and would love some action shots. We used one to level Ted's RTT last weekend but never had a need on the trail. Mine are the shorter non heavy duty ones but plenty strong for our trucks. bed93c7ec24adfb03210069f39bfb2ce.jpg7da0885e92b24b26dfebe682f2a1aaba.jpg93f606d62fa42e7b210c1ea4cc75c7da.jpg

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

And like that our ability to have a campfire was dashed by the powers that be... http://www.fs.usda.g...id=FSEPRD507772

That being said I'll bring my propane campfire. That's the reason why I got it in the first place.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I have a propane one I'll bring as well.

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

And like that our ability to have a campfire was dashed by the powers that be... http://www.fs.usda.g...id=FSEPRD507772

That being said I'll bring my propane campfire. That's the reason why I got it in the first place.

Bummer. :(

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,951 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Bummer. :(

Bummer?  Are you upset because you've decided to come after all??  

I need some help with the whole NCLR representing thing you know.  Even Michele has bailed on me so I'm rolling solo.

Don

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Sadly, no. Too much going on around here this weekend. 

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

We ended up having 8 trucks start out on the run on Friday. Got up to the Flat and our plan A campsite was taken so we went to the plan B site at the end of Baker Creek right next to the big meadow. My son apparently is quite sensitive to elevation and was suffering from AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness, an adverse reaction some have to high elevation). My family stayed at camp to allow my son to convalesce and with hopes that his condition would improve.  I ended up riding shotgun with Don while 6 of the 8 trucks went and poked around a few different tracks in the area, saw an old ranchers cabin, found a geocache, checked out an old mine and went up to a high ridge overlooking the sierra crest where we had lunch. The group got back to camp around 3:30 and my son's condition hadn't improved and he was still feeling pretty miserable. Ky from SCLR's youngest son was also having trouble with the altitude so my family and Ky's family decided to pack up and head down the hill in hopes that losing some elevation would help the boys feel better. We said our good byes to the rest of the group that were staying and were on our way back down the hill around 18:00. Made it down to Bishop around 19:30. Ky and his family were going to camp at a campground in Bishop they had used before and my family made the decision to head back home after fueling up the truck and grabbing a bite to eat.  Sort of a bummer to have to cut the trip short but it is what it is. The only real solution for AMS is to get the afflicted person back to a lower altitude. This was the ticket, as the boys were feeling better by the time we rolled into Bishop. The mountains and trails will be there next time. We still had a great time during the short duration we were there.

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

That sucks, but altitude is no fun some times, my headache went away when we went down, that's for sure..

Anyway

Good to know all went well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users