Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Journey to Coyote Flat - 7/1 -7/4

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

That sucks, but altitude is no fun some times, my headache went away when we went down, that's for sure..

Anyway

Good to know all went well

Yeah, had a good time while we were there though..

Don, Jose, Richard and Amy were planning on bagging Cloudripper and Vagabond Peak this morning. I think Jim, Shawn, and John were going to hang out and fish some and then go explore a bit more until the rest of the group got back.

• dcproven likes this

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
True, but the honey badger just don't care....an American might

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

So Jose and I did Cloud Ripper and Vagabond.  We got up at 5:30 and headed out at 6, started the hike about 8:30.  All in all my Gaia track says a total ascent of 3597' and distance of 6.7 miles.  It also shows a max altitude of 13,445', though the sign at the peak said 13,531'  and the topo map says 13,525'.  Total hiking time was 6:18.  Though I didn't have much in the way of soreness after the hike (I feared my knee would be complaining) I did get a nasty headache on the way back down that took the rest of the evening and a couple doses each of ibuprofen and Tylenol to finally clear up about 9 PM.

Richard and Amy (well, more Amy I think) weren't thrilled with our departure time so they stayed in camp that morning then did the hike from camp to the top of Green Lake where we had parked to start the hike.  Apparently it didn't take them much longer to make the hike than it did for Jim and some of the others to drive it.  We made contact via HAM with Jim while we were on the peak having lunch and they were just Richard and Amy were just arriving at the spot we had left our trucks.

A few of the guys did some fishing in Baker lake, about 1.5 miles from camp as well.  They were catching trout about as fast as they could put a fly in the water, but none were bigger than perhaps 6" so it took longer to toss them back than to catch them.

Even without the hike/climb (I'm told this was a class III scramble; there was certainly plenty of scrambling involved near each peak) there were plenty of great views.  The area is very diverse.  Some parts feel like Death Valley, some like the Sierras, and some like Colorado.  A couple of times you would come over a hill and literally be stopped in your tracks by the view of the Sierra Crest.  Just way beyond anything I can capture in pics, but here is my gallery:

https://goo.gl/photo...oxSyNjD3ZNitYy7

All in all a great trip - too bad more of you couldn't make it up.  Camping at 10,000' is a bit of a challenge but well worth it.  I haven't spent much time on the eastern slope, but I can tell I need to plan more stuff up that way.  It's a great half-way area for each club so hopefully we can put some more events together in the future.

• dcproven and psykokid like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

A few selected pics

IMG_20160702_133159890_zpswolw6t47.jpg

IMG_20160702_174038193_zpsg9txl6hv.jpg

IMG_20160703_073251338_zpseeovavho.jpg

IMG_20160703_075759242_zpsow2d7fzu.jpg

IMG_20160703_072608113_zpstprsrpee.jpg

IMG_20160703_114830331_zps1prttodd.jpg

• DiscoChef and dcproven like this

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Nice pics Don! Glad you were able to make it up and had a good time while up there.

I'm super jelly that you and Jose got to bag those two peaks. I had been planning this trip for months and it was bittersweet to have to leave early but it is what it is. The mountains will still be there for another trip. In my experience the soreness from a hike like that, if you aren't used to hiking a lot, will kick in the second day after the hike. Let me know how you feel tomorrow :)

Coyote Flat is such a diverse place with so much to see. You could spend a week up there and still not see everything. Maybe some time in the future we can do another trip up there to try the "most difficult" rated trail that goes from the south end of the flat down into Big Pine.

I haven't had a chance to go through my pics from the trip as of yet, as soon as I do I'll post a link to the album. 

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

I stitched together a couple of pics that Don took at the top of Cloudripper looking south over the Palisades and then looked from Cloudripper in Peakfinder to come up with the below attached image as to ID all the peaks. Pretty neat! Here's a clickable link to peakfinder where you can pan around and zoom in as well : https://www.peakfind...ame=Cloudripper

palisades_from_cloudripper.jpg

PeakFinder_N037.1425_W118.jpg

• dcproven likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Interesting.  I'm not quite able to make out the peak nearly in the center of the horizon.  Best guess from the drawing is Mt. Sill, but the profile doesn't reallys match the photo.

Be sure to share the link with the SCLR guys, and let us know if they post up any pics/story/etc.

Don

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Interesting.  I'm not quite able to make out the peak nearly in the center of the horizon.  Best guess from the drawing is Mt. Sill, but the profile doesn't reallys match the photo.

The peak in the center is Sill, the pointy highest one on the right is Mt. Agassiz, and the highest peak on the left is Birch Mountain. You can sort of fill in the gaps from there. They also have an app you can download and use offline. Wish I would have had it when we were on the high ridge line on Saturday looking west.

Anyhow, here are my pics from the trip. I didn't take as many as I normally do for whatever reason. https://goo.gl/photo...GU9XhMT1GwBL8eA

• dcproven likes this

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
Don. I would have loved to join you on this trip but here's the thing, I have a normal job. But I notice you can get weekdays off all the time. Are you hiring? The only ocean going vessel I have ever worked on was a submarine but I figure that is pretty close to the stuff you work on minus the nuclear reactor and all. So how about it. Got a job for me?

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I suppose that depends on how cheap you work...  Besides, if I hire somebody it'll be so I can take more time off, right?

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users