Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Disco Bear got a facelift

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE
Jethro came over and we got the safari guard bumper on, winch on and operational (after a small fireworks show) took off faux sliders and prepped to get the new ones on and slapped on the 32 inch tires..Disco Bear is looking good...also threw on the bright orange grill...for now...can't wait to get shocks amd springs amongst a few other goodies...

3ae328e408e2030340b59ddfae85f61e.jpgd7e534bafa1a1649e86191345e7a9eb7.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  • astateofmike, lutz, Disco2Guy and 3 others like this

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Looking good! The orange grill is a nice touch. Looks like it ate a D2 G4 edition truck and the Tangiers paint is all over its teeth:)

• Jethro and DiscoBears like this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover
Pouring out a little liquor . R.I.P d1

Glad someone got use of my old parts, looking good . Now I gotta get your lift over
  • Jethro and DiscoBears like this

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Yeah, it turned out great! Now he does need the lift or he'll be starting the fender trim for those 35s sooner than later with the newly acquired cutting tools!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Gee, and they gave me grief over my orange shackles....

j/k - I dig it!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE
The learning curve was once again lessened last night...passenger side spring took a whole day and cost me a few bumps and scrapes...the driver side front suspension took me two hours...hopefully I can get the rear done this weekend...woo hoo...btw the right tools for the right job right?

• DiscoBears likes this

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE
Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1458400664953.jpg   47.55KB   7 downloads[IMG]Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1458400694077.jpg   41.62KB   7 downloadsAttached File  uploadfromtaptalk1458400701905.jpg   54.9KB   7 downloads the ohhh thats how that works moment...a moment too late...

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

... the ohhh thats how that works moment...a moment too late...

No spring compressor needed.  Disconnect the top damper (shock absorber) mounts and then jack up the vehicle on the chassis ....

Regards,

Graeme

• ndamico and DiscoBears like this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE

No spring compressor needed. Disconnect the top damper (shock absorber) mounts and then jack up the vehicle on the chassis ....

Regards,

Graeme

Limited on the 13 inch jack I have...but I found a way....the back springs were significantly easier...

• Jethro likes this

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

I have driven to a loading dock and down a flex test.  When the springs got loose, I swapped it out, moved on to the other corner...

• DiscoBears likes this

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

I have driven to a loading dock and down a flex test. When the springs got loose, I swapped it out, moved on to the other corner...

Haha!

I put frame on jack stands and bottle jack between axel and body to push axel down enough to pop springs out, I like the ramp trick!
  • DiscoBears likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE
I can almost visualize this...you mean just roll up to some shiiping warehouse that is closed on the weekend...drive up one side pop and replace...drive up other pop replace...did you remove the front shocks before hand?...I am open to tricks it just seems after this weekends experience...I need more specifics beyond...drive up a ramp and pop em off...

• DiscoBears likes this

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

You can do it easier than that.  First use the full height of the jack on the axle, and put a tall jack stand under the frame.  Next remove tires, disconnect shocks and lower axles.  They should just about hit the ground.  Watch out for those brake lines.  You don't actually have to reach the frame with your jack, just a stand.  you can block up you jack a bit with some wood to get a few extra inches if you need it.  Or swing by and you can use my jack and stands.  I wont be able to help until after sunday though.  

• DiscoBears likes this

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

I can almost visualize this...you mean just roll up to some shiiping warehouse that is closed on the weekend...drive up one side pop and replace...drive up other pop replace...did you remove the front shocks before hand?...I am open to tricks it just seems after this weekends experience...I need more specifics beyond...drive up a ramp and pop em off...

On my 88, it is trickier as the shocks are in the middle of the front springs  But yes.  I had the mounts with the bolts off on the rear, drove up, angled and when I hear the spring start to go loose...I got out and put the new one in.  each corner done, loose nut on the mounts etc to get home and off I went.

The front, I have different front towers, so I just unbolted the towers and went shockless for the mile.  Angle, ping goes the spring, replace and on my way.  

Worst part?  Getting back into the truck when it is all tippy.  Would be quicker with 2 people.

• DiscoBears likes this

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
I just put my rig on very tall jack stands and let the axle droop. Springs just came right out.
  • DiscoBears likes this
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE
Moved the winch controller from the front to the under carriage over the front armor...waterproof box and black silicone caulk where I drilled holes for the wires...did a test all works...moved the controller access next to logo...f9ff7ac84371841b57ea65fd8feea115.jpg9b44e6074c0215dd23308341d8d2cc72.jpg8878c5b0ef5fc63ce77d40e20f920cad.jpgc836afbdd94776c78af9251b14dd0d2b.jpg

• DHappel, Jethro and DiscoBears like this

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Looks really good, very clean setup. Now the double battery to run it!!!
  • DiscoBears likes this

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Way to keep the ball rolling matt
  • DiscoBears likes this

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE
Took a crack at some LEDs with a sound reactive controller lined the back for now...

• AlysonH and Jethro like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster