Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

P38 <-> D1 Parts Compatibility

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

This may be a question I have to answer myself, but...

I'm parting out one of the D1s and I know there are many GEMS engine parts that are shared between D1s and P38s. That's the easy part and I've figured out most of the compatible parts there.

Beyond that, does anyone know of any other shared parts that aren't necessarily engine related? I'd love to keep as many spares as possible for the P38. 

I know this is a stretch given the number of P38s in our group, but thought I'd ask and see. 

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Nothing!  not even the wheels.... unless you wanted a none electrically controlled transfer box.

Maybe the muffler?

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Nothing!  not even the wheels.... unless you wanted a none electrically controlled transfer box.

Maybe the muffler?

Nathan,

Come on ... the door trim clips are identical, and maybe the windshield wipers .... wheel bearings?

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Wheel bearings should be different. Didn't come with windshield wipers (LOL) and the door trim clips are long gone. 

There are other things I'm grabbing, like some of the relays and fuses that of course would be compatible. I was hoping for things like the steering rods but they appear to be different. Have an eye towards things that could break on the trail and cause issues, like a brake light switch that keeps you from leaving park, etc. (I just checked AB, apparently the brake light switch is not compatible, but the one to disable the cruise control is, for whatever that's worth). 

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Wheel bearings should be different. Didn't come with windshield wipers (LOL) and the door trim clips are long gone. 

There are other things I'm grabbing, like some of the relays and fuses that of course would be compatible. I was hoping for things like the steering rods but they appear to be different. Have an eye towards things that could break on the trail and cause issues, like a brake light switch that keeps you from leaving park, etc. (I just checked AB, apparently the brake light switch is not compatible, but the one to disable the cruise control is, for whatever that's worth). 

Chad,

Ah yes, the fuses and the tail light bulbs.  The valve dust caps, the license plate screws, wow, you'll have recouped your money soon ...

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

:P

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
Chad, you'll have better luck if you can find a DII to part out. At least then you can switch the air box cover! :P I've been seeing P38s fairly cheaply out here. You could always pick up a parts truck. But seriously, there isn't much compatibility between the D1 and P38. Heck, even the D1 and DII are vastly different, although I'm pretty sure you can switch the 5th doors between them.

Edited by lilcrawler, 29 February 2016 - 06:09 PM.

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
No more parting things out for me. I bought it because I needed a couple key things for the Classic and figured I might as well try to make some money back on it, but overall it hasn't been worth my time. I figured my last real push was to see about scavenging for the p38.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Wait, so you bought extra Rovers just because they were cheap you could, now you don't know what to do with them.

Why does this sound familiar?

• AdvRovr likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users