Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Sliders for the LR3/D3

- - - - - LR3 rock sliders

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

The time has come, at least after the diff gets redone, I need sliders. 

They need to be good for jacking with a hilift. 

I noticed a few early examples were attached to the sill (body) and not frame. 

Favorites anyone? Low profile would be nice but if you guys feel the angle for the hilift is too close to the doors I am okay with the nerf tubing that sticks out on some. 

Thanks,

• Jethro likes this

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

tactical is the most popular. i have them on my LR4.  they are very nice with a wide footprint.

• Jethro and DiscoDavis like this

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Given the way the Hi Lift seems to always want to lean in towards the body when jacking, I'd go for a nerf bar option. Those extra inches away from the body will come in handy. It will also offer better protection in cases where you might need to pivot off a rock or log. You can loop a strap around them, and, the nerf will give you something to stand on. A well designed set will not stick out past your tires.

The RTE sliders for the D2 only attach to the sill. If you come down hard on a rock, they can tweak and catch the bottom of the doors and make it difficult to to open/close. You learn to carry a BFH for that. Outriggers to the frame can help prevent that, but they also open the possibility of catching on something underneath.

• William Stephenson and DiscoDavis like this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I have had 3 different sets of sliders. Go with the Tactical 4x4.

• DiscoDavis likes this
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I too think the Tactical is the best option for the LR3/4.  They give you a flat plate all the way from the sill into the frame rail so not only do they act as a slider they act as a skidplate as well.  They also fully cover the compressor.  If you get them with the nerf bar (highly recommended) you can lift from them with a hi-lift but of course you need to be careful any time you're using one since they can easily slip and leave a dent.

If you want to see some in person I'm planning to have my LR3 at Drew's BBQ in Vallejo next week.  Come to think of it, I think Drew has Tactical sliders on his LR3 as well.

http://tacticalrover...m/Products.html

• DiscoDavis likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Excellent feedback everyone! Looks like tactical it is. These bolt to the frame, not sill correct? 

I have seen Don's at the BOD meeting, which is what got me thinking... I love the hilift but if you have seen my rear hatch you can observe the small dent I put into it when I was testing my switch and the truck shifted on the jack...

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
I'm not sure how sliders on a D3 work, but on my truck, I have hem tied into the frame. I would recommend nerf bars for sure. As well as having a handy step, I've used them to pivot around rocks, and they offer generally more protection to the doors.
  • DiscoDavis likes this
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Yes they bolt to the frame and after watching others use the hi lift as well as attempting myself, I'm looking at the X jack exhaust jack for the LR4. The sliders will help either way by giving a bigger footprint.
  • Jethro and DiscoDavis like this

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

Yes they bolt to the frame and after watching others use the hi lift as well as attempting myself, I'm looking at the X jack exhaust jack for the LR4. The sliders will help either way by giving a bigger footprint.

I wouldn't replace the Hi-Lift with the X-Jack. In my experience it packs up fairly large, and I'm pretty sure my family has gone through three. You have to be pretty careful if you are on any sort debris that might pop it. You also have to be careful of the exhaust; the heat will melt a hole through it. I don't think that it's as versatile as the hi-lift. It usually gets stored with the pull-pal: at home for most trips. Next time I see you, I can bring it and you can see if it will fit your ideal application.
  • DiscoDavis likes this
Tyler

Posted Image

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Hi Lifts are always risky.  I hear Graeme has a slight dent in the hood of his Disco from one.

• DiscoDavis and Tr182md like this

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

DiscoDavis,

Did you see my sliders when we were up in Santa Cruz? I should have shown you how they looked and were bolted. It's basically (I think) 6 bolts on each side directly to the frame. I believe there are 2 big ones and 4 smaller ones.

-David

• DiscoDavis likes this
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
They attach with 2 main bolts to the body mounts and several small bolts along the bottom of the sills.
  • DiscoDavis likes this

Don

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
I think its safari guard that puts a "sleeve" into the bumpers and sliders and then you use a "pin" type attachmet your high lift to give a much better hold. Always liked that. I too have a dent in my door from a high lift.
  • DiscoDavis likes this

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

No dents (from a Hi Lift at least), but the truck has fallen off of one. I think the LR3/4 would be better off using the Lift Mate with the Hi Lift than just the jack itself. The pad does help keep the standard a little further away from the body. Of course, if you have to change a wheel, you'll need an axle stand too.

The X-Jack definitely has its place. It's just another piece of kit that has its pros and cons, based on where you're going and what you're driving.

• Desertcrawler and DiscoDavis like this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
+1 on the lift mate. I mostly use the Hi-Lift to stick rocks under the wheels when I get stuck on things. It makes it so much safer and easier when I don't have to jack all the way though my suspension.
  • DiscoDavis likes this
Tyler

Posted Image

Volkov

Volkov

NCLR Vice President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Vallejo
  • KK6UUO
  • 2006 LR3
  • 1977 Land Rover 101FC

I have the tactical sliders on my LR3 as well. Very nice. I strongly recommend the nerf bars as well.

• DiscoDavis likes this

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Excellent, this is perfect info. Working these in the budget soon. Thanks all.

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

DiscoDavis,

Did you see my sliders when we were up in Santa Cruz? I should have shown you how they looked and were bolted. It's basically (I think) 6 bolts on each side directly to the frame. I believe there are 2 big ones and 4 smaller ones.

-David

No sadly I was too busy oogling other parts of your truck. ;)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Volkov

Volkov

NCLR Vice President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Vallejo
  • KK6UUO
  • 2006 LR3
  • 1977 Land Rover 101FC

So Connor, will you be coming to the barbecue this weekend?

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
I reached out to Eric at Tactical today regarding sponsorship etc and he confirmed that NCLR members get a 10% discount on all products. Just call or email and let them know you are from NCLR.

Keep an eye out for a list of the perks being a member of NCLR will get you. Should be available soon!!

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users