Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Sliders for the LR3/D3

- - - - - LR3 rock sliders

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

+1 on the lift mate. I mostly use the Hi-Lift to stick rocks under the wheels when I get stuck on things. It makes it so much safer and easier when I don't have to jack all the way though my suspension.

I have always thought about installing a sort of "limiting strap" for changing tires with the high lift so I don't have to go all the way through the suspension. Just haven't done it yet.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Excellent, this is perfect info. Working these in the budget soon. Thanks all.

You know what would help with the budget?  Maybe 10% off.  

Yeah....Tactical Rovers is one of our club sponsors.  BTW, our sponsor page is going live tonight.  :)

You would still have to call and talk with them, but 10% is 10%.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

I have always thought about installing a sort of "limiting strap" for changing tires with the high lift so I don't have to go all the way through the suspension. Just haven't done it yet.

I usually use a heavy duty ratchet strap wrapped around the axle. It works, but it's kind of a pain to set up, especially if you are hung up on rocks.
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

No sadly I was too busy oogling other parts of your truck. ;)

"FINPUP" has that effect on people. HAHAHAHAHA!

• DiscoDavis likes this
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

So Connor, will you be coming to the barbecue this weekend?

Yes! I forgot to RSVP

I reached out to Eric at Tactical today regarding sponsorship etc and he confirmed that NCLR members get a 10% discount on all products. Just call or email and let them know you are from NCLR.

Keep an eye out for a list of the perks being a member of NCLR will get you. Should be available soon!!

That. Is excellent to hear. I will do just that ;)

interested to see the full list when it drops.

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Just a side note for guys thinking the x Jack Works on an LR 3-4..... Unless you plan to cover two exhaust holes with it, your not going anywhere. I own an x Jack and it only works with a single exhaust vehicles. But I might be wrong if they have updated their kits since then. Just a heads up if you plan to go out and buy one. Other than that they are great for most recoveries.

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

That is good info... I never found a good answer on the X jack postings. 

Sliders are still in the works, Re: the lift mate, does it work okay with the 10-spoke wheels?

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I haven't tried the lift-mate, but I can help blow your budget.  You need to check out Chris Solis' new 270* awning from Alu-cab - pretty nice setup.  Takes like 30 seconds to deploy.

• Jethro likes this

Don

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

That is good info... I never found a good answer on the X jack postings. 

Sliders are still in the works, Re: the lift mate, does it work okay with the 10-spoke wheels?

I can't see why it wouldn't. I successfully used a lift mate on these wheels.

44DD758A-7061-44E7-9150-640BE8A65E4A.jpg
Tyler

Posted Image

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

I can't see why it wouldn't. I successfully used a lift mate on these wheels. 44DD758A-7061-44E7-9150-640BE8A65E4A.jpg

At this point, I would get a forklift. More fun.

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS

At this point, I would get a forklift. More fun.

Yeah. A forklift probably would have worked better. I'm glad I had the extreme. I was on the last two clicks! It was just to pick the car up off that helmet cord.
Tyler

Posted Image

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

In waiting for the sliders purchase, I got the wheel mate shipped in. Not too shabby. 

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Volkov

Volkov

NCLR Vice President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Vallejo
  • KK6UUO
  • 2006 LR3
  • 1977 Land Rover 101FC

I bought a wheel mate too, but when I tried playing around with it, it just looked like it put so much pressure on the sidewall, I was convinced I would lose a bead

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
To lose a bead you would need more negative force to do that. By the time you lift your wheels up for clearance you wheel would be angled up away from the tire. Most of the force being applied goes to the hooks. The strap acts like a guide. Yes it looks bad. And I bet you have an "E" rated tire. Which also means you have a more solid side walled tire.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Not that I really think it would pop the bead, but remember that on an ifs/irs truck the wheels move vertically so they wouldn't be angling away from the jack the same way they would on a solid axle rig.

I've not used the wheelmate, but I've heard others say the same thing about the amount of force it puts on the tire.  Still, I've never heard anybody say it actually popped a bead.

Don

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
It does put a lot of force on the bead, but it's still better than jacking through 12in+ of suspension travel. I can't imagine it popping a bead though. Bill Burke failed to pop the bead of a flat tire Using the entire weight of his truck a few years back.
Tyler

Posted Image

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I was going to mention that Rover wheels are pretty hard to seat and remove in comparison to most vehicles. But I think that applies to older models like the classics and discos. And Bill did use his classic.

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3

I'm picking up my Tactical sliders from the shipper this evening.  Eric at Tactical was super great to deal with and got them to me quickly.  For those of you who have the Tacticals, did you install them yourselves, and if so, how long did it take?

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Did them myself - not hard.  I'd say 3 hours if you're taking your time.  It helps to have an extra hand for the installation but I do it all solo.  I use my floor jack to lift them into place until I get the main bolts in place.

You have to remove the plastic rocker trim first.  It just pops off.  You'll need to remove the small piece of plastic trim at the bottom of the front wheel well and trim it down.  I used a body saw but you could use just about anything, even a sharp utility knife.  Mark the line you want to cut with some painters tape to make it easy to follow.  Leave the doors open when you lift the slider into place so they don't catch the weather seal at the bottom.  Use some duct tape to hold the body bushings to the posts on the slider so they don't fall off before you get the bolts in.  It also helps to have a long drift to poke up into the holes for alignment - could use a long screwdriver or whatever you have around.

If you're tentative, I'm home all weekend doing prep work on my LR3.  You're welcome to come by my place and I'll help.  I think you're in Sac, right?  I'm south of you in Walnut Grove.

(Correction - I see you're in Alameda.  you're still welcome to  come by but it's a bit more of a drive.  I might actually be able to stop by your place one night next week if you'd like since I'll be in Oakland a couple nights anyway)

• phobucket likes this

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
I'm also in Fremont. Done a set on David West's LR4. Either way.
  • phobucket likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users