Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Sliders for the LR3/D3

- - - - - LR3 rock sliders

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3
Thanks, Don and Pedram! My weekend is super filled with little league baseball right now, but I may take one of you up on the offer if I can scrounge the time. Going to confirm the schedule tomorrow morning.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Well Don and Pedram whenever I get around to ordering sliders and or bumpers I will be in touch. Waiting on Melvill & Moon to charge my order before embarking on any more major spending

-alternators aside- ;)

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
If I only had an LR3-4 here I would build some myself. I'm sure their not that hard to fab up.

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3
Ha. My alternator is getting replaced today. Glad to catch it before heading to Overland Expo. Going to try to mount the sliders between child activities this weekend because.

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3

Installation in progress :)    So far so good.  How do you remove the little yellow plastic snap fittings attached to the rocker panel?  No luck with the needle nose pliers.  Punch them through?  Snip them off?

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Do you have a picture of what it looks like. It's been a while for me. Only plastic clips I know are the style that you pull the center out with dental style hooks that are at 90° bends or flat screwdrivers. Typically you bed two one on opposite sides and pull straight out towards you. Then pull the other half of the clip out to fully remove the two pieces. The first part can sometimes be hard to remove. Hope I replied in time.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

These ones are different that what you're thinking about Pedram.  These are smaller and pretty much break when you remove them.  I don't recall exactly what I did but I might well have just punched them through.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3
Thanks, guys. These are the plastic spacer I was talking about. They came out petty quickly once I thought to use a chisel to get under the edge. I've been working on it in fits and spurts between kid activities and am about to install the pump relocation bracket. I didn't get any instructions for the bracket, but it looks like it only mounts one way. Seems like everything gets easier/more clear after that.

Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1463356062558.jpg   59.57KB   3 downloads

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Pretty sure you don't need the relocation bracket if you're using the original pump.  If you have an LR4 or you have the new AMK pump you would use it.

When I did mine I had the original Hitatchi pump and didn't do anything  but remove the sound shield.  I later updated to the AMK and had to do a little clearancing.  It would probably have been a good thing to have the relocation bracket as even with my little tweaks the pump often vibrates against the slider now.

Don

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3
Thanks for that. I'm going to hang on to the bracket because I expect my pump to go at some point in the next year (fingers crossed it happens under warranty).

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
The best thing about having posts like this, is that future members who also plan to do this modification will have some guide on theirs. So please do what your doing. Thanks for the updates.
  • RRC300 likes this

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3
I super appreciate all of the help I have been getting in this thread. Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1463424983154.jpg   66.76KB   7 downloads

Got the driver side on this morning before work. The front driver side body mount bolt seems to not me catching, either that or it takes forever to screw in. Doesn't feel stripped and it appears to be lined up correctly, but I can reach my hand in over the slider and spin the donut. Should I just keep turning?

Attached File  uploadfromtaptalk1463424983154.jpg   66.76KB   7 downloads

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
If your turning by hand it should be fine. I doubt you can strip a bolt that way. Unless your using a hand tool. Those body mounts are pretty long. Pull the bolt out if you feel it's not catching. That way you know your on the threads.

Also use a drift pin like Don mentioned but try not to damage the threads while attempting this.

Edited by Pedram, 16 May 2016 - 12:09 PM.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

It should pull down tight.  I know it can be hard to get the bolt to start sometimes going up through the tube, then the donut, then into the threads.  I usually try to look up into it with a flashlight and use a drift to pry around until everything lines up, then run it up by hand a few turns before putting a socket on it, but I've not seen the bolt bottom out or get tight and still have the donut loose.

Don

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3

Well I got them on, but am still having trouble with the front bolts.  I even took it to the shop down the street and they don't think the bolds are aligned correctly because they are not grabbing.  There really is only one way the sliders fit, and I could see the holes when I looked up in there with a flashlight.   Is there a nut on top of the mount?  I didn't see one come out when I unscrewed the bolts.

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3
I spoke with Eric @ Tactical and am going to loosen the other bolts and try again tonight with a few tips.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Not that I do it intentionally, but I do normally start the front main bolt, then the rear main bolt, then the smaller rocker bolts working from front to back.  I don't pull anything down tight until all bolts are started.  And don't crank down too hard on the rocker bolts - I've snapped at least one off on mine.

Don

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

I spoke with Eric @ Tactical and am going to loosen the other bolts and try again tonight with a few tips.

Not sure if you normally tighten one bolt at a time as you install things but I normally make are all my bolts are in place before I tighten mine. The way I do it is get it started and bottom it out then back off 2 to 3 full turns. Gives you room for movement and now you know how much to go till it's complete.

phobucket

phobucket

NCLR Club Member

• Unverified
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Alameda
  • LR3

I'm going to back off a few turns on all of my bolts and then try to shift the front bolts back in.  One thing I definitely need is a longer socket extension.  Picking that up on the way home #thingsishouldhavedonethreedaysago

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Lol.... we all learn the hard way one way or another.

Having the right tools never hurts. Your doing great.
  • phobucket likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users