Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Magnecore Spark Plug Wire Set...Worth it?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

nengelbrecht6

nengelbrecht6

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Mountain View, CA
  • KM6FDZ
  • 2005 LR3 SE

I am thinking about upgrading my plug wires to the Magnecore KV85 8.5mm (#8534) wires for my stock 3.5. The price is kind of high, so wanted to check if anyone on here had any experience with these wires? Are they really as good as the price would imply?

I don't know what brand of wires are on their now as I haven't changed them in the year that I've owned the truck. I also have no idea of how old they are. I can assume that the previous owner used the cheapest option available, though. I haven't had any problems with them really, just thinking I may want to change them out for a better set of wires.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Nick

KM6FDZ

2005 LR3 SE

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

not sure if they are worth it but i have them.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I have no experience with them but my gut feeling is you won't feel any difference unless you have a problem currently. Of course in that case anything would be an improvement.

These aren't high performance engines and I assume you're running a stock ignition. There's likely nothing to be gained from a higher end set of wires. Any decent quality set of wires sold do the job just fine. There's certainly nothing to loose going with them, but I don't think you will notice anything.

Dan would probably be the guy with the best input on this.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

nengelbrecht6

nengelbrecht6

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Mountain View, CA
  • KM6FDZ
  • 2005 LR3 SE

I have no experience with them but my gut feeling is you won't feel any difference unless you have a problem currently. Of course in that case anything would be an improvement.
These aren't high performance engines and I assume you're running a stock ignition. There's likely nothing to be gained from a higher end set of wires. Any decent quality set of wires sold do the job just fine. There's certainly nothing to loose going with them, but I don't think you will notice anything.
Dan would probably be the guy with the best input on this.

This I basically what I am thinking. The engine shop nearby me swears by them. So much that it is all that he sells for V8s.

I checked the resistance of my wires and they all come back alright. Not going to spend a ton of money that I don't need to spend. Might look at NGK wires in the near term, though. They seem to be reasonably priced.

Nick

KM6FDZ

2005 LR3 SE

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

For my 3.5, I had some "8mm best to use..." plug wires.  Then they died, and I found a localish Pep Boys happened to carry the 7.5MM BOSCH brand plug wires.

I bought those as Bosch has never treated me poorly, and it was a wise decision.

My general rules have become:  Proper for my need, a brand I recognize, and easy for me to replace wherever I may be.

So, I try and find things that work at the Pep boy, autozone, oreilly's etc of my world so that when I travel if I have a failure, I can easily remedy it.  I have no idea how many miles are on my super tiring original 3.5, but she still puts along.

If you can only get the Magnacore from that shop....I would shy away. BUT, if you can find them anywhere and they are not an arm and a leg. why not?

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

I run Magnecor's for the D2. The 8.5mm wires will most likely be too wide to fit in the stock harness clips. The 8mm that I run just barely fit. When I did head gaskets last year, one of the plug boots tore off upon removal. There was an old exhaust leak that destroyed the material, but the wire itself never had a misfire.

Another popular option for wires are http://www.kingsborne.com/

Whatever brand you pick, keep a couple of your current wires, assuming they are still in good condition, as spares. You only need the longest couple of wires so they can be used to replace any other ones.

• TomOwen likes this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

For my 3.5, I had some "8mm best to use..." plug wires. Then they died, and I found a localish Pep Boys happened to carry the 7.5MM BOSCH brand plug wires.

I bought those as Bosch has never treated me poorly, and it was a wise decision.

My general rules have become: Proper for my need, a brand I recognize, and easy for me to replace wherever I may be.

So, I try and find things that work at the Pep boy, autozone, oreilly's etc of my world so that when I travel if I have a failure, I can easily remedy it. I have no idea how many miles are on my super tiring original 3.5, but she still puts along.

If you can only get the Magnacore from that shop....I would shy away. BUT, if you can find them anywhere and they are not an arm and a leg. why not?

I tend to agree with this. We're dealing with a 60 year old engine design with very low performance. You're not going to see much benefit with high performance equipment. I would buy good quality, name brand parts that are OEM spec.

The takeaway: Don't cheap out with lousy brands that are poorly made, but don't think that pricey "performance" parts are really going to do anything.
  • astateofmike, TomOwen and DHappel like this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

these are the ones i have:

Magnecor 85196 8.5mm KV85 CN Series Ignition Cable 1989-1996

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

I picked up some Kingsborne wires for my truck. Cheaper than buying a stock set of wires. They are 8mm wires and are constructed very well. For trucks with a distributor the part number is IGN 785 and cost 38 bucks, here's a link : http://www.kingsborn...r-p/ign 785.htm

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB
First time i chanted my wires i got a cheep set of britparts off amazon - worked for a month before obe of the leads split in half.

Got a set from napa - much better quality, and they come with a lifetime warranty! Would highly recomend them - no ignition issues since.

nengelbrecht6

nengelbrecht6

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Mountain View, CA
  • KM6FDZ
  • 2005 LR3 SE
Thank you to everyone for your replies. 

I've taken your advice and passed on the Magnecore. Instead, I am going with a set of NGK wires for $30. 

I'll keep Kingsborne in mind for next time as they seem to be highly regarded. At the moment, being stationed overseas I have to stick with companies that I can either get over here or that will ship to APO address.

Again, thank you.

Nick

Nick

KM6FDZ

2005 LR3 SE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users