Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Rear Working Lights for DII?

- - - - - Lights

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

cjohanson

cjohanson

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • San Francisco
  • 2002 Discovery II
  • Someday - '67 IIA 88

I want to install some rear working lights on my 2002 DII.  Anyone done this and have some pointers / ideas?  I found this thread and am going to try to do something similar to the Grey Disco with the Hella FF worklight pictured.

https://www.landyzon...g-holes.145899/

Thanks!

Chris Johanson

cjohanson1234@yahoo.com

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

mine are on the rack but if you dont have a rack then a gutter mount would work great.  Best of luck.

• RedRover likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I mounted a small LED bar on the back of my rack, but I can see how the gutter mount would work easily enough on a D2.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

That gutter mounts looks cool, I've seen similar antenna munts that may work as well...

As for lights themselves, I think you are smart to consider some of the current LED options, the lumen output to power consumption ratio is well in our favor now vs. the Halogen of yesteryear. ;-)

I have a set of these facing aft and another pair off to the sides but as Jason pointed out, they are mounted under my SD rack...

For your application (sans rack) a couple of members run something similar to these and they seem to throw out a lot of light.

Wiring is pretty straight forward. If you haven't pulled a dedicated circuit to the rear yet, it may be a good time to do it although you may be able to get away with 1 lamp off of the trailer harness if that's your plan. If not, I'm sure you'll find more uses for the dedicated circuit like, say, the fridge.. (in which case, plan for this with gauge and fuses in the beginning ;-)

Hope this helps,

Tom

• RedRover likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

Hey Chris, I have an old Hella dual halogen work lamp you can use if you want. Worked fine when removed from the truck (went LED). Good for mockup purposes as the bracket (as I remember) uses the same sized bolt.

The real question is how/where you want want to run the wires for power, and the switch to turn it off/on. I use the empty binnacle switches on the left of the steering wheel for the work lamp, inner and outer roof rack lights. For a factory look and finish, you can use cruise control switches and swap the cover to suit your needs. Though they will be mirrored. Expedition Exchange carries the multiplug connector that fits the c/c switch.

• RedRover likes this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR

Worth thinking about how you want switches to work. I put my switch in the front -- and it allows them to work as backup lights (turn on automatically) or be constant on.  Sometimes nice to run them constant on when in high dust situations and you have someone following you (like a road rally race).

But you should get a rack. Every D2 needs one. It saved mine from being crushed by a tree.

• RedRover likes this
Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

First pic is the wiring diagram I used. It's good for any 2 wire lighting setup.

Second pic are some switch options. The cruise control switch (far right) is the only factory option you can use (click on, click off), but you can pick and choose the covers for the most part. Find a pick and pull for these.

Third pic is everything wired up with the light on. Bonus for the illuminated switch, which doesn't really matter. The steering wheel covers up all of those switches on that side anyways...

Attached Files

• RedRover likes this

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

9.16 Amps, we can see why you went LED ;-)

• RedRover likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

cjohanson

cjohanson

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • San Francisco
  • 2002 Discovery II
  • Someday - '67 IIA 88

Thanks for all the great advice!

• RedRover likes this

Chris Johanson

cjohanson1234@yahoo.com

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Any updates?
  • RedRover likes this

cjohanson

cjohanson

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • San Francisco
  • 2002 Discovery II
  • Someday - '67 IIA 88

Haven't had time to get it wired up but I have the lights, mounts, and the switches, I just need to make sure to get the right relays.  There are a few other projects in mid-stream too!

Chris Johanson

cjohanson1234@yahoo.com

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,425 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Sounds like it's time for another Wrenching day... Who's hosting? I'd do it but we have a big porta-potty in our driveway... No garage access due to home remodeling.

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

Sounds like it's time for another Wrenching day... Who's hosting? I'd do it but we have a big porta-potty in our driveway... No garage access due to home remodeling.

There's a fix for that...

Attached Files

Edited by Pedram, 26 May 2016 - 03:10 PM.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

Haven't had time to get it wired up but I have the lights, mounts, and the switches, I just need to make sure to get the right relays.  There are a few other projects in mid-stream too!

I know a guy.... I have a few relays here. With plugs. You just need to run longer wires and hook up the rest yourself. Or just come over and I'll help you. Got everything here at the house.

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)

I know a guy.... I have a few relays here. With plugs. You just need to run longer wires and hook up the rest yourself. Or just come over and I'll help you. Got everything here at the house.

Did you ever figure out the LED lights for the yellow lights on the back of the disco? You mentioned trying to find one that flashed correctly.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account

Did you ever figure out the LED lights for the yellow lights on the back of the disco? You mentioned trying to find one that flashed correctly.

Why yes, I have adjustable relays for LED turn signals. But I have yet to install it on my disco. It's parked at a shop currently. But I'll do it when I get it back. I have used a different style years ago before my wheeling days and did the install myself. It worked great. I'm pretty sure this is similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users