Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Group Buy - 3/8" Dyneema winch/extension line

* * * - - 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Just as an FYI, Brenton and I will plan to be at Mexxi's around 9:00 Saturday for a little splice-fest.  Come one, come all!

• DiscoChef likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yesterday after the MoM Brenton did some splicing to set up Rupert's winch line.  Good thing...

We learned that the thimbles I sourced, while a good size since they allow a full size shackle to fit through them, won't let the line pull down tight enough so the thimble can pop out when it's not under load.  That's a no-go.  I think Chris is the only the only one who still has any of the s/s thimbles I bought, but if anybody else has any let me know so I can return them.

In the mean time, we need to find a good option to use instead.

This is the strongest thing going, but it's also more expensive and doesn't have nearly as big an opening.  Brenton had one on hand on his line and it's just big enough to pass the pin of a 3/4" shackle.  Also, you wouldn't be able to fit a standard pin-style hook over it.

http://www.winchline...d-tube-thimble/

I'll dig around and see about some other options later today.  If anybody has a suggestion please throw it out.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I've deployed the google.  The best I've found so far:

Gusseted Tube Thimble, 3/8" - $10

looks likte the same one as above but for less $$ 

http://www.polyperfo...QfnGRoC1J3w_wcB

Non-Gusseted Tube Thimble, 3/8" - $10.50

Not sure why this is more than the part above, but it is.  This one would have a bigger center hole and since it's not closed you can bend the eyes open as shown in Brenton's video earlier to put a hook on it.

http://www.polyperfo...wPYMBoCpcnw_wcB

Both of these are free shipping over $149

It also looks like you can enter the code 'get10back' for 10% off at check-out, so about a $1 savings.

Further digging shows Jegs has the same TrailGear non gusseted thimble for the same $10.50 and free shipping at $75

http://www.jegs.com/...oductId=3464326

I'm leaning toward going with the non-gusseted thimbles since they are easier to put on a hook and have a bigger opening, though I don't know if it's big enough to pass the fat end of a 3/4" shackle like the ones I was using.  Maybe, maybe not - won't be able to tell without having them in hand.

Right now I'm thinking of ordering the TrailGear non-gusseted thimbles from Jegs at $10.50/ea and free shipping.  I'm guessing they will ship ground and I seem to remember from my racing days Jegs is in Ohio so figure they'll arrive next week. 

Anybody have any comments or suggestions?  If you want to source your own thimbles instead of having me do it that's fine, just let me know by tomorrow so I don't order them for you.

Don

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
I'm good with whatever you choose.

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

Disco2Guy

Disco2Guy

NCLR President 2013-2016

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts
  • KD2RVR
  • 2001 D2, heavily modified

I did some checking around today. The standard Tube Thimble will not fit the ends of a 3/4" bow shackle.

Brenton Corns
TREAD Lightly! Tread Trainer

4xFarAdventures.com

2001 D2

205,000 miles

post-472-0-05786100-1439104512.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I did some checking around today. The standard Tube Thimble will not fit the ends of a 3/4" bow shackle.

I didn't think it would.  I still think I'm going to order the non-gussetted thimbles as they can be bent open to attach to a hook.  Not quite as strong but should be strong enough for our needs.

I'll plan to order tuesday and will update the thread when I do.  Until then I'm open to discussion as I'm not married to that idea.  There's also no reason I can't mix & match if somebody wants the gussetted version.

Don

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)
I'll go with your choice, order me 1.
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

NCLR074

NCLR074

Gecko

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Sutter Creek
  • 94 D-90
  • 2011 Proper Range Rover

Non gussetted for a hook.  If it is not too late, Please order me one.  Thanks,  Otherwise I will use the rusty one I have now:)

Stefano

94 D-90

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

OK, just ordered 16 tube thimbles:

http://www.polyperfo...wPYMBoCpcnw_wcB

I was able to get the 10% off and free shipping but got dinged on sales tax.  Works out to $10.16 ea.  Call it an even $10.

Stephano, I included one for you in that list.

Don

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Thanks Don!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I should have them in time for the MORG - I'll throw throw them in the truck assuming they do arrive in time.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The thimble fun continues!

On Friday the thimbles arrived.  I actually tossed the box in the truck and took it to the MORG but I never even got around to opening it.  Then on Sunday I opened it to grab Lutz's thimbles.  That's when I realized they had sent gusseted instead of open thimbles.  Booo....  

I placed an email to PolyPerformance that day but knew I wouldn't likely have any cell coverage to check up on it until I got back.  I found out they had substituted the gusseted as TraiGear apparently has discontinued the open version.  They've sent me an RO for the ones they shipped, though I'm going to ask for a call tag since I'd rather not pay the return shipping.

In the mean time this morning I placed an order for the open version from Jegs.  Same cost (they didn't have the 10% discount but they don't charge tax so pretty much a wash).  I'm hoping since they are a big vendor they have them in-stock.  At least the website SAID they did.  I'll find out soon enough.

And the saga continues!  Who knew it would be this hard?

Don

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
Any new updates??

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

oops - I didn't put you in the PM list I sent out to everybody!

Yes - updates:

I ordered a bunch of Trail Gear non gusseted thimbles at $10 ea.  to use instead of the s/s ones I had picked up earlier.  When they arrived they were actually the gusseted version.  I made plans to send them back and order non-gusseted from Jegs but it looks like Trail Gear is only making the gusseted version right now.

I decided if you want a non-gusseted for a winch line I'll just cut the gusset out with a zip wheel.  Easy enough.  If you're using it for an extension the gussetted is actually stronger.

I think you have 2 of the S/S thimbles still, right?  I believe I got all the others back and I'll return them.  Let me know if you want me to cut the gussets out or if you prefer with gusset and I can toss a couple in a flat-rate envelope for you or I can just drop them off the next time we're in the same area.

Don

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
I'll send the 2 back and you can send the gusseted ones. Can we call the shipping a wash? I'm planning one for an extension and the other for my main line.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

No problem on shipping.  I'll cut a gusset out when I get back home later this week and mail them out.  PM me an address when you get a chance.

Don

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Let me know if you have any extra line available. On the trail last weekend, my cable got pinched and the winch overheated a bit when I was high centered on snow. The kinetic strap got us out. Time to upgrade.
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

PaulD

PaulD

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Templeton, CA
  • 1993 RRC LWB
  • 1991 RRC -- Caught Fire
  • 1967 NADA 109 - SOLD
  • 1967 Series IIA 88 - SOLD
  • 1964 Series IIA - Stolen

Okay, received the package fromm Don today -- thanks Don...! Nothing like the smell of fresh line!.

I guess after all the back-n-forth, we decided to splice the line around the thimbles on our own? Is there a way to source someone to do this? I can splice 3-strand 'cause of the old salt that I am, but anything past that is "nay goot."

Also, we are on our own for attaching the line-to-drum clip dealy?

Tx,

Paul

'93 LWB
2" RTE Springs, GDE w/8K winch, Disco axles, Viair, Dura-Tracs, & Asst'd grille badges

12e11964-24f6-4630-a08f-5758456bc143.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The plan was always to do your own splicing.  We were planning to have a 'splicing party' one day with Brenton at the helm as he's the man on splicing but never all got together on it.  It's not that hard but it helps to have somebody walk you through it the first time.

Each winch has it's own way of attaching to the drum, so that's kinda up in the air.  Mine both use an eye with a bolt through it, so I'm just going to crimp a 2/0 lug on the end of the line.  I checked out Rupert's (I forget what winch he has) and he has a pinch bolt that you feed the tail of the line into - I just tapered the end a bit and gave it a wrap of tape then stuck it into the hole on the drum.  There are others as well, so I can't really tell you the best way to handle the drum end.

Don

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,752 posts
I did it so you can do it. Took 10-15 min the first time with the kids "helping" and watching the videos. Second time was literally 5 minutes while the kids played with the other end of the line.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users