Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Rrc brake upgrades

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Has anyone ever done a brake upgrade on a classic? I still need to be able to run a 16 inch wheel but I didn't know if there was something to improve its stopping ability.

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery

Has anyone ever done a brake upgrade on a classic? I still need to be able to run a 16 inch wheel but I didn't know if there was something to improve its stopping ability.

I see you have not driven many DIIs. :) I got into Nathan's RRC once and almost head butted the windshield!

If you lack stopping power, it may be a failing brake booster. The factory four piston brakes should be more than capable of stopping the truck in a reasonable amount of time.

Edited by lilcrawler, 01 April 2016 - 05:10 PM.

Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

Nick

Nick

NCLR #59

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • San Francisco, CA
  • 1995 RR 25th LWB 5.0 TWR
  • 1995 RR LWB
  • 2012 RR A/B Ultimate

I did Akebono ceramics on one of my '95s, but they squealed (forgot that ceramics are terrible for that).  Stopping power was good though.

My other '95 has a set of custom cross-drilled and vented rotors, and stops very well (and no squealing!).  

The factory OEM stuff is actually pretty good.

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
I wouldn't use slotted and drilled rotors if the truck is going to see significant time off road. They tend to pack up with dirt and mud, which decreases effectiveness.
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Also, drilled rotors tend to develop cracks. Slots are much more effective for stopping power on most applications.

But I agree with everyone above - for all their faults, Range Rovers of all generations are well over-braked and I can't imagine you needing an upgrade kit. More likely you need to check your accumulator and do some system maintenance. Even with a trailer on my Classic it always stopped very quickly (until the pump died), and don't even get me started on the P38s. On our earlier P38s we towed 4000+lbs of boat/gear on an unbraked trailer all over NorCal and were constantly impressed with the braking performance.
  • Jethro likes this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

ColinB

ColinB

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 873 posts

What is your truck not doing?   My RRC will very nicely stop.  No problems locking up all 4 35's

HAM KJ7RRC
95 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, RTE bumpers front and rear with P-Fab Mods, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Yes! go EBC green stuff pads & their slotted rotors all around.... love em!   I have had brake fade in a RRC LWB before coming down the back road from Lake Isabella ... it was scary!

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

What is your truck not doing? My RRC will very nicely stop. No problems locking up all 4 35's

I hit the brakes and it wont lock them up for sure. They do fade pretty severely when they get warm. Perhaps ill replace the fluid first and fo from there. I just assumed they were factory-inadequate

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB
When was the last time the fluid was flushed?

If your running dot4, then you should do it every 2-3 years.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Yeah I locked up my wheels on the freeway once and I had to look behind me to make sure I wasn't going to be rear ended by the truck behind me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users