Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

* * * * - 6 votes

• Please log in to reply
412 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Last week at Casa de Happel....

It was invasion of the LR4s

A couple pics of Antonio and Louis's LR4s getting sliders, and some old guy covetously looking on  ;)

https://photos.app.g...1YqwpJXpe3WdUN2

Speaking of which, said old guy should post up some pics of his little project.  I have a few, but not many.

• lutz likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

Put a new switch for my remote winch control and put two automatic door locks from my donor truck.. Now on to Dusy prep

• DHappel likes this

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Put a new switch for my remote winch control and put two automatic door locks from my donor truck.. Now on to Dusy prep

That's something I've meant to do for years and just never get around to.  I don't know why more people don't do it.

• lutz likes this

Don

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

Yea it makes things easy. Only downside is when you need to re-spoil yourself have to get the old remote out.If i had to redo it prob just go with the new wireless setup and have the original as backup.

Edited by lutz, 28 July 2017 - 05:40 PM.

• DHappel likes this

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

installed new tie rod ends to the track rod. What a pain to remove and replace parts gunked up with 20yrs of dust and crap.

Took a bench vise, a cheater bar and help from Naplm00 to remove the tie rod ends and then to put new ones on - naturally bar tore one of the new boots. Replacing the boot was easier than R&R the tie rod ends. 

Still have to mount and run power for the radio before next Sunday's trip. 

Chris

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yea it makes things easy. Only downside is when you need to re-spoil yourself have to get the old remote out.If i had to redo it prob just go with the new wireless setup and have the original as backup.

ha....just caught the typo.  I need to be re-spoiled!

• lutz likes this

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

installed new tie rod ends to the track rod. What a pain to remove and replace parts gunked up with 20yrs of dust and crap.

Took a bench vise, a cheater bar and help from Naplm00 to remove the tie rod ends and then to put new ones on - naturally bar tore one of the new boots. Replacing the boot was easier than R&R the tie rod ends. 

Still have to mount and run power for the radio before next Sunday's trip. 

Wow - I would have expected that to go pretty easy.  But at least you're making progress!  

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Wow - I would have expected that to go pretty easy.  But at least you're making progress!  

Don,

It isn't unusual  for them to be frozen.  The slot allows water ingress and corrosion (no anti-seize).  Many alignment places give up trying to do them.  That white D1 I had was totally solid, so I just put on a heavy duty one.  No amount of heat and a 4' lever would move it.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I must be spoiled ... the LR3 steering rod ends were easy.  Of course, it's always been a CA car too.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

I must be spoiled ... the LR3 steering rod ends were easy.  Of course, it's always been a CA car too.

And most of the parts on your vehicle have been changed within the last few years.  We're talking about vehicle with 20 years of deferred maintenance ...

On Katrina you can undo the locknuts and the bars can be turned by hand .... because she has an automatic anti-seize and rust prevention mechanism fitted .... (okay, so some would say she leaks oil, but it amounts to the same thing).

Regards,

Graeme

• astateofmike and RedRover like this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
What did I do? I finally got it off for a proper repair, instead of the curbside one. Not bad that in 11 years of ownership it has been in to a shop twice. Cant wait for its return. Love my Rover.

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
Getting it ready for WRL I assume.

Don

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
If done in time will try to cone up. If not, so is life.

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
I finished rebuilding the rear end and adding in the upgraded summers Bros Axels. It's finally back on all four tires!!

So tomorrow I'll add fluids to the diffs that are now running gbr 4.11 gears with ARB lockers.

The original gears are pretty mangled too, definitely time for a change!

After that I'll install the newly upgraded radiator and coolant hoses. Then it will be time to start it up it up for the first time in over a month...

I'm really excited to get it going!

c17fd95ef8e2b590d4560784c0eba9bf.jpg141d2fcd2abba8c3b88f171ed978cecb.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  • RedRover and lithium1330 like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Greg, is this coming to WRL?

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Spent today futzing around with the D1.

Installed a Rugged Radios intercom kit that's tied into the radio so I can hopefully communicate while at highway speeds.  Seems to work, but I've only tried it in the garage at this point, not actually truck-to-truck or even driver-passenger.

Re-wired the fridge and radio to try to avoid some annoying issues.  They each had a direct power line to a fuse block about 8" from the battery, but about half the time when I would key the radio the fridge would start beeping at me.  No error light, just beeping until I cycled power to it.  I now have the radio going directly to the battery so they no longer go to the same fuse block.  I'm guessing the radio caused just enough spike to freak out the fridge's monitors so hopefully this will get me around that.

I also picked up a spare 1/4 wave antenna and secured it in the back of the truck for 'just in case'.  At $20, why not?

And I installed a ScanGuage OBD2 monitor so I can read temps and codes in real-time.  I may have to move this though as I just bump it when shifting into low range.

I even cleaned the truck up some- vacuumed out the interior and pressure washed the exterior.  Plus hosed down the rear interior a bit.  

Don

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

Greg, is this coming to WRL?

Haven't gotten that far yet, I'd like to be comfortable with the not over heating. Also it doesn't hold the most stuff, so likely depending on how many days I can make and what the family is most comfortable in. The D1 is on its way to being a trail specific rig with the LR4 doing the overlanding trips.

I really want to get it out for some day trips/shorter runs to get some more practice in. Even a run out prairie city would be great just to test things.

I also need a trip to your shop so we can the compressor up. That's one part I'd like some help with.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

We can do that.  It's just a matter of finding the time.  The next two weekends are booked and the following is the BoD on Saturday, but I should be available on Sunday.

• Jethro likes this

Don

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
So it's all back together and drives well. Had some challenges with the newly rebuilt radiator but seems to be doing well now. I haven't been able to really test it though as I'm having electrical gremlin issues.

When I first started it up my brake lights stayed on. I then took for a test drive and came back and parked it. As I went to remove the key it just stayed on... ended up realizing lights were on. Reinserted the key and shut lights off and then the key shut off the car.

This happened a couple more times.

I then decided to look at the lights. Pulled them out and started it up, then reconnected them watching the lights. Brake lights stayed off at first, but then came on when I turned the lights on.

So that's where I left it, need to now figure out what to do next. Thinking about looking into brake light switch again.

Really need to work with someone else and a multimeter tool and start testing connections.

Once I'm legal with lights I can revisit the lockers and get the air compressor and switches wired up.

I did take a minute to do the tire carrier flip which seems to work out well and should be enough space for when I ever go to a 35" tire.d97dfdc7c85abb1b469a6631ab965a88.jpga508fc9989946f27d29b8892e5939ef7.jpg

• RedRover and lithium1330 like this

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,454 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I did take a minute to do the tire carrier flip which seems to work out well and should be enough space for when I ever go to a 35" tire.

Bummer on the gremlins... seems about right though, since in all of the time I've owned RedRover I think there has always been at least one electrical thing 'going on' at any time.

Sometimes they just appear and disappear just as fast.  Spent time and $$$ to clean all of the grounding points which helped stop some of the odd 'cross-traffic' electrical things that would happen (power mirror would drive the door locks, etc.) but it's still not perfect.

The tire carrier flip must be a well-known trick since you called it "The Tire Carrier Flip"...   :lol:

• Jethro likes this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users