Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

* * * * - 6 votes

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Brake pad sensor lit up on dashboard - funny I just changed the pads recently ... turns out the sensor wire had chaffed and was intermittently shorting out. Lucky I had a spare one in the garage - remove wheel, fender liner rivets, disconnect old one inside liner , thread new one in - fixed ! 

Attached Files

Edited by alpaca, 15 October 2017 - 06:45 PM.

• RedRover and Jethro like this

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Brake pad sensor lit up on dashboard - funny I just changed the pads recently ... turns out the sensor wire had chaffed and was intermittently shorting out. Lucky I had a spare one in the garage - remove wheel, fender liner rivets, disconnect old one inside liner , thread new one in - fixed ! 

Wow - any idea what it was rubbing against and was there some clip that was supposed to hold it in place?

• Jethro likes this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

Wow - any idea what it was rubbing against and was there some clip that was supposed to hold it in place?

Was thinking the same thing...

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
In the picture I had already unclipped it ... yeah .. nothing obvious rubbing against it ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

Oil spitting from park drum. Graeme had LT230 seals kit, got one. Turned out to be the felt washer on the rear output shaft was shredded, flange nut was on hand tight... weird. 

Sealed up, new oil, props greased. 

Next week adjust diff lock linkage. 

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032
MrBlueSky came over for some wrenching; installed his new-to-him Rovers North bumper, an electric fan on his ExMoD110.
And I had installed a 3 core radiator with new coolant, electric fan (dialed to kick on at 200F) and oil change to 15w50 M1. Running at idle, the electric fans come on about every 10-15min (I think that’s normal?); dropping the temp from 199 back to 185. This thing better not overheat anymore!

And last week, finally finished the switch cluster for lights, rad fan, aux fuel, winch, 2x 12v outlet, and iPad mini mount. Looks pretty from the outside, but a rats nest of wires behind it.

Attached Files

Edited by lithium1330, 16 October 2017 - 03:11 PM.

• DHappel likes this
Chris

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

15w50?  That's extremely heavy for a normal V8 gas motor.  I believe the original spec is 10w40 (?).  I know a lot of people run 15w40; often Rotella which is an HD diesel oil.  What made you change to the 15w50?

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

I was running 10w40 before the swap.

The 15w50 is heavier, but it's synthetic and flows reasonably well even in winter in bay area, so cold start up shouldn't be an issue. Prob more important is 50 protects better  at high temp.. which I've pretty much accepted my engine just runs hot.

And I think 15/50 is only grade with zinc for add'l wear protection. 

I was also looking at the Shell Rotella T3; popular with owners of older LR V8's. I've not had experience with it. 

Chris

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
I took some pictures with my new camera today!

Attached Files

• Jethro likes this

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

I was running 10w40 before the swap.

The 15w50 is heavier, but it's synthetic and flows reasonably well even in winter in bay area, so cold start up shouldn't be an issue. Prob more important is 50 protects better  at high temp.. which I've pretty much accepted my engine just runs hot.

And I think 15/50 is only grade with zinc for add'l wear protection. 

I was also looking at the Shell Rotella T3; popular with owners of older LR V8's. I've not had experience with it. 

I use T4 and T5 rotella 15w40 on both the 110 and Disco

Pleased with it. 

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Nice pictures Bear.  Yours is the first spare tire grill dohicky that I have ever seen that actually looks used!!  

• BEAR likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Nice pictures Bear.  Yours is the first spare tire grill dohicky that I have ever seen that actually looks used!!  

Come on - Chuck uses his!

In the spirit of the thread, I washed the D1 this weekend (only the 2nd time!) and touched up all the scrapes on the tubework from Tank Traps.

Don

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

finally got a _solid_ recovery point for my ARB bumper. 

And after much research, ARB doesn't have front recovery points on their front bumpers... no matter what make you buy it for. 

Bonehead move of the project... let's be honest, you're not working on a LR if there isn't a bonehead story behind it.. I used a level to ensure the mounting holes are level on the bumper. Marked them and drilled them out. Somewhere between marking and drilling, I got un-leveled by a bit. So, the recovery point is slightly off. Oh well,  I'l just say it's like that to compensate for the weight of driver - like corner balancing in race cars! :D

Attached File  IMG_2958.jpg   90.37KB   10 downloads

Then, decided to get grade 8 hardware (bc whatever came with the mount was not marked for grade 8)... well, the bolt heads are a little too big for the shackle. And I can only get 2 turns into the thread. So, I'll have to grind down 1/16" on the head and make it fit. But when was the last time you worked on the truck without breaking out the grinder? Though, not one has been able to confirm nor deny, it's accepted as modern day fact that grinders were invented in Solihull, UK, shortly after LR introduced Series I's. Feel free to share that story! 

Attached File  IMG_2965.JPG   133.46KB   8 downloads

• DHappel likes this
Chris

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

So the new hardware has thicker heads and now the flange on the shackle pin is hitting the bolt heads?

Shouldn't be a problem to knock a bit off the flange as you mentioned.  It's not really under much side-loading; heck you're not even supposed to screw it tight when using it.

Don

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
So I finally got around to making the greatest upgrade a land Rover owner can make... signed up for AAA premier road side assistance.

I've also been working on my headliner, took it out over a year ago to redo and finally have it back in the car.

Now just finishing adding back the plastic pieces... looking forward to having sun visors again!!

• lithium1330 likes this

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

So I finally got around to making the greatest upgrade a land Rover owner can make... signed up for AAA premier road side assistance.

Oh, that's it. no need to browse through NCLR forums anymore. ;) 

• Jethro likes this
Chris

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

So the new hardware has thicker heads and now the flange on the shackle pin is hitting the bolt heads?

Shouldn't be a problem to knock a bit off the flange as you mentioned.  It's not really under much side-loading; heck you're not even supposed to screw it tight when using it.

Basically all holes are offset by a hair, but enough that the pin now can't thread all the way through. 

So, I have to either grind down the bolt heads... or enlarge the shackle mount hole. 

Chris

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Basically all holes are offset by a hair, but enough that the pin now can't thread all the way through. 

So, I have to either grind down the bolt heads... or enlarge the shackle mount hole. 

I'm going to say 'not modify the shackle'.

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Now just finishing adding back the plastic pieces... looking forward to having sun visors again!!

Sun visors!  Such luxury...I can only dream!

Edited by DHappel, 24 October 2017 - 01:00 PM.

• Jethro likes this

Don

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

Started on oil pump and timing chain .Pump was broken into 3 parts and timing chain was super lose.now just doing clean up and bolt her back together. 

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users