Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Did You Do With Your Rover Today?

* * * * - 6 votes

• Please log in to reply
409 replies to this topic

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Overheated it. Ugh. Praying it's ok. Weird symptoms, thinking sticky thermostat

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

Overheated it. Ugh. Praying it's ok. Weird symptoms, thinking sticky thermostat

Which one? P38??

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

replaced yet another lost exhaust manifold bolt..  checked the rest and found 5 lose ones..re-torqued them all..  i can always tell when they get lose as i get the nice brap brap brap sound...

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

yes, P38.   Got half way to work and the high temp light caught my eye.  Weird thing was i wasn't getting much heat out of the heater and wanted it because it was a bit brisk.  Shut it down, pulled over (in that order) and spent a minute freaking out.   Turned the key back to the on position and the temp light had gone out and the temp was almost out of the red, strange.  Then popped the hood expecting to see a green mess everywhere.  But, all looked pretty normal.  The coolant tank was full and the hoses had pressure.  The upper hose wasn't too hot and I could squeeze it a bit with a bare hand.  Also strange.  Gently cracked the coolant tank cap and heard boiling, so I shut it.  Went back to the cab and the temp was back in the middle of the gauge!!  Over the span of maybe 2 minutes.  Started it up, stayed in the range.  So I closed the hood and drove to work and it didn't miss a beat the rest of the way.  The heater also worked great after that.  So if the heads, head gaskets and liners didn't let go then maybe I will get away with just changing the thermostat.  We will see what happens when I TRY to go home.  

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

I heard the D2 ones with the collars are the best and don't "self extract".  I got a set out of a D2 from pick n pull and they have been good since.  

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Well who knows what the cause is but the current symptom is coolant all over the floor. Never been stranded in a rover before. Kinda stinks.

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB

Well who knows what the cause is but the current symptom is coolant all over the floor. Never been stranded in a rover before. Kinda stinks.

Collant in the car? - Sounds like you've got a blown heater core.

Had that in mine - bypassed the core till I got the enthusiasm to take the dash out to rebuilt the heater box. That was on a classic - no idea how bad that job would be on a P38

Edited by Timbo, 27 April 2016 - 07:24 AM.

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB

What did I do to mine yesterday - stared at the engine a little to try and get some enthusiasm to putting the heads back on!

Time allowing - will try today.

Guest_Pedram_*

Guest_Pedram_*
  • Old/deleted account
Coolant on the passenger side floor on a p38 is either a bad clamp on the heater core or bad heater core. It's a full days work pulling that out. Did it twice on two different P38's.

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

replaced yet another lost exhaust manifold bolt..  checked the rest and found 5 lose ones..re-torqued them all..  i can always tell when they get lose as i get the nice brap brap brap sound...

Nick if you don't already have these on your truck I would suggest you do!  they will never come loose and they are a Rover product used on D2's!

ERR6734 & ERR6318

• PaulD likes this

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB
Cars coming back together - Got me heads back on and torqued -

God I hate torque angles!

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Replaced rear half shafts on the LR3 - not bad.

Then in the rush to finish, took off on a test drive with my phone sitting on the front bumper  - bad.

• PaulD, Jethro and AdvRovr like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Installed Rovertym rear links and front arms.

Note to everyone use Anti seize on the bolts... the PO did not and I had to cut 3 bolts off... what a pain.

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Did a quick oil change and cleared the clogged AC drain lines. I was going to change the diff oil until I discovered both drain plugs were completely deformed from being dragged across rocks, so I need to figure out how to get those out.

Attached File  20160502_222911.jpg   101.39KB   10 downloads

Meanwhile my buddy was track prepping his bike. He takes it very seriously:

Attached File  20160502_231742.jpg   76.1KB   10 downloads

I got a very late start due to getting an unexpected call from my brother who was supposed to meet us at the warehouse to do some work on his 4Runner at the same time. He needed a jump, it wouldn't start.

I headed over to his place, which was 30 minutes in the opposite direction. I jumped it and it wouldn't stay running and the battery light was on, so I got to change the alternator in his apartment parking lot, which was loads of fun. At least it was relatively easy.

Definitely a longer night than I had planned.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB
Did u get a shop chad?

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Ha. I wish.

The buddy that was with me on the trip a couple weekends ago works for a wheel manufacturer so I get to use their warehouse lift occasionally. 

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

Ha. I wish.

The buddy that was with me on the trip a couple weekends ago works for a wheel manufacturer so I get to use their warehouse lift occasionally.

A wheel manufacturer you say...hmm. Do we have Nexus options there? LR4 steel wheels sound interesting...

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

They make lightweight race wheels, primarily for BMWs. They tend to be some variation of BBS designs (I know, big shock). 

Here's a quick 'shop of an LR4 with some of their wheels....LOL

Attached File  APEX JLR_1588-e1403812894217.jpg   156.1KB   9 downloads

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,154 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Did a quick oil change and cleared the clogged AC drain lines. I was going to change the diff oil until I discovered both drain plugs were completely deformed from being dragged across rocks, so I need to figure out how to get those out.

attachicon.gif20160502_222911.jpg

Meanwhile my buddy was track prepping his bike. He takes it very seriously:

attachicon.gif20160502_231742.jpg

I got a very late start due to getting an unexpected call from my brother who was supposed to meet us at the warehouse to do some work on his 4Runner at the same time. He needed a jump, it wouldn't start.

I headed over to his place, which was 30 minutes in the opposite direction. I jumped it and it wouldn't stay running and the battery light was on, so I got to change the alternator in his apartment parking lot, which was loads of fun. At least it was relatively easy.

Definitely a longer night than I had planned.

But...but...Toyotas never break!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Removed water pump hoping to find a sheared impeller, but didn't. Then cursed myself for removing a perfectly good water pump and spent the better part of the next 2 hours trying to clean the old gasket off. Ordered new thermostat. Bypassed heater core while the wife detailed the coolant out of the carpet. Q

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users