Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

RRC tire pressures

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

It looks like I won't have my LR3 ready for next weekend's run so I'm planning to take the '88 RRC.  Today for the first time I swapped on the 'vintage' BFG Mud Terrains that came with it.  225/75/16s, E-rated.

Any suggestions for a good starting pressure for these things?  The truck is basically stock, so it's not heavy.  Since I had to start somewhere I put them at 35 lbs all around and did about 10 miles of pavement.  They're loud and hard compared to the 205/80-16 Michelin 4x4-something all season (maybe very mild AT) that I took off but that's to be expected.

I thought about throwing the 33" Kellys from the '95 on it but decided that might be a bit much for a 1" lift  :)

This will actually be the first I've had the truck on the trail.  I've only had it on the street since picking it up last fall.  Should be interesting.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

i usually run 34F 38R.  you always want more in the back of a RRC.  i would probably run it lower since its lighter than mine.  maybe 32/36 or even 28/34

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I think the stock recommendation was 28/38 which seems really low.  Of course that wasn't for an E rated tire either.  I may try it though.  For the moment at least setting everything to 35 will make it easy to see if these tires hold air.  I'll check them again tomorrow and see what's what and probably drop the front a bit and add to the rear.

It'll be weird running a truck with no armor, no bumpers, no winch, etc.  I don't have a spares kit or tool kit set up for this thing yet, much less on-boar air or a place to even use a high-lift.  I'll have to at least throw a 1 1/8" socket in the tool bag for the lug nuts.

Don

lilcrawler

lilcrawler

NCLR/AZLRO Club Member

• NCLR Guest+
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  • KI6WSS
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery
Don, I usually run between 45 and 50 all the way around on my DII. On the trail, I usually run 20, but for extreme crawling I'll usually drop down to about 12.
Tyler
2004 DII- Not modified heavily enough

I get below 15 mpg on Fuelly!
Posted Image

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Next tire question:  BFG or Michelin?

Our contenders are both well-aged.  Option number 1

BFG Mud Terrain, 225/75-16.  By the maths it's about 3/4" wider than the Michelin and marginally taller.  In reality there is little difference.

E rated, obviously a tougher tire over-all but with no siping either

IMG_20160417_104501689_zpsyjzy9q5p.jpg

Option number 2, Michelin 4x4, 205/80-16.  

Clearly a more road-biased tire, a very moderate AT if you can even call it an AT at all.  But lots of siping which should make it decent on rain/snow/ice.  They do show a lot of checking in the sidewalls (age again)

IMG_20160417_104414086_zpsqfrnk802.jpg

IMG_20160417_110212400_HDR_zps4tsrjz0u.j

For next weekend's snow run I could go with either set on the '88 RRC.   The BFG is clearly the better rock and mud tire but with no siping at all will be poor in snow/ice.  The Michelin would be just the opposite - good in ice and hard packed snow but not much in rock and awful in mud.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users