Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

EFI light, RRC

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

So....what are the triggers for the EFI warning light on an '88 RRC?  Started getting the light this afternoon and the truck didn't want to idle well.  I wondered if it was altitude but still doing it at sea level.  I'm guessing TPS and or AFM are likely causes?  Any suggestions on how to test?

There may be more, but I'll worry about that later.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

Had the same light on my 91, took it to British Car service and found out it was the Throttle position sensor, bought a new one and fixed my issues. I also had intermittent throttling issues. All fixed now and got it smogged 

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

yep

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Don, I found a site when I was troubleshooting my Classic that had absolutely terrific info on the entire process and correct values for both MAF & TPS. I'll find it on my other computer tomorrow and post it here. It's very easy and just takes a few minutes to see if they're in-spec.
  • lutz and DHappel like this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

Rovergauge, so worth it!

I built my own and between that and the error codes on the passenger seat, the EFI can be diagnosed very well, without much guessing. Mine is a 95 though, but the computers should be similar since I see you have a 4.2 on it...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yeah, at this point I really know next to nothing about these motors.    I figure I'll have to get into it at some point and learn the hard way but wasn't planning do really do anything with this truck until later this year.  I will say I was pretty impressed with what it could do even in stock form and on 'vintage' tires that were well worn and hard as iron.

There's another ghost in the machine waiting to bite me in the a$$ though.  I let a hint _slip_ in the other thread.   I'm not bringing it up yet because if I don't say the words it can't be true.   :unsure:

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Here it is... http://www.actproduc...agnostic-notes 

About halfway down the page you see values and wire colors for both the TPS and MAF. 

Re slipping, hopefully it's just some valvetrain ticking and not actually an internal failure waiting to occur.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users