Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Let's be careful out there

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB

I've also got those 6 ton ones - scary - will be checking mine for cracks. Looking at the pic, it does look like the base is deformed as well

If under I usually put a spare wheel under the sill, and my trolley jack helping support - just in case!

The one thing I do like about the range compared to working on my mg or Beemer is that I can get under there and work most of the time without having to put on stands.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

FWIW, keep in mind it did't just collapse out of nowhere.  It was when I was lowering the truck back down.  I think because I had the stands fully extended as the front came down to ground level the rear was at an angle which side-loaded the stand causing the failure.  At least that's my theory.

And yes, the base is deformed.  Both rear stands got turned sideways when it fell.  

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB
I think that makes a lot of sense. Bet it would be easy to put a lot of force concentrated in a small part of the stand, esp if it was not entirly level

Still scary to know that you can over stress one of these things that easily.

I've always been very weary about putting a car on 4 stands as first 2 do seem to move a bit when jacking up the second axle.

Edited by Timbo, 18 May 2016 - 02:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users