Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Waterpump probably so what else should I tackle and replace?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE
f6cf10ea658baf61d9593b83cf2dc733.jpg

TL; DR Waterpump is toast any advice?

So returned home from a great adventure up at twin lakes by emigrant gap...and my daughter noticed a small leak...I went to check on it and my radiator fluid had created a small stream in the driveway...the overflow container was dry on the outside so it hadnt come from there...I look underneath and a steady stream is dropping down onto the lower pully and on to the ground...initial indocators is the water pump...So while I am checking this out and ripping my engine apart...any sage advice on other things I should replace? Thanks team...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB

Depends when last replaced and condition but I would consider

Thermostat,
Hoses
Belts
Belt Tensioner if bearing rough
Not sure about a D1, but if your using the small plastic radiator cap, then that as well.
  • DiscoBears likes this

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

x2 on what was said above.  But if it were mine I would be sure those parts needed replacing before spending the $.  The radiator on my 96 was rotten and got a new core a few  months back thanks to Nick D's connection.  Solid price for quality work in my opinion.  Check that also.  I had the symptom of rising temps when climbing hills on the highway when loaded up for camping.  The thermostat is on top of the motor so it's not like its hard to get to later on and the serp belt isn't exactly a chore to change either.  Depending on when the last flush on the cooling system was done it wouldn't be a bad time to do that too.  On their own each part is relatively inexpensive but you add them all up and you could be spending some $$ to get it done.  Best of luck 

• DiscoBears likes this

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE

Depends when last replaced and condition but I would consider

Thermostat,
Hoses
Belts
Belt Tensioner if bearing rough
Not sure about a D1, but if your using the small plastic radiator cap, then that as well.

To piggy back on J and Timbo

All prices from Atlantic British

Waterpump 150 or 80 ...is the difference OEM and aftermarket? any recommendations...

Thermostat 45

hoses 90

belt 30

hose clamps 11

brass fill plug 4

belt tensioner 150

Also i saw that ZDMAX makes a fan removal tool a little bit cheaper than the one sold by AB. 

http://www.zdmak.com/go/PROD/BMW-1703

http://www.zdmak.com/go/PROD/MK-1701

seems like it would work...

Anything else before I put in my order....btw I am open to any advice on purchasing besides AB...Thanks team...

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE
Got the pump off in about 30 mins rented the tool from autozone and used a trick I saw on the bearmach videos...hopefully back up by Monday

• TomOwen and Jethro like this

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB

I use a 12" adjustable wrench for the fan removal.
  • DiscoBears likes this

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
You can get the parts in town from foreign parts specialties. They are over by sac state. Will have the stuff usually same day mostly all makes brand but I have t had any problems yet. I use a big crescent wrench and a long screwdriver to remove/replace fan. Ask jarell and Pedram. Works like a charm.

DiscoBears

DiscoBears

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Roseville
  • 1998 Discovery LSE
Update....got it all done...that gasket was a damn near impossible task wasted 20 bucks on gasket remover...but some patience and elbow grease I got it off...anywho new belts new pump thermostat and plug...good to go thanks club

• Jethro likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users