Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Anybody have a TR F/R bumper?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3

So I'm in the market for a front and hopefully sooner than later a rear bumper. I really like the good clean look, reliability and a proven company like ARB. I have heard some issues about the bumper for the LR3 though, such as a small hole for clutch switch and possible bending on the sides under load? On the other hand I like to be different and I really like the Idea of supporting a local ( CA ) business and going with the Tactical Rovers bumper plus its less expensive and we get a discount but I have never seen one in person. I was wondering if anyone knows someone who has one or could just attest to them if they have seen one in person. I understand there is a ARB group buy so that may change things depending on price.  

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
The TR has a better approach angle for sure. But I think it's really based personal preference.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I've probably told you my take on it all before but I'll cover it again.

I'm running an ARB.  It did not fit well and required mods to 'bolt on'.  ARB's response when asked during installation came down to 'uh...we don't know'.  

I chose it over the TR at the time because like you I hadn't seen a TR in person and wasn't sold on it based on the pics on their website.  I've since had a chance to see one in person last summer at the Sedona rally and liked it fine.  

Comparing the two, the TR has better approach angles (the ARB sticks out a lot) and far superior winch access (the ARB has a very tight hole you have to reach through to access the clutch lever).  The ARB however is supposed to work with your stock air bags where I doubt very much TR did any testing to see how their bumper would react to them so take that as you will.   The ARB also uses the stock washer fluid tank and headlight squirters while the TR does not have provisions for the squirters (I think) and requires you to source your own smaller washer tank.  I don't know it for a fact but I also believe the TR is stronger than the ARB when it comes to outright abuse in the rocks.  That's in keeping with their respective designs as TR is a more hard-core company where ARB is more of an expo type company.

Were I doing it again I'd order the TR without a second thought.

You've probably seen this, but here's a video (part 1) showing a TR being installed.  The ARB is at least as complicated if not more so, and is harder to install in that you bolt the winch to the bumper then offer the whole thing up as an assembly, making it quite heavy.  I used my cherry picker to do the lifting and still had 2 people to align it before bolting everything in place.

• BEAR, yarrover and Jethro like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3

thanks Don. Yeah after hearing you talk about it is what made me really consider the TR. I just wasn't sure about its construction and I have heard some negative things about the TR's powder coating. 

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

thanks Don. Yeah after hearing you talk about it is what made me really consider the TR. I just wasn't sure about its construction and I have heard some negative things about the TR's powder coating. 

The powder coating on the ARB bumper is pretty shoddy too! The corners where two panel meet, tend to blister and create corrosion within. I sanded and repainted many spots to prevent further corrosion

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,959 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I can't say I've had any real problems with the coating on my ARB.  The only rust I've got on it is where I pushed a tree aside and rubbed through the coating on one corner (not bad) and some scrapes on the bottom from pushing it up rocks.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users