Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Who has a white D1 passenger fender I can cut up?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Need a white D1 front fender that I can modify to fit my fender flares. Already checked with Justin and he's already sold his last one. Any leads?

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Well...... I know somebody with a white D1.  But the paint isn't original so I don't know how well it will match.  If you want to come down and take a look at it some day you're welcome.  I would like to have a fender of some kind on it if I can - I could trade you for your existing one maybe?

PM-text-call me and we'll see if it works for you.

• TomOwen likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

it's a possibility.  Would prefer a color match.  I'm going to try and bang mine back out a bit and see what happens. 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

it's a possibility.  Would prefer a color match.  I'm going to try and bang mine back out a bit and see what happens. 

Sooooo......why would you need to bang it back out? 

Inquiring minds need to know!

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Sooooo......why would you need to bang it back out? 

Inquiring minds need to know!

Don,

You beat me to the punch ....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. Fuller and Friends were on the Rubicon last weekend.  One suspects there may be a story yet to be told.

Don

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
I think your hypothesis about "a" story is were you went array, how about a few.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  • Justin likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I think your hypothesis about "a" story is were you went array, how about a few.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Clearly you know something.

Come on Fuller!  Spill it!

Don

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

The rubicon got it's biggest bite out of the disco yet.  We went through, it's true.  Three rovers, a dirt bike, a couple of jeeps, a toyota and a bronco.  Ok, well only the rovers, bike and bronco actually went all the way through.  

The plan was to camp at Buck Island on the first day.  I have made it there in about 4 hours before.  But as life does, it got in the way and I was delayed.  That meant that Nick and Stephano had to find their own way in.  I planned to meet them wherever they stopped and hopefully that was at buck island, but provided gps coordinates to my favorite spot at spider lake as a back up.  

The wife, dog and i got to the trail head about 3 hours after we hoped to and it was getting dark fast.  We aired down, ate dinner and set off to catch up with our friends.  Using the HAM radio we learned that they didn't think they would make Buck island and intended to stop at spider lake, good for me.  But a while later I heard over the radio the good and bad news.  Good news they had camp set.  Bad news, they were significantly past spider lake.  No problem.  

But the trail in the dark is different than in the day and we were moving slower than I had hoped.  About 11:30 pm and only 100 yards from camp I pushed harder than I should have because I was working on very little sleep (due to last minute trip preps) and have been up for many many hours.  I lost a bead on the pass front tire and that sent me falling into the front fender right under the antenna.  

Friends hearing the escaping air came to  watch the repair, and thankfully, lend a hand (and a working jack).  I used the highlift, and a borrowed bottle jack (because for some reason mine wouldn't fully extend) some digging, a crescent wrench, a ratchet strap and a small compressor to reset the tire on the wheel and get back on the way for the last 100 yards.  Repairs took a little less than 2 hours in the dark and the wife slept in the car.  Mostly because she was trapped by a boulder.  The door wouldn't open fully anymore and in the morning I had to do some trail body work to make it operate again.  most of the damage is isolated to the fender.  

Worst part is that she was telling me to slow down and stop rushing right before it happened.  Listen to the ladies  

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Was this the narrow slot heading downhill just a little before Buck Island?  That's where Lutzi also cut a sidewall, passenger rear.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Worst part is that she was telling me to slow down and stop rushing right before it happened.  Listen to the ladies  

But Honey ... I can't see the trail .... I need some of those super-bright, really expensive, LED lights .....

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
It was just before the top of the slabs leading down to buck island. Nick might have a picture. I for sure don't. If you look close you can see the post trail body shop repair in this one

Attached Files

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Who was the first to say 'hold my beer....'

I heard there was fire involved.  Still waiting for the full story.  :)

Don

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
So the rest of the story is what you want. Ok.

Friday morning didn't see us up and moving too quickly. I was up first and spent my alone time trying to make that front door operable, doing some general organizing and cleaning. I think 4 yr old Brooklyn was second to rise and she and nick crawled out of the tent. The three of us and Rob who rode a dirt bike walked a few hundred yards down the trail to see the top of the slabs leading to buck island and the lake itself. We had a sense of urgency to get a decnt campsite down by the lake so we broke camp and were wheeling by about 11 or so. In less than an hour we were down at the lake near where I typically camp but we wanted to get a better spot about 1/4 mile or so further. But that last 1/4 mile took longer than it should have. We sent rob and his bike to scout out ahead to be sure the campsites we were hoping for were open. He returned shortly with good news so we pressed on. All went well until just beyond a nice rock wall when nick called ot that he had lost all steering. So we stopped, blocking the group behind and took a look. As it turned out some previous owner had damaged the steering u joint (made from aluminum if you're not familiar with them) and it was rather loose. Heavy steering input stripped it out and left him dead in the middle of the trail. The body of the u joint is split and it acts as a clamp so a little more tightening and steering was restored.

Not long after we passed on one camp site for one that was closer to the water only to figure out that there wasn't enough room for the group size so we had to turn back to the first campsite. There was some confusion about the direction we were heading and I was told that the campsite driveway I was sitting on was a good exit. After heading up said driveway (a rather steep and loose rock trail) I found myself unable to easily turn left, the way I needed to go and could not back up, and turning right meant not knowing where the next turn around would be. So after some Austin Powers style 10,000 point turning I found myself facing the correct direction, slightly Misaligned and atop a medium size drop. Only a few inches of forward movement caused both front tires to drop off said drop, rather quickly, and the forward momentum began to lift the rear end with the intention of flipping over onto the roof. In slow motion I remembered my previous experience and mashed on the throttle just in time to bring the front end forward and the rear wheels back into contact with terra Firma. After removing all the leather and foam from my hind end I drove with shaky hands down to the camp site we passed earlier and shut it down.

We set camp and during that time got word from the portion of the group that was coming in Friday morning. They were just beginning the trail. We had lunch, swam/bathed, fished and generally relaxed. It wasn't until about 5:30 that the remaining crew rolled in. The kids played and dinner/drinks were had. The fire was enjoyed and finally sleep.

Saturday morning was slow to start. The fire restarted and breakfast was had. The plan was to head out around lunch for a 3-4 hour run out to Tahoe. We wernt ready to go until about 2:30 pm and immediately had issues. The 2 stroke bike rob had purchased sight unseen before he flew out from Virginia would not start. In an attempt to roll start it Stephano tried towing it through the camp site over and over until smoke began pouring out from the cabin of the D90. He noticed smoke coming from the battery box which is located under the driver seat. Removal of the seat allowed us to see melted insulation on a ground cable. Some further investigation found the main power cable for the winch wrapped around the steering column and abrading the insulation causing a direct short. Some creative tape work and some zip ties and it we were ready to go.

Edited by JFuller, 30 June 2016 - 03:14 PM.

• DHappel likes this

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
Or so we thought. Even though we ran it for a few minutes before putting things back together as soon as he started moving, smoke, again. Another few minutes of attempted fixing and by the time we were done the bike was back together and running, it had a fouled plug. All this time the ladies and the other rigs had been waiting at the top of big sluice. We hiked up the hill, gathered our bearings and started down only to almost immediately hear over the radio "smoke again". So we stopped, again. Identified some wires with Melted insulation and disconnected some we thought would help and tried again. This time we got about 1/3 of the way down big sluice before the Maday call came for the 4th time. Fed up with its antics we decided to do some major electrical surgery to the D90. The previous owner has installed many toys that had extra wires tied in with stock ones. We pulled an entire harness that removed the race ignition, headlight power, winch control, and who knows what else. But no more smoke!!

You might be thinking at this point, that's alot of stops and not much progress. What are they going to do? I was thinking the same thing trust me. But the reason we wanted to head out on Friday was because of a large Toyota event called thoe "rubithon" was taking place at rubicon springs with a forecasted 250 vehicles and they were supposed. To be making their exit on Sunday and we didn't want to get stuck in that traffic. So we pushed on. We rolled through rubicon springs as they were doing their raffle and hit Cadillac Hill at dusk. No real issues to speak of on the way up or out. Nick got low centered on a boulder and had to jack/winch and I picked up some wood between a tire and wheel. It was just after 10 when we hit the staging area for air up. We made some dinner and parted ways.

Overall a good trip. Longer days than hoped and the damage was disappointing but we all lived to tell the tale.

Edited by JFuller, 30 June 2016 - 03:38 PM.

• DHappel and DiscoD like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,149 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

So what I'm hearing is you should have all been rolling LR3s, right?

:P

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users