Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Mendo Dispersed Camping

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

navydevildoc

navydevildoc

Neill (NCLR Member)

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey Guys! Greetings from San Diego! (Well, normally San Diego but I am on deployment in the Philippines...)

I am trying to plan a trip up to somewhere in NorCal for some great dispersed camping, Mendo comes to mind since I grew up in Ukiah, but I am open to anything. Main thing is to have a place near a stream or a river, and hopefully away from other people. We would be in two defenders or a defender and a rear-locked LR3 so trail condition isn't an issue.

I don't get home until October so it would be late fall.

Anything come to mind? After being on a ship in close quarters with 1500 people it's time for some decompression.

Thanks!!!!!

Neill

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Neil,
We just got back from Mendo NF last weekend and most of the non fire road 4x4 trails were closed off of the M3 route. There are lots of options in the Sierras that are accessible in October. When you get closer to the departure date let us know and we can try to set you up with some trails. Our club is now using Gaia GPS as our main route planner and can share the tracks.

Chris
  • DHappel likes this

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR

I would look at Gold Lake area in near the Sierra Buttes. There is a great offroad camping area that  has large campsites with Portapotties on the lake edge that is only accessible offroad. And if you really want to get remote, it leads to some good trails in the back country with good remote camping sites. 

http://www.fs.usda.g...ea/?recid=11198

There is a pretty tough trail called Snake Lake trail, the others are pretty normal other than the pinstriping. One of my favorite areas to set up a base camp and do exploring during the day and swimming during the afternoon. If you fish, there are lots of good remote lakes to head to as well...

In October you may be competing with hunters though. Things can get a bit crazy. 

Edited by Desertcrawler, 28 June 2016 - 09:52 AM.

Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I owe Snake Lake a re-visit.  The last time I was there the down-hill section toward the lake got a little dodgy when I rode a mini-landslide down the hill.  Thank you nerf bars for saving my door!

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Snake lake trail  eeezy peezy lemon squeezy 

Some fantastic mountain biking also on the Pacific crest trail

Edited by SLOHybrid, 28 June 2016 - 03:54 PM.

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,958 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'd generally agree with both Chris and Chuck.  Mendo has tons of camping options and lots of fire roads you can explore (pin striping expected) but not a lot of wheeling.  Gold Lakes area has more 4x4 stuff ranging from easy to moderately hard and more lakes to camp/fish at.  Plus it's close to my favorite easy trail in the Sierras, Sierra Buttes fire lookout.  Nothing technical, but great views.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Doesn't slick Rock trail offer that as well, might be a good October run...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users