Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hollister SVRA Shakedown Run - Sunday July 10, 2016

- - - - - Hollister SVRA Hollister Hills Not a Morg Wheel or Deal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

All,

We'll be running a few trails at Hollister this Sunday, if anyone wishes to join us.  10:00am at the Entry Station, ready to roll.  Probably out of there by around 2:00pm unless we break anything.  Hopefully we'll be monitoring 146.460 amateur band on FM.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

lunarbomb

lunarbomb

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Sunnyvale
  • '99 D2

Sounds good. I'll be there.

Michael Stewart

"R2" - 1999 Discovery II - TF 3" lift, +2" Dampers, Cobbled together front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 10,000 lb winch, TF HD steering arms and damper, RTT, Cooper Discoverer M/T 265/75/16, Diff skids, various low-end, craigslist, ebay and home brew bits...

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Small turn-out for this, but it was last minute.

Michael and his 3.5 yr son in their D2 and Lucas and me in Katrina (still minus the rear bumper).  Lucas had to get used to the manual trans again, but that didn't take too long.  Decided to take an easy run over the Rubicon Rocks, which would have been fine until I opened my pelican case containing the recovery gear only to find that I had no straps and also no winch controller.  That would have been okay too, except the rear diff was hung on a rock and the front was sitting on the drag link and radius arm .... luckily, Michael had a high-lift jack, and with a little rock stacking we got it free.  Note to self: check what you think you pack into the truck is actually what you need.

Over at the newer obstacle course we did the "ultra-flex" thing over the moguls, only to lose a spring.  I still haven't retained the top spring, and even with the x-springs we had run out of spring length (we later realized that we actually hadn't fully seated it again ....).  Note to self: Put the retainers, or at least zip ties, on the spring before next time.  Funny thing was that Michael and I had talked about this last week and he had actually done his now ....

Michael's son was getting a bit bored (as they do at 3.5) so Michael headed out.  He offered his high-lift just in case we needed it again, but of course, we didn't take it, because we wouldn't need it, would we?  Errrr, no, we wouldn't have needed it if we'd taken it ....

We did a loop round then sat at the bottom of truck hill eating lunch, where we watched a couple (out of about ten) Jeeps, and a big Chevy go up.  The Chevy was on large, possibly 38 boggers, and even aired down he struggled, especially at the top.  He came down the easy way.  The two Rubicon unlimiteds went up and down, hardly sliding at all.

We followed them out, but decided to turn left and up part of the park that is lesser used, overlooking Five Fingers (which is closed at this time of year).  Some of that part was quite dusty and loose, especially along the boundary fence (where Don's run went during last year's Annual Event {aka OktRoverFest}).

We then took a trail that I had never been up, which seems to get very little use (I didn't know there were any that I hadn't tried at Hollister).  About 100 feet in it turned into a gully, and then started to get off-camber and pitted.  Then we heard that sound at the rear ... yes, as the main rear spring fell out, complete with top hat, leaving us on the x-spring alone!  With some clever backing up we managed to re-flex the axle enough to get the springs back in and re-seated properly this time.  We decided to back down and head home, by way of the quarry, which has really flattened out a lot now, leaving little challenge.

A few pictures for those that wish to see Katrina flexing her axles ....

https://goo.gl/photo...gGJwh2rBkhprr1A

https://goo.gl/photo...gGJwh2rBkhprr1A

Regards,

Graeme

• lunarbomb likes this

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

At what point does one have 'too much' flex?

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

At what point does one have 'too much' flex?

Don,

Just after you have "too much time" and "too much money".

Graeme

• astateofmike likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Don,

Just after you have "too much time" and "too much money".

Graeme

As an LR3 owner, none of these situations is familiar to me.

• Tom likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lunarbomb

lunarbomb

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Sunnyvale
  • '99 D2
I was just happy to see my shiny new hi-lift get some use!

Michael Stewart

"R2" - 1999 Discovery II - TF 3" lift, +2" Dampers, Cobbled together front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 10,000 lb winch, TF HD steering arms and damper, RTT, Cooper Discoverer M/T 265/75/16, Diff skids, various low-end, craigslist, ebay and home brew bits...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hollister SVRA, Hollister Hills, Not a Morg, Wheel or Deal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users