Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Disco 5

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Spy photos popping up in the uk

http://www.autocar.c...ost-undisguised

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
:(

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • AlysonH likes this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
The front looks kind of similar to the newer Range Rovers, but I am not seeing Land Rover anywhere else... It looks like some strange minivan/station wagon/suv mix.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Alyson, reminds me a lot of the current Dodge Durango with a Ford Explorer face (since LR seems to have adopted the Explorer front clip as their new corporate face).

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

hmmmmm.....

2454eb1ee37cd96b3273385f648f2283.jpg

• Justin likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

lutz

lutz

NCLR053/SCLR

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Grover Beach CA
  • KK6QGU
  • 2004 Discovery 2
  • 1999 Discovery 2
  • 2008 LR3

Prob have to give it 5 to 10 years before we see anything original from Tata/Land rover. I waiting for the Bronco/ Defender

Edited by lutz, 19 August 2016 - 01:50 PM.

• TomOwen and AlysonH like this

KK6QGU
04 Discovery 2-Trail truck- RTE 3in with fox 2.0 shocks, $g rear cones ,$G front bumper with Warn XD9000i custom rear,ARB's air lockers F&R with Ashcroft 4.12 w/reverse cut front , Ashcroft HD axles/CV's, RTE diff guards F&R , Max Yedor HD tie rod and track rod,custom watts, 255/85-16 MAXXIS MT-762 BIGHORN

99 Discovery 2 -Parts truck

2008 lr3

http://www.pacificadventuretours.com/

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
I see the resale value of my 13 LR4 w the V8 is going up!! Not that I'd sell!! After this last WR trip even Kylie wants to keep it long term!!
  • TomOwen, DHappel and erinw.rrc like this

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
I'll take 'no' for $500 Alex.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I wanted to revive the new "Discovery" thread. I am sure some of you saw the YouTube video of the guy jumping out of the plane and configuring the electronic seats with his iPhone, well here is another spy shot video:

https://youtu.be/MwD4zn6sh5g

The reveal is coming up in about a week, though I think between the official front photos, the shots of the Discovery in the jumping out of the plane video and the one above, we have a pretty good idea what the new Discovery looks like in person. Basically a bigger Discovery Sport. 

Oh a couple of shots in the feed below (but still in camo):

https://www.instagra...m/nickdimbleby/

Edited by DavidW, 14 September 2016 - 08:06 AM.

• RedRover likes this
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

I'm not knocking the Disco Sport, as I think it's a pretty sharp little cute-ute Freelander replacement and I get that automakers need hot sellers in order to turn a profit. 

But, to take something like the full size DISCOVERY of all things, with its history and pedigree, and turn it into a slightly-larger Disco Sport mall cruiser is just so very sad. I don't even think it's a bad looking SUV - go on and sell it as a new, different model and I'd be happy. But to see the Discovery take such a departure from the last nearly-30-years is tragic. :(

Edited by AdvRovr, 14 September 2016 - 08:17 AM.

• AlysonH and Jethro like this

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

It'll look like the concept they showed in 2015... 

http://www.carscoops...covery-for.html

LR-Disco-NY3.jpg

Chris

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Because there is no market for real off-road vehicles anymore.

I mean, Jeep practically has to give away Rubicons....

Note sarcasm :(

Don

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

I'm not knocking the Disco Sport, as I think it's a pretty sharp little cute-ute Freelander replacement and I get that automakers need hot sellers in order to turn a profit. 

But, to take something like the full size DISCOVERY of all things, with its history and pedigree, and turn it into a slightly-larger Disco Sport mall cruiser is just so very sad. I don't even think it's a bad looking SUV - go on and sell it as a new, different model and I'd be happy. But to see the Discovery take such a departure from the last nearly-30-years is tragic. :(

I have to agree with you! While I think it will be a brilliant vehicle, full of technology (yuck) and luxury, and very capable off road, it is just not in line with the previous 4 generations of "Discovery". I guess I understand Land Rover needs to make money and compete with the segment, but this is just such a huge deviation from the design. I don't really understand because the LR4 is selling like crazy, used vehicles are going for more than any rover has gone for in the past. They are in such demand! Maybe the new Defender coming in 2018/2019 will hopefully be somewhat similar to the model that left us in 2015.

Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)
Full-sized Baja roof rack, ladder, front skid plate, tail lamp guards, 18" Compomotive PD1880 wheels with 265/65R18 BF Goodrich A/T KO2 tires, Tactical 4x4 rock sliders with steps, gas tank and transfer case skid plates, ARB front bumper with WARN XD9000 winch, RIGID Dually off-road lights, Kaymar rear bumper with custom tire swing-away, and a bunch of other stuff.

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Because there is no market for real off-road vehicles anymore.

I mean, Jeep practically has to give away Rubicons....

Note sarcasm :(

HAHA! To be honest, I am SHOCKED at the number Jeeps I see on the road in New England. I know it's winter weather and all, but there are so many Jeep Wranglers (especially the Unlimited version) that it is incredible. A few are modified, but most are just stock. Personally, I feel if Land Rover kept the most recent design, updated the safety/emissions as needed, put a few minor extras in it similar to a Jeep Wrangler, price it right, it would sell like hot cakes!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jethro likes this
Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

DavidW

DavidW

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Someone sent me this video .... more information coming on the LR website in anticipation for the launch in about a week and a half!

http://www.landrover...t%20page%20link

Sometimes it looks big and sometimes it looks no bigger than a Discovery Sport. I am really having a hard time telling each model apart.

Posted Image
2013 LR4 (Discovery 4)

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Yep it's sad they are loosing the off road credentials - that is corporate marketing for you - go where you can maximize margins - and perhaps epa and other regulators also dictate this for fuel economy reasons etc.

But perhaps it opens the door for a new defender as the hard core off road machine. A lot of people in the uk are also upset at the end of the current defender ....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yep it's sad they are loosing the off road credentials - that is corporate marketing for you - go where you can maximize margins - and perhaps epa and other regulators also dictate this for fuel economy reasons etc.

But perhaps it opens the door for a new defender as the hard core off road machine. A lot of people in the uk are also upset at the end of the current defender ....

Certainly CAFE and EPA (and whatever the Euro version of those is) is playing a part.  I think that's why we saw the 5.0 go away.  But it's still no excuse in my mind.

As for the Defender....we can only hope.  And I'm not holding my breath.  The 'best case' I think is if they follow the 'family' program they outlined (Range Rover, Discovery, Defender) and offer multiple version of the Defender.  Then they can still sell a blinged out $100K version and *maybe* still sell an off-road worthy $50K version that can compete head to head with a Rubicon in the tough stuff.  At least that's what I'd like to see.  Again, not holding my breath.

Don

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE
Looks like a Ford Explorer and a Dodge Durango had a baby.
  • Jethro and AdvRovr like this

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

So disappointing... they went so far as to differentiate the 'range rover' line from the 'discovery' line and all ghee trucks look exactly the same! WTF! Where is the historical step-up roof design, square back to increase cargo room.... where are any angles? 10 years ago, the vehicles were distinct and each filled a niche. Now they are homogenous and dull and look like a damn Kia. Why can't they understand how vital the heritage of the brand is and that offroad capability differentiated them from other makers. So sad... chasing profits and losing identity...

• Jethro likes this
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

So disappointing... they went so far as to differentiate the 'range rover' line from the 'discovery' line and all ghee trucks look exactly the same! WTF! Where is the historical step-up roof design, square back to increase cargo room.... where are any angles? 10 years ago, the vehicles were distinct and each filled a niche. Now they are homogenous and dull and look like a damn Kia. Why can't they understand how vital the heritage of the brand is and that offroad capability differentiated them from other makers. So sad... chasing profits and losing identity...

It has taken years of poor sales for domestic makers before they started to remake the old cars again with a modern twist... hopefully they come to the realization sooner!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users