Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

REVIEW: MUK UK Dome Light Replacement for Defenders (but i'm pretty sure you can make them work in other models)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

IMG_2765.JPG

IMG_4159_1.JPG

When I redid the interior of my Defender 110, I had decided to add red and white LED lights for different uses.  I added red for the second row so I could keep track of what my kids and dog were doing in the back seat and for navigating at night.  I then added white throughout the truck so at camp I wouldn’t have to hunt around for gear in the dark, but the switch was in the cargo area.  I had the stock dome light which seemed to do fine for the typical hunting for dropped toys and snacks.  I had already spent hours installing red and white LED strip lights to the interior of my car.  Running wires, soldering new connectors to each light strip, installing switches, etc.  So when a replacement dome light made by MUD UK with red and white LEDs showed up from Justin at Lucky8 to demo and review, I wasn’t sure if it was going to add to what I already had going on.  I wired the light up to my spare battery and I have to say, it’s damn bright.  So I took on the task of installing this in my truck.  For me this was going to be a challenge as I don’t have a standard dome light.  My 110 has an internal roll cage with the dome light riveted to a tab stuck on my roll bar.  This does not allow for the dome light to be removed and the MUD UK unit to be installed as intended.  So back to the drawing board.  I was able to fab up a mount that would accommodate the MUD UK unit and not have to run new wires.  The MUD UK unit requires a ground wire which wasn’t available on my mount as the lamp housing was grounded to the roll cage.  I was able to use the set screw on my light mount to hold the ground wire for the MUD UK unit.  Once this was done, it was a matter of positive to positive, negative to negative and I had light!  After patting myself on the back and cracking a beer, I set up my camp chair and waiting for nightfall to see what these lights could do.  Once darkness had fallen, I powered up the white light and it lit up the cabin like daylight.  It’s rated at 228 lumens and color rating of 6,000K which is “vertical daylight, electronic flash” according to Wikipedia. It was bright enough that I couldn’t even tell when I turned on my original white LEDs.  The red was impressive and pretty perfect.  It was bright enough to be useful but still maintained night vision.  It is easy to toggle between the red and white with intuitive switch locations.

The unit comes with the option to be switched on/off by opening the door or by the switch.  From looking at the instructions, I believe that this would be a 10-15 minute job if you have the standard dome light configuration.

UPDATE: MUD UK now sells a housing plinth for this unit to allow for installs in situations like mine where the lamp can’t be recessed into the roof lining.

IMG_2776.JPG

PDF Attached with the pics of the install.

Attached Files

• RedRover likes this

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users