Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Towing capacity in low range?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

mirowsky

mirowsky

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • North Beach, San Francisco
  • KM4JDQ
  • LR4 2013 HSE

Does low range increase towing capacity?

I am going into the Black Rock / High Rock desert with a friend who has a Wrangler with 3,000 lb towing capacity. My LR4 is nearing 6,000 lbs with full camping load. Can the Jeep tow the Rover out to near pavement if it stays in low range and 2nd or 3rd gear? 

The Rover's 7,000 lb towing capacity would have no problem towing the Jeep out (under 4,000 lbs).

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Yes! but your Jeep friend is going to have to carry a welder/transfer case/halfshafts/ u-joints/ driveshafts/coolant etc. etc.

You should be fine in the Rover with it's fantastic traction.

• mirowsky likes this

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Can the Jeep tow the Rover out to near pavement if it stays in low range and 2nd or 3rd gear? 

The Rover's 7,000 lb towing capacity would have no problem towing the Jeep out (under 4,000 lbs).

"...Jeep towing Rover... "  Hahaha   Oh So good.. Happy Monday, that's a good one!  hahahaha....

;-)

• mirowsky likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

As long as your going slow and not trying to tow over large rocks or a really gnarly trail or steep incline you should be fine.  Winch over the tough stuff and take the easy way out and i wouldn't hesitate to do it.  

• RedRover and mirowsky like this

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

As long as your going slow and not trying to tow over large rocks or a really gnarly trail or steep incline you should be fine.  Winch over the tough stuff and take the easy way out and i wouldn't hesitate to do it.  

<kill joy>

;-)

• RedRover likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Typically the tow capacity rating doesn't change much in low vs high because it's based on more than just power. Stuff like axle weight ratings, strength of tow hitch, weight carrying capacity of the hitch, and - oh yeah - brakes. ;)

Flat towing a vehicle is different from carrying weight of a trailer, though, and I wouldn't be worried about exceeding the tow rating by a fair margin for flat towing in low range.

Like Fuller said above, though, winch over big obstacles. Don't try to yank across some big rock or you could yank the tow points off either vehicle. And a kinetic strap would be beneficial for small/moderate obstacles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • AlysonH, RedRover, DHappel and 1 other like this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

<kill joy>

;-)

I didn't say i wouldn't be embarrassed to do it...

• mirowsky likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Typically the tow capacity rating doesn't change much in low vs high because it's based on more than just power. Stuff like axle weight ratings, strength of tow hitch, weight carrying capacity of the hitch, and - oh yeah - brakes. ;)

Flat towing a vehicle is different from carrying weight of a trailer, though, and I wouldn't be worried about exceeding the tow rating by a fair margin for flat towing in low range.

Like Fuller said above, though, winch over big obstacles. Don't try to yank across some big rock or you could yank the tow points off either vehicle. And a kinetic strap would be beneficial for small/moderate obstacles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Totally agree.  For flat towing on a trail yes I'd use low in the Jeep to make it easier on his trans but I wouldn't think twice about the towing limit as that's a very different thing than towing a rig on-trail.  

Now would I tow the Rover down I80 with a Jeep?  Er...not so much.

• mirowsky likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

mirowsky

mirowsky

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • KM4JDQ
  • LR4 2013 HSE

Thanks folks. That is more or less what I suspected. The details are useful, or might be if my friend would take the risk. He sounds reluctant. I can't blame him. But I'll pass your comments on to him.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I find peer pressure is highly effective.  I suggest pointing at him and making chicken sounds.

• RedRover likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

mirowsky

mirowsky

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • KM4JDQ
  • LR4 2013 HSE

You know, Jeep people can get sensitive about things like clucking sounds.

• RedRover likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users