Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Stock LR 4 in High Rock Canyon: Advice?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

mirowsky

mirowsky

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • North Beach, San Francisco
  • KM4JDQ
  • LR4 2013 HSE

I want to take my stock LR4 through on the Applegate-Lassen trail through High Rock Canyon, north-east of Reno, NV. I am looking for advice, up to and including "Don't try it." 

I plan to go with a friend who has a 2013 Wrangler Sport, somewhat modified with 33 inch tires, 4 inch lift, disconnects, and some extra skid plates. He drove the circuit at the Niagara Rim Poker Run, except for the tight V up the second set of boulders.  I would not attempt any of the named passages in my stock LR4 -- too wide, inadequate tires, no armor. (I am talking about the places marked "Modified Vehicles, Experienced Drivers Only).   

Neither of us has a power winch. I have a hand winch rated 3 tons dead lift, but I have never tried it on the Rover. (I got it to pull my old Wrangler out of Florida mud holes).

I have two spare tires (one regular, one hard rubber). But my tires are light truck street tires.

We plan to drive east from Gerlach along the railroad tracks to the Applegate-Lassen trail, then north to Soldier Meadows (camping over night), then west to High Rock Canyon and north through the canyon.

I am looking for advice on...

...fuel consumption, drive times, difficult spots, recovery services, airing down, HAM contact, places I should see/ side trips, whatever else.

I have two guide books written by Chuck Dodd, but they are 8 to 10 years out of date. He seems to have driven an F150, which might be about the size of an LR4, with better off road tires, but less capable 4x4 system. Interestingly, Dodd recommends AGAINST airing down. He says the sharp rocks slice to sidewalls too often. (Comments on that?)

Thaks for anything you can tellme or recommend.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,965 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I haven't driven those trails so can't comment too much about them.  And I'm at lunch so I only have a few minutes, not enough time to get into details.

RE tires - I too would recommend staying at or near street pressure for a street tire.  With a heavy vehicle like an LR4 combined with it's low profile stock street tire there's just not enough sidewall to be a benefit and as Rupert recently demonstrated it's very easy to cut a sidewall even on moderate terrain with a street tire.

Regarding a winch, do you have something like a More Pow'r puller?  Or a simple 'come-along' type winch?  A come-along is better than nothing but only slightly.  I've tried to pull a stuck truck out with one and it's just not something you want to do.  The Pow'r Puller on the other hand is a real manual winch that should be a good choice.

Recovery wise, you'd probably do better with a tow strap and recovery strap than either manual winch, assuming you only have one rig stuck at a time.  They're cheap and handy enough you can pick them up for this trip and just throw them in the rig.

• mirowsky likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

I was looking for the NCLR trip back in like 2011 or so, but found this link instead:  http://emigranttrail...pplegate-trail/

I see there are many clubs who run as a group and do trail work out there too.

• mirowsky likes this

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
When are you going? I'd be happy to let you borrow my Crux bridging ladders. They act as both a traction mat and a bridging ladder. Might come in handy helping to avoid some recovery situations.
  • yarrover and mirowsky like this

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

mirowsky

mirowsky

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • KM4JDQ
  • LR4 2013 HSE

Thanks folks. As usual, you have provided excellent feedback.

Don:

Yes, it is  a power puller. It is pretty hefty, and with some sweat and a pulley or two it probably can do the job if I can find a good anchor. I have a sand anchor, but it needs to be buried well to work (usually much digging). The strap is definitely preferred. Thanks also for confirming the tire advice.

Mike:

Thanks for the link. I will follow it.

Chris:

Thanks for the ladder offer. My friend will be bringing his, so I am covered, but I appreciate the generosity. I carry a pick axe, shovels and a 6-foot pry bar (for moving rocks). But the ladders are probably much less work than excavating and filling.

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)

I did it in 2003 in my stock 2003 D2. No air down. At that time just worried about flash flood/mud. And trip was a week before Burning Man.

Tow strap is good.

Fuel services are in Gerlach or Cedarville, when we went stations closed by 6pm

Tow service at that time was out of Cedarville. Make sure you have AAA Premium.

Carry 1 spare Jerrycan.

There is a Ham relay for Black Rock Desert area.

Edited by ROVRMAN2, 31 August 2016 - 03:47 PM.

• mirowsky and Jethro like this
2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

mirowsky

mirowsky

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • KM4JDQ
  • LR4 2013 HSE

Thanks Rovrman2. I have a 5 gallon fuel can I will bring. I will look up the Ham relay. I am guessing it works well in the playa but spotty at best in the canyon. BLM told my friend that Bruno's in Gerlach will tow out of the canyon. Not confirmed yet, because they are busy at Burning Man. I'll check service in Cedarville too. Thanks for the warning about 6 pm closing at the gas stations. I'll pass that on to my partner. It might be important for planning.  

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

I did in 2009 in an LR3, were was another LR3, a D2 and a Kevin Suttle in a stock Ford Navigator. No issues at all except for a clogged air filter in my LR3 that caused the truck to stall right as we were entering the canyon. Only one place needed spotting for the Navigator.

Have fun!

• mirowsky likes this

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

mirowsky

mirowsky

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • KM4JDQ
  • LR4 2013 HSE

Thanks DiscoChef. I was worried about clearing brush and rocks in the tight spots. I saw some Utube videos made from Jeeps, and I could not tell if a wider LR would clear. If the Navigator can make it, I probably can too. This is reassuring.                                                                                       T                                                   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users