Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Jeep GC on the Rubicon

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Looks like Jeep just took a couple of the new Grand Cherokees through the Rubicon.  They 'stacked a few rocks' they said but got through just fine stock.  

I'd like to see some pics/videos.  How did they get their stock rigs past the drop at the top of Old Sluice?  How about past the tree in the middle of said hill?  How did they get past some of the ledges without draging bumpers or rockers?

In some of the pictures you can see a small army (I counted 7 people in one photo) working around the GC to make sure it gets through.  My guess is there is more than just 'few' rocks being stacked, along with some serious veteran trail guides.  Something tells me their Rubicon might not be the one we ran this spring.

Or maybe I'm just seriously underestimating the Jeep and this is all sour grapes.

I'll wait for more video/pictures.

http://expeditionpor...es-the-rubicon/

• Jethro likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

They never mentioned that they went from loon to Tahoe.  They only ever said "Basecamp" but the write up does say they went to the springs.  No mention of what happened after that.  Wonder if they're still there?  It would take plenty of effort and rock stacking to get a vehicle like that through, but after the Jamboree weekends and what not that go on all summer it can get pretty paved by those groups.  

ROVRMAN2

ROVRMAN2

NCLR011- Rupert

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • KJ6IOF
  • 2005 LR3 HSE
  • 2004 DII HSE (deceased)
  • 2003 DII HSE (deceased)

Airlift???

2005 LR3, sliders, ARB bumper,Superwinch X9,Front Runner roof rack,OME ladder,
100w PV,aux battery,M416 camper trailer, RTT, LED lightbar, Green Oval lift rods.
AlCan,Dalton,Edgerton,Top of the World,Cassiar,Baja Sur Highways approved.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

They never mentioned that they went from loon to Tahoe.  They only ever said "Basecamp" but the write up does say they went to the springs.  No mention of what happened after that.  Wonder if they're still there?  It would take plenty of effort and rock stacking to get a vehicle like that through, but after the Jamboree weekends and what not that go on all summer it can get pretty paved by those groups.  

I think I got my Sluices confused.  I should have said 'big sluice', not old sluice...we didn't do old sluice this spring, though I did hike up it to get a control arm.

Even so, first there's the big drop on the 90* turn at the top of big sluice.   Then the squeeze past the tree right in the middle of the trail.  Then the gnarly section at the bottom of the run as you approach the river.  If they got a stock GC through all that to get to Rubicon Springs they must have done a ton of paving.

As they say, 'pics or it didn't happen!'

• RedRover likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users