Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Discovery 5 arriving in late September

- - - - - Discovery Disco 5 D5 Coventry Solihull

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,454 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Just popped up for me in my news feed... special event in late September with an attempt at breaking a world record.

"Coventry's Jaguar Land Rover set to unveil new Discovery model"

http://www.coventryt...er-set-11830745

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,454 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

...and the first (non-spy) photo has cropped up:

Attached File  discovery.jpg   44.8KB   16 downloads

Jared (KJ6MQI)

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

:(  :(  :(

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2007 Mercedes GL320 Diesel // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

"Can you make it work?" - "Made by the English...let's not get our hopes up."

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,454 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

New shots gathered from LR's site (and elsewhere)... full announce in a day or so.  I think the first pic is one of the better ones for showing off the roofline.

Attached File  disco_2017.jpg   69.75KB   8 downloads

Attached File  disco_2017_2.jpg   53.87KB   8 downloads

Attached File  disco_2017_3.jpg   111.58KB   7 downloads

Attached File  disco_2017_4.jpg   35.09KB   6 downloads

Attached File  disco_2017_5.jpg   34.49KB   6 downloads

Jared (KJ6MQI)

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

Blah,

another Evoque.

Still no interest on anything LR made post 90s

• AdvRovr likes this

Rum_Ham

Rum_Ham

The Dude

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Napa, CA
  • '00 Disco- Oxford Blue

Super disappointing... With all the technology out there they could have built something incredible. The only hope is that they will in fact build a new Defender some day that doesn't look like an Explorer, Mini Cooper, and a FJ Cruiser sodomized each other.

• dcproven and AdvRovr like this

Dave

CumxUOw.gif

Born ~ 1985...  Died ~ In your arms tonight...

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE
Gross. It's your basic soccer mom SUV. No offense to all the wonderful mothers out there

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

I will admit, it looks like they did a terrific job on the interior, and the pull-out tailgate is quite clever. I would've rather they kept the split tailgate, but at least they still included a tailgate, which the D1 and 2 didn't have. 

2009 Range Rover Sport // 2007 Mercedes GL320 Diesel // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE

I will admit, it looks like they did a terrific job on the interior, and the pull-out tailgate is quite clever. I would've rather they kept the split tailgate, but at least they still included a tailgate, which the D1 and 2 didn't have.

I'll agree with you the interior is very nice. White leather sooo fancy. But I just don't see the transition in body style to what it has been to what it is. when the clay model was passed around that round table. Why didn't some one just ask "Why".

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,454 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Photos from the Paris Motor Show and press releases:

Attached File  land-rover-discovery-paris-motor-show-12.jpg   107.65KB   4 downloads

Attached File  land-rover-discovery-paris-motor-show-13.jpg   126.3KB   4 downloads

Attached File  land-rover-discovery-paris-motor-show-14.jpg   100.04KB   4 downloads

Attached File  land-rover-discovery-paris-motor-show-15.jpg   62.97KB   3 downloads

Attached File  land-rover-discovery-paris-motor-show-16.jpg   77.83KB   3 downloads

Attached File  land-rover-discovery-paris-motor-show-17.jpg   72.35KB   3 downloads

Attached File  land-rover-discovery-paris-motor-show-18.jpg   65.64KB   3 downloads

Attached File  land-rover-discovery-paris-motor-show-22.jpg   66.96KB   3 downloads

Attached File  land-rover-discovery-paris-motor-show-31.jpg   143.21KB   3 downloads

Attached File  land-rover-discovery-paris-motor-show-33.jpg   114.23KB   4 downloads

Attached File  land-rover-discovery-paris-motor-show-34.jpg   102.26KB   4 downloads

Jared (KJ6MQI)

drafdog

drafdog

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

http://m.wsj.net/vid...2_v2_ec664k.mp4

This video says it all...literally --- "the latest iteration of the Discovery is a far cry from the original, used by explorers and the Red Cross"

I don't mind the styling but too much electronic gadgets for me.

Mark D.

2005 LR3 with a few goodies.

2000 Discovery II - 2" lift, 33"s, steel front winch bumper

(NCLR017)

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Just read another article that interviewed the Discovery chief engineer. Makes me sad. Perhaps I'm being a bit hard on him, but still...

http://www.digitaltr...p-interview/#/8

A few key quotes:
"we still have to stay true to what each model stands for. One of the things the Discovery stands for is being a seven-seater people carrier, and I think we’ve done that in a really modern way."
// Really?! That's what Discovery stage for?! A 7 seat people carrier?! Think that says enough right there.

"Some people look at it and ask “it’s gone a bit soft, hasn’t it?” Why have you done that?” I say “it’s got a Land Rover badge on it.”"
// That's a terrible answer, and is exactly how you dilute a brand, even if it is supposedly more capable. Capability is one thing, durability is another.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  • DHappel, erinw.rrc and Jethro like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,292 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Pros:

they shed 1000 lbs (!)

diesel available

better mileage

increased wheel travel

increased fording depth

Terrain Response II should be better than ever

Cons:

even more needless electronic gimicks to go wrong (really?  an app to fold the seats down?  this was worth development money/time?)

approach/breakover/departure angles all worse than the D3/4  (OK, supposedly departure is the same)

19" or 20" wheels standard

looks very difficult to add larger tires or armor to

So over all it's not terrible, but it's not something I'd buy.  I suppose it will do pretty well on mild trails but with even worse angles than the existing truck and no possibility of adding proper tires things look pretty dodgy from there.  

I'll forgive them if they give us a $50K Defender that can go toe-to-toe with a Jeep Rubicon while still having more range, diesel option, and more payload.

• dcproven and Jethro like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Your last paragraph are the foundation for most LR wet dreams!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  • AdvRovr likes this

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

"Some people look at it and ask “it’s gone a bit soft, hasn’t it?” Why have you done that?” I say “it’s got a Land Rover badge on it.”"

If I had a copy of Photoshop with me, I'd be doing some interesting Land Rover design right now .... (now where was that picture of a fridge with a Land Rover sticker on it?).

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discovery, Disco 5, D5, Coventry, Solihull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users