Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Best place for head gasket replacement in Sacramento?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Andrew Winding

Andrew Winding

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States
  • 2000 Discovery 2
So I think my head gasket may need replacement; the truck drives fine but I can smell coolant in the exhaust during startup...does anybody know a good place to have the replacement done in the Sacramento area? I'll probably have it done later this winter.

Thanks!

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

You can check with Gene Mcaffertys in Rocklin  

https://www.yelp.com...ervices-rocklin

They did some work on my P38  They can get pretty busy tough.  I still say the best place is in your garage.  

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

You can check with Gene Mcaffertys in Rocklin  

https://www.yelp.com...ervices-rocklin

They did some work on my P38  They can get pretty busy tough.  I still say the best place is in your garage.  

ha....I thought you had posted this question and I was going to say 'in your garage' as well.  :)  

Of course, I say this not having done a Rover head gasket myself.

If you're unsure about the gasket so far, you might try one of the combustion gas checkers.  They test for combustion byproducts in the coolant, not the exhaust, but you'd like have an issue there as well.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Andrew Winding

Andrew Winding

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States
  • 2000 Discovery 2
I may tackle it myself I haven't decided yet. I've never done anything that involved so I don't know if I feel comfortable doing it or not. I know could probably do it but I don't know if I should tackle it or not...

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
It's all just nuts and bolts.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

And cleaning.  Always lots of cleaning.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

Alex at British Car service is who I would go to

Good pricing and he knows rovers really well 

• RedRover likes this

Andrew Winding

Andrew Winding

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • United States
  • 2000 Discovery 2
Just got off the phone with him, nice guy and seems to know his stuff!
  • Justin likes this

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB
I did this myself this spring on my classic - still holding up and not too hard! Was a bit daunting as I'd never done it before.

The hardest ️bit is remembering where it all goes during reassembly. If you do it yourself - take plenty of pictures on disassembly , be methodical, and have a great system to storing your parts - there will be a lot! also allow way more time than you think! What really delayed me was AB did not have one specific head bolt! - waited 2 weeks for it to come in.

I can't recomend a good machine shop for re-conning the heads, as it was on the peninsular at that time (now moved to el dorado hills) - but that is worth doing as well. Got them cleaned, tested skimmed and valve seals replaced ($200). All in I think doing it myself cost about $500. With the amount of disassembly/assembly just to get there, plus cleaning time, I can see why this would get expensive at shop labor rates.

Only thing I could not be absolutely sure about was the condition of the block and if I had a liner issue when I started. - chance I took. All. Looked great - could still see the horn marks on the liners - not bad for 244k miles!

Edited by Timbo, 09 September 2016 - 07:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users