Jump to content

Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Well there's your problem

- - - - -

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1
DHappel

DHappel

    NCLR Trip Ambassador

  • NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Pretty easy to find the issue here.  The real question is Why?

 

IMG_20160921_151512360_HDR_zps1fcelmoi.j


Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock


#2
TomOwen

TomOwen

    -

  • NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Dropped? Hit something on the way down...?


:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

__________________________________________________________________________
'96 Discovery I, 122k, 5sp, RoverWare Bumper, Winch, ARB, BFGs, LEDs, OMEs, SD, etc...

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen


#3
AdvRovr

AdvRovr

    NCLR Treasurer

  • NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Wow. Could that be from receiving too much charging current for too long? 


Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 


#4
Rum_Ham

Rum_Ham

    The Dude

  • NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Napa, CA
  • '00 Disco- Oxford Blue

The answer is simple really, God hates Interstate Batteries...

 

In all seriousness though, I have never seen anything like that in my experiences. I have seen batteries explode but never like that. Most impressive... 


Dave

 

CumxUOw.gif

Born ~ 1985...  Died ~ In your arms tonight...


#5
DHappel

DHappel

    NCLR Trip Ambassador

  • NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Wow. Could that be from receiving too much charging current for too long? 

I think you're onto it here.

 

First, this is a standard flooded battery.  The owner thought it was an AGM because all the other batteries on that charger (generator, both engines, bow thruster) are AGM.  The boat did not orriginally ship with AGMs so I assumed somebody had set the charger to AGM when they changed and forgot about this one flooded battery.  Upon checking, I found they had actually set it for Gel batteries.  AGM batteries use a slightly higher charging voltage than flooded.  Gel are higher yet.   I think this is the root cause of the explosion.  

 

That and Interstate.   :)

 

I've only seen one other battery explode like this.  It was a flooded battery that was ignored for a very long time and left to run dry though the charger was still running.  It exploded in the bilge with nobody around.  This one let go when the owner hit the pre-heater for the genset (it's the gen battery).  I bet it made a fun sound....


Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock


#6
GraemeWare

GraemeWare

    general old hooligan

  • NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Don,

 

I know the answer to this one.  I don't have time to type the full explanation, but I saw the same thing many years ago on a rotary UPS system with a large number of 6V block in series (totaling over 500V).  I was called out by a customer and found pieces of battery over the other side of a room (about 25 feet across) and there was an 8' high switch cabinet in between the two.

Analysis showed that a "lead tree" had grown across the plates, causing a low resistance path that acted like a filament when current was drawn (in that case it was when the mains failed and the system went to battery, so pulling 200+A).  The filament ignited the hydrogen and that was the result.  I never understood where the oxygen came from for the explosion, but it was obviously enough to split the case and then there was plenty of oxygen!

I would guess your one "exploded" when the starter was cranked, or some other higher load was applied.

 

Regards,

Graeme


Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...


#7
DHappel

DHappel

    NCLR Trip Ambassador

  • NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Don,

 

I know the answer to this one.  I don't have time to type the full explanation, but I saw the same thing many years ago on a rotary UPS system with a large number of 6V block in series (totaling over 500V).  I was called out by a customer and found pieces of battery over the other side of a room (about 25 feet across) and there was an 8' high switch cabinet in between the two.

Analysis showed that a "lead tree" had grown across the plates, causing a low resistance path that acted like a filament when current was drawn (in that case it was when the mains failed and the system went to battery, so pulling 200+A).  The filament ignited the hydrogen and that was the result.  I never understood where the oxygen came from for the explosion, but it was obviously enough to split the case and then there was plenty of oxygen!

I would guess your one "exploded" when the starter was cranked, or some other higher load was applied.

 

Regards,

Graeme

You may be correct.  It let go when he hit the pre-heater for the diesel genset.  Not as much draw as the starter, but pretty good.  I'd guess at least 50 amps.

 

I'm heading back down to that boat tomorrow to check on a different charging issue.  Seems both engine alternators are charging at 16v for some reason.  I find it unlikely that both regulators failed at the same time so I suspect something else is going on.


Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users