Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Sierra Day Trips

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

lunarbomb

lunarbomb

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Sunnyvale
  • '99 D2

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any trails within an hour or two of Alta that might be good for a day trip. I have family in Alta that I'll be visiting this month. It'd be nice to get out and dabble a little, weather permitting.

I'm also hoping to stage some decent high sierra trips out of Alta next year. I just want to start getting a sense of how might work. 

Thanks!

Michael Stewart

"R2" - 1999 Discovery II - TF 3" lift, +2" Dampers, Cobbled together front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 10,000 lb winch, TF HD steering arms and damper, RTT, Cooper Discoverer M/T 265/75/16, Diff skids, various low-end, craigslist, ebay and home brew bits...

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
There is a ton to explore going that way... what types of trails are you interested in?

Trails.com or Northern California back country adventures book are good resources to look through.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
  • lunarbomb likes this

lunarbomb

lunarbomb

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Sunnyvale
  • '99 D2

I enjoy everything. Paved and well graded fire access roads get dull fast though. Unless the scenery is amazing.

I like a challenge but not when I'm alone (which I'm likely to be this month).

Really, everything I'm doing with my truck right now is preparation for the Rubicon next year.... and Dusy..... and hopefully Moab.

Backcountry Adventures: Northern California is on order. Trails.com is bookmarked (I've also been enjoying the High Sierra 4X4 podcast you mentioned in another post last week I think).

Thanks much. I appreciate the input.

• Jethro likes this

Michael Stewart

"R2" - 1999 Discovery II - TF 3" lift, +2" Dampers, Cobbled together front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 10,000 lb winch, TF HD steering arms and damper, RTT, Cooper Discoverer M/T 265/75/16, Diff skids, various low-end, craigslist, ebay and home brew bits...

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

I don't know any specific trails in that area, but I've heard there are some great ones. If you find some you're interested in and want to run them, let me know and I'd love to join in. 

• lunarbomb likes this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
The best one that is close by and is challenging would be signal peak, the club has made a few runs up it and given its proximity to the Sacramento area don't think you would have trouble finding company.

It's definitely on my list once I get my drive shaft and radiator sorted.

Also lots to explore off the emigrant gap exit going south or going North from hw20 you can explore around Bowman lake.

Keep us informed on what you are thinking, I'm always interested if it's a free weekend as I'm really close by.

• lunarbomb likes this

lunarbomb

lunarbomb

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Sunnyvale
  • '99 D2

I don't know any specific trails in that area, but I've heard there are some great ones. If you find some you're interested in and want to run them, let me know and I'd love to join in. 

The best one that is close by and is challenging would be signal peak, the club has made a few runs up it and given its proximity to the Sacramento area don't think you would have trouble finding company.

It's definitely on my list once I get my drive shaft and radiator sorted.

Also lots to explore off the emigrant gap exit going south or going North from hw20 you can explore around Bowman lake.

Keep us informed on what you are thinking, I'm always interested if it's a free weekend as I'm really close by.

^Awesome.Thanks fellas.

The signal peak trail head is only 30 min from Alta. Awfully tempting. I just did some reading and it sounds like there's a couple of challenging spots. I'm going to keep doing research.

I wonder what the weather will be like on the 15th or 22nd...

Edited by lunarbomb, 03 October 2016 - 04:04 PM.

Michael Stewart

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Signal Peak isn't bad; there's one spot that can be a challenge and may require a winch if it's wet.  We've done it several times as part of the club and as stated, there are usually some of the Sac area folks willing to go up and give it a run.

• lunarbomb likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lunarbomb

lunarbomb

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Sunnyvale
  • '99 D2

It's official. We'll be up in Alta 10/21 - 10/23. Saturday the 22nd seems like a really good day to do some exploring! I'll start a new thread in the general trips section.

Michael Stewart

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

It's official. We'll be up in Alta 10/21 - 10/23. Saturday the 22nd seems like a really good day to do some exploring! I'll start a new thread in the general trips section.

I'm definitely interested. Can't commit yet but I'll watch for the new thread!

• Jethro and lunarbomb like this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,963 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I'm definitely interested. Can't commit yet but I'll watch for the new thread!

If I'm going, you're going.  It's that simple.  I still need to see that P38 on a proper trail!

• Jethro, lunarbomb and AdvRovr like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users