Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Defender Mechanic Help for $$$ and Beer

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

kurtisblo

kurtisblo

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Mill Valley, CA
  • 1991 Defender 110 200TDI
Hi guys. I live in the North Bay and I'm looking for someone that is a good mechanic to help me with a few projects. My goal here is two fold. 1) to get some work done for less than the $135/hour labor rate charged by local Marin independents. And 2) I want to help with the work and learn how to do some of it myself.

Let me know if you have any interest in making some money and all you can drink Pliny (possibly the Younger as my buddy works at RR Brew Co) and teaching someone the ropes. My truck is a 1991 200 TDI. The projects in order of priority/severity are:

1) read differential leak - need to seal the rear case and pinion. My understanding is that this is not a tough job but I'm not comfortable doing it myself

2) Transfer box - it is leaking and could be resealed or replaced. Not sure about the gear box

3) steering box - is leaking and I've been told needs to be replaced but would like to get another opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • PaulD likes this

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

Based on location and desire, I would suggest you reach out to our very own Tiger Dan Harris. 

Hopefully he will chime in soon.

• Desertcrawler, TomOwen, PaulD and 2 others like this

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

kurtisblo

kurtisblo

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Mill Valley, CA

Based on location and desire, I would suggest you reach out to our very own Tiger Dan Harris.

Hopefully he will chime in soon.

Thanks. I sent Dan a PM. Let me know if anyone else is willing/able/interested.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Not sure how much help I can be other than I have a 200Tdi, tools, space to work and most importantly a patient saint of a wife.
  • Justin and TomOwen like this

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Tons of great resources within the club from Drop off at CTMotorwerks to testing the patience of Chris's amazing wife (I think I've done both, I KNOW I've done the latter ;-)

+1 for reaching out to TigerDan. "One Stop Shop" for getting it done up in your neck of the woods. He's got his fingers in many pies so hopefully he can fit you in on your timeline.

Also, check out Meridian for the Power Steering Box.  Not only is it THE box to use, NCLR has a discount in place with them. More details in the Sponsor section.

Good luck,

Tom

• PaulD likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

kurtisblo

kurtisblo

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Mill Valley, CA
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I think Walnut Creek is just too far away to be practical for the work. The shops in Marin I am speaking with are J&A and Ed Wright both in San Rafael.

I sent an email to Meridian to get details on the steering box.

Are the steering box and the rear diff projects that are reasonable to take on either by myself or with some help/guidance? Keep in mind that I basically have no car maintenance experience but am reasonably handy.

• PaulD likes this

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

can you see where the leak is coming from at your steering box? Leak when pump (engine) is running? 

I had a leak at my steering box recently, and traced back to a nut holding the line from the pump got itself loose. 

Knock wood, that was easy fix with a small wrench. 

And where is the transfer case leaking & how bad is it? 

I haven't done it myself (my leak is slow enough it doesn't bother me), and if leak is at bottom plate... that is a DIY. 

Maybe some pictures will help. 

Chris

kurtisblo

kurtisblo

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Mill Valley, CA

can you see where the leak is coming from at your steering box? Leak when pump (engine) is running? 
I had a leak at my steering box recently, and traced back to a nut holding the line from the pump got itself loose. 
Knock wood, that was easy fix with a small wrench. 

And where is the transfer case leaking & how bad is it? 
I haven't done it myself (my leak is slow enough it doesn't bother me), and if leak is at bottom plate... that is a DIY. 

Maybe some pictures will help.

Hi guys.  I'm attaching a few photos of transfer/gear boxes.  Not sure where the steering box is so didn't take any photos.  I don't know if the photos will be helpful in assisting in identifying leaks/issues.  With regards to the Rear Diff, i took off the breather tube and cleaned out the banjo bolt (which was full of crap).  I'm hoping that cleaning this out will ease pressure on the rear diff.  The two shops i brought my truck to both said the steering box and transfer box have mild leaks.

Attached Files

Edited by kurtisblo, 24 October 2016 - 05:19 PM.

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Yeah those don't look bad at all. My transfer case leaks like that. It also looks like you have the wading plug in the transmission. I think those are only supposed to be in when wading but I could be wrong. If you want to drive to Livermore I'm happy to at least pole around with you and see what we find.

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

The TC seepage looks similar to what's going on under my truck.

The bolts to the cover has similar droplets. I check the TC fluid level every ~500 miles. At last check (500miles after fill), I find no measurable loss. 

If you haven't check, that's the first thing I suggest doing. 

I got some good tips/how to check & change the diff & TC fluid from here:

The steering box should be connected to the steering rod, to the front of the truck (at least that's where it is for my NAS D90, LHD). 

You can find the workshop manual for Defender 90 & 110's here: 

http://www.landrover...-rover-manuals/

Chris

kurtisblo

kurtisblo

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Mill Valley, CA
Thank you. Helpful video for sure. Can anyone else confirm regarding the "wading plug"?

kurtisblo

kurtisblo

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Mill Valley, CA
Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you all know that I connected with Dan and he has been incredibly helpful. He taught me quite a bit already and repaired a bunch of the little annoying things that would've taken me countless hours to figure out. There are a number of items remaining on the punch list and I'm confident that with Dan's help I will get through them. This crew is awesome. Can't wait to participate in an event soon

• DiscoChef, TomOwen, DHappel and 1 other like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you all know that I connected with Dan and he has been incredibly helpful. He taught me quite a bit already and repaired a bunch of the little annoying things that would've taken me countless hours to figure out. There are a number of items remaining on the punch list and I'm confident that with Dan's help I will get through them. This crew is awesome. Can't wait to participate in an event soon

Dan does know his way around a Rover V8.

• TomOwen and PaulD like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

awesome!

btw, if you haven't greased the u-joints.. you should add that on the to-do list. 

• PaulD likes this
Chris

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

awesome!
btw, if you haven't greased the u-joints.. you should add that on the to-do list.

Why is that? abe340a531be97010bbf78e295c2ec17.jpg
  • Jethro and AdvRovr like this

Chris KK6CQE

08 BMW 550i

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

Chris, that is an unusual walking stick you have there. :D

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Chris, that is an unusual walking stick you have there. :D

"Walking Tall"...Rover edition

:-) 

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

Dan does know his way around a Rover V8.

Thanks, Don. I'm also not too bad finding my way around a TDi, which is what Kurt has. I seem to be working on more and more of them lately...everyone wants to burn oil!

NCLR087

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

Damn, I wish I could go back of getting my hands dirty on a Tdi instead of the V8... I must be a special kind of masochist.

Although to be fair, other than the P gasket, never had issues with the Tdi's

kurtisblo

kurtisblo

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Mill Valley, CA
I want to give a shout out to Dan for helping me on multiple occasions w my truck. His depth of knowledge is incredible and his attention to detail is aways appreciated. He has given me a leak free (mostly and for now :)) truck for the first time after repairing rear diff, transfer case leak and front pinion. Dan you are the man.

• PaulD and Jethro like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users