Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Defender Mechanic Help for $$$ and Beer

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I want to give a shout out to Dan for helping me on multiple occasions w my truck. His depth of knowledge is incredible and his attention to detail is aways appreciated. He has given me a leak free (mostly and for now :)) truck for the first time after repairing rear diff, transfer case leak and front pinion. Dan you are the man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get your beloved leaks back soon enough...  :P

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

That sounds pretty awesome! 

@Dan... my turn! my turn!

I have a slow leaking LT230, and possibly leak at ZF4HP22 transmission to the LT230 (Don spotted the red fluid on the CDL cover over the wkend - thanks, Don!), also the rear diff seal (maybe the front too, but currently too gunked up with dirt, so leak may be dormant)..., a small seepage (it's not a leak! leak drips; seepage wets) on transmission cooler line. Oh, lastly, 2-days fresh exhaust leak between manifold and downpipe due to one broken stud. 

Do you think you can look at them @ the Annual? I can meet you there early Friday. 

Plus, mine is a Rover V8... should be easier than the TDi. ;)

j/k. :D 

Edited by lithium1330, 19 September 2017 - 11:21 PM.

Chris

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

I expect to be there early on Friday, I may even go down Thursday eve. and camp at Sycamore camp or one of the other campgrounds. So anyway, that should be doable. I'll bring my creeper so I can roll around underneath and have a good look, there's a nice concrete pad by the bathrooms that would work just fine for an under-car inspection.

NCLR087

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

I expect to be there early on Friday, I may even go down Thursday eve. and camp at Sycamore camp or one of the other campgrounds. So anyway, that should be doable. I'll bring my creeper so I can roll around underneath and have a good look, there's a nice concrete pad by the bathrooms that would work just fine for an under-car inspection.

Thanks and appreciate the offer, Dan! 

My sense of humor in my earlier post prob didn't come through... :)

All the leaky parts are factual, but I wouldn't ask you or anyone to crawl under the truck - esp during the Annual.

With nearly 150k miles, I expect gaskets and seals are now well beyond their service life, replacing worn parts is really the way to remediate. 

See you next week! 

Edited by lithium1330, 21 September 2017 - 09:53 AM.

Chris

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

It wouldn't be the first time I've done a repair job at the Annual! And really, all I'm offering at this point is to take a look, dealing with the leaks you describe most likely entails pulling the transfer case and resealing it.

• Jethro likes this
NCLR087

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,045 posts

Thanks and appreciate the offer, Dan!
My sense of humor in my earlier post prob didn't come through... :)
All the leaky parts are factual, but I wouldn't ask you or anyone to crawl under the truck - esp during the Annual.
With nearly 150k miles, I expect gaskets and seals are now well beyond their service life, replacing worn parts is really the way to remediate.
See you next week!

Well, if you're turning him down I'll have him fix all the leaks in Katrina. Dan, how clear is your schedule for that ....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

Clear enough to at least take a look...

NCLR087

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032
Lol!

Don, do you have a trailer to tow the 2-post lift down to the annual?
And there is already a concrete pad, so... tough part is done. ;)
Chris

TigerDan

TigerDan

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • North of the North Bay
  • KO1RVR
  • 1991 Range Rover
  • 1995 Defender 90
  • 1961 Series 2 88"
  • 1994 RRC SWB
  • 1994 RRC LWB

I have a two post lift and a trailer...but somehow, I don't think the park service would like us drilling holes for anchors in their concrete pad! And I doubt it's a 4" thick pad anyway, so I think that option is out. :P

• AdvRovr likes this
NCLR087

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,160 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I have a two post lift and a trailer...but somehow, I don't think the park service would like us drilling holes for anchors in their concrete pad! And I doubt it's a 4" thick pad anyway, so I think that option is out. :P

Eh....bring a couple 3' square pieces of 1/2" plate and we'll anchor through that plus around the perimeter.  I'm sure the pad will be fine. 

Shall I stop at Home Despot on my way and pick up some Redheads and an SDS drill?   :)

Edited by DHappel, 25 September 2017 - 06:52 PM.

• AdvRovr likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users