Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

To build or not to build

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

JFuller

JFuller

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
Last week the P38 I bought for my wife had an unfortunate incident with one of our wild four legged neighbors. More unfortunate for the deer than for the RR but I digress. Damage was sustained to the passenger side of the front bumper and below. On a p38 the front bumper is all one piece from the top of the plastic bumper cap down to the lowest visible point. This includes the bumper reinforcement behind the plastic as the plastic is glued on.

The way I see it I have two basic options. Return it to stock or put something "else" on it. Before you ask, no I don't have collision insurance because what's the point on a vehicle of its value. I had the body shop who is repairing the rear end quote the repair to the front and they wanted just over $2,000 for a new bumper and a little paint. Humm... That's a lot of $ for a stock bumper. A used model from British Recyclers is significantly less expensive but none are available in my particular color. An off road winch bumper is available for this vehicle for under $1,000. BUT, this is the wife's daily driver and it's not likely going to see any serious off-roading and won't likely get any other upgrades for off road travel. And $1,000 is still a lot of $.

So the question is, what would you do? And more importantly, what should I do?

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
I know it's more fun to upgrade it, but if you have no plans on ever wheeling it, it really doesn't make sense. I'd get a bumper from BR and just respray it.

Sent from my Google Pixel using Tapatalk
  • Jethro likes this

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2007 Mercedes GL320 Diesel // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

"Can you make it work?" - "Made by the English...let's not get our hopes up."

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
I had the fortune of owning a D2 that was given an ARB bumper prior to my ownership. It was the wifes DD as well, and never saw trails. I thought about taking the bumper off, but when the full size Toyota decided to ge head to head with herat 20mph, we drove it to the shop. Tbe Toyota lost everything to the radiator.

Deer bounce better off armour. I would armour away.

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yeah, I was just thinking if you'd had that ARB on the front BEFORE the deer showed up this probably wouldn't be an issue.  I don't think super-highly of ARB for crawling, but they are pretty much built to protect from animal strikes.  The question is cost of putting a used stocker on vs the ARB?  And of course what the wife might think of it...I guess that matters too.  :)

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

Wheres ROB G at ????

Maybe he has a spare off road bumper put aside, I know he tends to hoard P38 goodies 

Same with Teds :)

• RedRover and Jethro like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yeah....Ted would be the man to ask!

• RedRover likes this

Don

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport

Yeah, I was just thinking if you'd had that ARB on the front BEFORE the deer showed up this probably wouldn't be an issue.  I don't think super-highly of ARB for crawling, but they are pretty much built to protect from animal strikes.  The question is cost of putting a used stocker on vs the ARB?  And of course what the wife might think of it...I guess that matters too.  :)

My ARB bumper saved the LR3 from the scrapyard when I hit a deer three years ago.

Mind you that I did need a new ARB bumper from the damage that I received from said deer.

It only did $17,000 worth of damage to the truck.

So the $500 or $600 ARB bumper was definitely worth having?
Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

My ARB bumper saved the LR3 from the scrapyard when I hit a deer three years ago.

Mind you that I did need a new ARB bumper from the damage that I received from said deer.

It only did $17,000 worth of damage to the truck.

So the $500 or $600 ARB bumper was definitely worth having?

Not sure...but did that $500 or $600 ARB bumper mean the $17k of damage may have been more and caused greater injuries?  

In our case, it was the difference between tow/incapacitated and drive home.

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

JFuller

JFuller

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
Ok then. Who has some p38 parts they want to unload?

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,465 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Oddly, I saw one sitting at a Starbucks the other day with Mickey Thompsons and coils.  

This is of no use here, I just thought I'd mention it for no specific reason other than we're discussing P38s.

Don

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts
  • KI6WSR

Last week the P38 I bought for my wife had an unfortunate incident with one of our wild four legged neighbors. More unfortunate for the deer than for the RR but I digress. Damage was sustained to the passenger side of the front bumper and below. On a p38 the front bumper is all one piece from the top of the plastic bumper cap down to the lowest visible point. This includes the bumper reinforcement behind the plastic as the plastic is glued on.

The way I see it I have two basic options. Return it to stock or put something "else" on it. Before you ask, no I don't have collision insurance because what's the point on a vehicle of its value. I had the body shop who is repairing the rear end quote the repair to the front and they wanted just over $2,000 for a new bumper and a little paint. Humm... That's a lot of $ for a stock bumper. A used model from British Recyclers is significantly less expensive but none are available in my particular color. An off road winch bumper is available for this vehicle for under $1,000. BUT, this is the wife's daily driver and it's not likely going to see any serious off-roading and won't likely get any other upgrades for off road travel. And $1,000 is still a lot of $.

So the question is, what would you do? And more importantly, what should I do?

Offroad winch bumper. Especially if she keeps the car until it dies. Then you can easily sell it off as a used bumper to someone.

Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

robg

robg

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Wheres ROB G at ????

Maybe he has a spare off road bumper put aside, I know he tends to hoard P38 goodies 

Same with Teds :)

I am still here, on the outer edge - Build a new one from scratch, its pretty straight forward and you can have something one-off not store purchased. There are a number of companies that sell "part kits" that you adapt and weld, its got all the parts you would need.

I recently sold my P38 to a guy in Idaho, that had a nice bumper with winch.

Hey Mr. Fuller - How the Dickens are you???

• Justin and RedRover like this
LUCAS - Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)

I recently sold my P38 to a guy in Idaho, that had a nice bumper with winch.

Bubbles is gone??
  • RedRover likes this

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,492 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4