Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Bad Steering Wheel Leather

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

cjohanson

cjohanson

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • San Francisco
  • 2002 Discovery II
  • Someday - '67 IIA 88

So not really an off-road mod but the leather has gone bad on the top of my steering wheel on my D2.  Anyone else had this problem?  I tried to get a cover but couldn't find one that would fit and they all look like crap.  Anyone ever had it re-upholstered without spending a fortune?  Thoughts?  I'll post a pic but it basically rotted at the very top of the wheel and starting to rip off. I have the two tone black and beige color scheme to go with a beige interior.

I saw this but was curious if others had ideas.

http://landroverforu...-through-41377/

Chris Johanson

cjohanson1234@yahoo.com

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,960 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I've never messed with one on any of my cars, but the consensus of that thread seems pretty positive on the wheelskinz covers.  

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

I certainly don't make the time to deal with interior tedious re-trimming ... just send it here :)  http://www.custom-steering-wheels.com/

They are fantastic...wait 2 weeks pay your bill and install... et voila.

• AlysonH likes this

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4
Another idea might be to replace it with a used one that isn't in the same condition... that's what I did on RedRover. The steering wheel had been covered with those beautiful Naugahyde strips with the plastic rope to hold it in place by the previous owner; even that was falling apart, so I knew it was time to do something.

Justin had a decent looking one on an old RRC in his yard and it was a simple swap. All of the cruise control buttons worked correctly and looks a lot better than what I had.

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004

I have a nicer spare in my parts bin somewhere, but my friend suggested cutting the leather off...worked like a charm for my RRC.

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

I've had a guy re-upholstered a steering wheel with alcantara and leather on my other car... quality is top notch, but it's pricey (~$350). 

You pick the type of leather/material, he'll even increase the padding. 

I've seen $200 wraps/re-upholster jobs and they're not good. There was a guy (from Ft Lauderdale area) that sells his service on ebay. Yea, service industry in FL is crapshoot (mostly crap). Plenty of bad stories of poor quality, stitching and things fall apart - google it. 

More reasonable option is as Jared & others suggested - buy a used one off ebay or similar. 

But if you're interested in the re-upholster... lemme know and I'll dig up the name. 

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users