Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

P38 - Slipped Liner / Blown Gasket

- - - - - Range Rover P38A overheat gasket liner

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Gngroup

Gngroup

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

After a new radiator, new thermostat, new coolant expansion tank cap, and bleeding the system multiple times, I am still overheating. Unfortunate. I thought the issue was fixed as I was able to drive about 4 miles round trip all in San Francisco (hills up and down) without incident - then randomly overheated on the way home from work. I can only assume at this point that I've either got a blown head gasket or slipped liner.

The Rover is a 2001 HSE. Other than this issue, the car is in great shape. 103k miles. Original air suspension still intact and working.

I'm not sure it's financially worth saving so I figured I'd post here and get some input. What would you do? 

2001 Range Rover HSE
http://www.davidnelsonsf.com

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

Sorry you are having issues with your RR,

Land Rovers almost never make sense financially...

So I guess it all depends on how attached you are to it and what your long term plan is with it, if you want to keep it for years then it may be worth putting the money on it.

I would also bring it to some reputable mechanic that can accurately describe the problem, it may not be what you are fearing, these things are a bit temperamental :)

To me, I keep them as second cars, so I can enjoy with friends on overland trips or offroad, for me is well worth expending the money or time to fix and maintain,... so far anyway.

HTH

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

I agree with David;  not sure if you can make your way to Walnut Creek, but Colin Brown has been a long time supporter of the club and is well-versed in Land Rover / Range Rover.  He will be able to diagnose the issue at a reasonable cost.

If I were working on a purely financial weight while deciding to repair/fix RedRover, we would have been out of that truck ages ago... when you factor in the memories and amazing adventures we've done, it softens the blow a bit.

Sounds like you need to get out on trail with your P38 a bit more!  :D

• dcproven likes this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

Gngroup

Gngroup

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thanks guys. Yes, there is sentimental value that outweigh's the financial value for sure. That said, if it's new engine time, I'm probably going to be moving on to another Rover project. I'm having it towed to my longtime mechanic (Ed Wright's British Car Repair) up in Marin for his opinion. I could have it towed to Colin Brown too if it makes sense. I'd love to keep it as our second car. But, I'd also love a Classic . . . a Portofino Red Classic! 

And yes, you are right, I should get out on the trail more with this! Nick Tan told me about this group and I joined last year but we had another baby and I never really managed to get out to anything social with regards to the club. Maybe 2017 is the year . . .

Edited by Gngroup, 05 January 2017 - 03:24 PM.

• dcproven, RedRover and DHappel like this
2001 Range Rover HSE

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Portofino red RRC?  Now that's just sucking up to Jared.  You know it's his wife that's president, not him.  ;)

I would pretty much agree with everything already said.  From a purely financial standpoint it rarely makes sense to keep these things on the road.  I've spent many thousands 'improving' my LR3 but the end result of my 'improvements' is to actually lower it's resale value as that also means I use it pretty hard off road.  But hey, some people go out to nice dinners or to the bars or go to the movies every weekend.  I play with Rovers.  

I was also going to suggest Colin at CT Moterwerks in Walnut Creek but if you've got somebody you trust that should be fine.  If it's just a head gasket that won't be a crushing blow.  If it's a slipped liner that would be more significant certainly.  I didn't see what year it was - 4.0 or 4.6?  If it's a 4.0 it may be cheaper to swap engines than do a rebuild.  Or maybe this could be a chance to upgrade some things.  You won't know for sure until you get a solid diagnosis.

• RedRover, erinw.rrc and Jethro like this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Gngroup

Gngroup

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Funny enough, I have always liked the Red RRC's!

Mine is a 2001 4.6 HSE
2001 Range Rover HSE

Gngroup

Gngroup

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'd actually love to convert it to a Turbo Diesel but I am not so sure that's possible; especially in California.
2001 Range Rover HSE

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
The Cummings create motor is an option, will cost you 8k though. I think Tyler just recently did a rebuild on that engine in his D2. Might be good to connect with him or Chuck.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
I have one of those. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Mine has a coolant leak. Not sure of the source yet but it doesn't overheat. Hope you can get it sorted out. Keep us updated please

Gngroup

Gngroup

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Results are in . . . Combustible gases in the cooling system. It is either a head gasket or a liner. I think this is the end of the line for me and this Rover. I'll probably post it in the classifieds shortly as someone on here may be more inclined and/or mechanically capable to deal with the issues.
2001 Range Rover HSE

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB
Can u tell if it's a liner without removing the heads?

Gngroup

Gngroup

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was told there is no guarantee that fixing the heads would solve it if it was in fact a liner. So, I assume no.
2001 Range Rover HSE

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

I was told there is no guarantee that fixing the heads would solve it if it was in fact a liner. So, I assume no.

Sadly, there is no way to tell the difference without opening up the top end.  While a slipped liner may be visible at that time, it is possible that it isn't evident even with the heads off, resulting in a $2000-2500 job for nothing.  Doing it yourself is a 16+ hour job and $300 of parts.  Unfortunately, that is why P38s and D2s are worth $750-$1000 once this happens.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

Desertcrawler

Desertcrawler

Chuck (NCLR025)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • KI6WSR

For 3 - 4K you can get a new, rebuilt engine block with liner sleeves pinned. But you have to find someone to take out the old and put in the new, which is not a trivial task. When Tyler did his, Tiger Dan stepped up. But it was a very time consuming process on the D2. .I'm sure if you asked him he could quote you the hours.

Chuck (KI6WSR)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
3" RTE Lift,Bilstein Shocks, GBR 4:11s gears, Rovertym bumpers front & rear, 2 IPF HID lights , rear work lights, custom sliders, diff guards, gas tank protector. Warn 9600 winch, synthetic rope, 285/75/16 tyres, Brownchurch rack, CDL Linkage, Heavy duty drive shafts, ARB air lockers, heavy duty rear axles & front CV joints from GBR. Ham & CB radio

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB

Sadly, there is no way to tell the difference without opening up the top end. While a slipped liner may be visible at that time, it is possible that it isn't evident even with the heads off, resulting in a $2000-2500 job for nothing. Doing it yourself is a 16+ hour job and $300 of parts. Unfortunately, that is why P38s and D2s are worth $750-$1000 once this happens.

Regards,

Graeme

Pity - might have been interested if just a HG job. - that hold no terrors for me!

Can attest to the time - did it last year on the 4.2 in my classic. Time consuming is an easy way of describing it. Would also up the cost if you get the heads refurbed.

Edited by Timbo, 17 January 2017 - 02:06 PM.

Gngroup

Gngroup

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks all. It could end up being just the heads but as was stated, no way to tell for sure. Seems a new (or rebuilt) engine is the answer. I don't think I'll spend the money on this one but I appreciate everyone's insight.
2001 Range Rover HSE

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB
If your inclined and can strip the heads off yourself you could always take a look at the state of the gaskets.

When I got mine off it was fairly obvious where they had gone as they had corroded and started to disintegrate in the small patch between the water jacket and the rear cylinder bore.
  • Gngroup likes this

Gngroup

Gngroup

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Timbo - that is well beyond my ability level unfortunately. I'm also recovering from shoulder surgery yesterday so wrenching on the car and bikes is not in the cards for me at the moment regardless. I do love this Rover and would like to keep it but the financial cost outweighs the sentimental value and my (lack of) mechanical skills don't bridge the gap.

Edited by Gngroup, 20 January 2017 - 12:07 PM.

• RedRover likes this
2001 Range Rover HSE

Gngroup

Gngroup

Navigator

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Any ideas on where the best place to list this for sale is? I posted it on the local CL yesterday. Alternatively, any thoughts on places to donate it to (assuming they'd even take it)?

2001 Range Rover HSE

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Any ideas on where the best place to list this for sale is? I posted it on the local CL yesterday. Alternatively, any thoughts on places to donate it to (assuming they'd even take it)?

How much are you asking and where are you located?  I hear there is a home for old Land Rovers in Walnut Grove ....

Graeme

• RedRover, erinw.rrc and Jethro like this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Range Rover, P38A, overheat, gasket, liner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users