Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Traction mat buyer's guide on ExPo

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

During January MORG, Don spent some time going through the different types and use of traction mats.

Expedition Portal just published an article on the different traction mats available, along with details on what's good/bad, along with cost, etc. 

http://expeditionpor...-traction-mats/

Chris

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Don totally ragged on my PSP units but he did it proper by explaining where they are of use.  He's right -- they are pretty useless in snow/ice, but have helped immensely on dirt/sand.  I used two stacked together as a bridging ladder over about a 2-3' gap and they hardly flex when stacked and driven over.  I'd love a set of the actual Mantec Bridging Ladders with the reinforced sidewall, but they are pretty specialized and very expensive for the use case.

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I suggest we put these and other traction aids to the test at the next MORG.  I feel a snow run coming on!  MET perhaps??

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

psykokid

psykokid

SCLR Club Member

• SCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

I remember last year's shaver run where we had the Excalibur-esqe challenge when Nick's Maxtrax got buried straight down in the snow. No one ended up being worthy and we had to dig it out of about 2' of snow.. 

• DHappel likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

*we're not worthy!*

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Don totally ragged on my PSP units but he did it proper by explaining where they are of use.  He's right -- they are pretty useless in snow/ice, but have helped immensely on dirt/sand.  I used two stacked together as a bridging ladder over about a 2-3' gap and they hardly flex when stacked and driven over.  I'd love a set of the actual Mantec Bridging Ladders with the reinforced sidewall, but they are pretty specialized and very expensive for the use case.

Jared,

Cheapest bridging ladder is available from Home Depot and can be used to keep warm in the evening, after use.

645px-2_By_4_Clue_Stick.jpg

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Jared,

Cheapest bridging ladder is available from Home Depot and can be used to keep warm in the evening, after use.

645px-2_By_4_Clue_Stick.jpg

I can break that. Just sayin.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

I can break that. Just sayin.

Don,

My friend, I can believe that ... which is why RoverWare.US also stock LR3/4 driveshafts.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users