Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Footage laying asphalt in the Australian outback...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

The speed at which they're able to just lay down asphalt over dirt road is mind blowing.

This may be painful to watch for some....So, viewer discretion advised... 

• Jethro likes this
Chris

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

That's pretty quick.

So why does it take so long to patch the potholes around here? 

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

They have a completely different paving mindset out there.  The spend most of their money on the aggregate base materials and get all of their structural section out of that.  The Asphalt and surface coarse is purely to prevent water intrusion and add some wear resistance and increase the friction factor.  It's a proven and good way to do it but completely different way than we do it here.  California roads suck for the most part compared to many other places.  It's just sad in my opinion for what we all are forced to hand over to uncle jerry brown.  

• RedRover and Jethro like this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

They have a completely different paving mindset out there.  The spend most of their money on the aggregate base materials and get all of their structural section out of that.  The Asphalt and surface coarse is purely to prevent water intrusion and add some wear resistance and increase the friction factor.  It's a proven and good way to do it but completely different way than we do it here.  California roads suck for the most part compared to many other places.  It's just sad in my opinion for what we all are forced to hand over to uncle jerry brown.  

Yes, it looked a lot different than what we do.  Seemed like they laid down a layer of 'tar' (a binder of some sort) then just dumped gravel (aggregate) over the top and compacted it.  Doesn't seem like it would be very durable but then again I'm not a road engineer.  

I totally agree about the state of our roads.  Highway 160 is a disaster and has been for years.  Every year they come and patch spots which last a couple years then they get even worse.  Seems like they'd be money and time ahead to just come in and do it over completely instead of redoing the same patching over and over but I wonder if the fact it's built on a levee isn't the problem causing subsidence.

Per the comment on uncle Jerry, see Drew's State of Jefferson post.  :)

• RedRover likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB
Would expect the traffic levels on that road and also the weather conditions it's got to cope with are vastly different than what Cali roads have to put up with.

Biggest problem with our roads is that they are old and no one wants to pay for their upkeep. Just put band aids on them every time new pot holes open up. Some of the Bay Area freeways are an absolute discrace - almost shook the car apart last time I went over the Alamont pass.

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

almost shook the car apart last time I went over the Alamont pass.

Erin & I noticed this coming back from my parents (going westbound) -- I jumped around lanes trying to find a better area but the whole thing looked like a bomb had went off.

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
I hit one and bent both front and rear driver's side rims. Eventually both flatted. Yeah it was amazing. Blind corner at night felt like I hit a wall and lucky it didn't send me into the oncoming lane on Vasco

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,964 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I hit one and bent both front and rear driver's side rims. Eventually both flatted. Yeah it was amazing. Blind corner at night felt like I hit a wall and lucky it didn't send me into the oncoming lane on Vasco

Was that on the BMW by chance? We killed a couple of tires and a wheel on ours thanks in part to the crappy stock run flat Bridgestone it came with,

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

El Solis

El Solis

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
It was. Don't have run flats on Michelin pilot sports

Chris KK6CQE

CT110 Himalayas Pre-Scout Truck
08 BMW 550i
2013 Discovery 4, Black Pack, NCLR sticker as only modification….for now
1963 Jaguar MK2 3.8 litre

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

Yeah....I commute over the Altamont every day, twice a day. Wanna know a fun fact? 580 all the way from Tracy to Pleasanton used to be that bad the whole freakin' way. They've repaved quite a bit over the last two years, which is nice. But I've replaced so many control arms on the BMWs from that commute it's not even funny....

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB

Yeah....I commute over the Altamont every day, twice a day. Wanna know a fun fact? 580 all the way from Tracy to Pleasanton used to be that bad the whole freakin' way. They've repaved quite a bit over the last two years, which is nice. But I've replaced so many control arms on the BMWs from that commute it's not even funny....

U should send the bill to caltrans!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users