Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR4 Waterpump - How to check for failure?

- - - - - LR4 Discovery water pump clamp loose drip drip drip

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

So, how does one check if the water pump on an LR4 is going out?  First, I've check for a coolant leak, I have one, but not attributed to this.  It's leaking from some hose clamps that were use to modify the lines to the rear of the vehicle during the tire and spacers modification two years ago.  Will look into this separately.

Secondly, there is a low rumble vibration at idle, that is intermittent, but I haven't determined where it's coming from yet.  Anyway, my goal is find out what this noise is and where it's coming from. 

Thanks,

Erin

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery
Mine just went out, started leaking from the front of it. Started off really slow then when leaving last month's DITD the reservoir was empty.

Not sure on a noise with these as it's definitely near other noisy elements.

I have learned that it is definitely an 85k mileage item give or take 5k miles.

So look at your mileage too, I was lucky and warranty covered it. Total cost was $1500.

TomOwen

TomOwen

-

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • Atherton, CA
  • KG6DHD
  • 1996 Discovery 1

Mine just went out, started leaking from the front of it. Started off really slow then when leaving last month's DITD the reservoir was empty.

So look at your mileage too, I was lucky and warranty covered it. Total cost was $1500.

Yup, while there are folks here that know for more than I on this, the old "weep the pour" is an initial indicator, which generally get's water in the bearings so it begins to make noise, vibrate, etc..  The only thing not mentioned is if you can "wiggle" the fan. Since it is mounted to the pump shaft, it could give you an indication of the bearings... 

Good luck Erin! 

• erinw.rrc likes this

:lr:
Tom Owen
NCLR Vice President

On a slow transition from Carpool to Trail with the help of this Club

Y2K Toyota Land Cruiser Series 100
; Cooper A/T3s, PacaSport, glitter, hair-bows, jolly ranchers and juice box stains...

@TomOwen

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

A failing bearing in the waterpump will cause a 'rumble' or 'grumble' sort of noise.  It's generally not intermittent though.  It will be easiest to hear from outside with the hood up and will change with engine speed.  The tough part is anything being turned by the belts could also be making that sort of noise (alternator, idler, air con pump, etc) so it's hard to isolate it.  I have a mechanic's stethoscope that helps but isn't 100%  The old-timer way to do it was to take a long screwdriver and place the end against the part you suspect and the hold the handle against your skull just behind the ear.  The noise makes a vibration that gets transmitted up the screwdriver and directly to your ear in the same sort of way a stethoscope does, just not as well.

Additionally, any bearing can make that sort of noise when failing.  Wheel bearings in particular are a common noise maker when they start to go.  They are often a little louder when turning one way to the other since you load each side a bit more when turning.  A wheel bearing will change noise with road speed and not make any difference with engine speed.

Another possible source could be a driveshaft.  Yet another is a differential.  Both of these would be road speed dependant instead of engine speed.

There's a lot of things it 'could' be, and without hearing it it's pretty much a guess.  Even if I do hear it sometimes it's still a guess!

(Here's where I'd like to think doctors are more precise than mechanics, but from what I've heard from some of them they too are just taking an educated guess far more often than you'd like to believe  :blink: )

• erinw.rrc likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

My truck has 53k miles and is out of warranty.  So this will an expensive fix if that's what it is. 

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Yup, while there are folks here that know for more than I on this, the old "weep the pour" is an initial indicator, which generally get's water in the bearings so it begins to make noise, vibrate, etc..  The only thing not mentioned is if you can "wiggle" the fan. Since it is mounted to the pump shaft, it could give you an indication of the bearings... 

Good luck Erin! 

I will check this when I get home.  Thanks Tom!

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

The old-timer way to do it was to take a long screwdriver and place the end against the part you suspect and the hold the handle against your skull just behind the ear.  The noise makes a vibration that gets transmitted up the screwdriver and directly to your ear in the same sort of way a stethoscope does, just not as well.

This sounds like the same tech used for those bone-conduction headphones that are for sale now.

Old tech becomes new tech....

• DHappel and erinw.rrc like this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

My truck has 53k miles and is out of warranty.  So this will an expensive fix if that's what it is. 

Erin,

I hear RoverWare.US can do them very cost effectively .... which engine do you have in that thing?

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Erin,

I hear RoverWare.US can do them very cost effectively .... which engine do you have in that thing?

Graeme

Graeme,

It is a 5.0L V8 Jag engine. However after troubleshooting with a coworker after work, we think the noise is coming from the rear of the truck. Still not sure what it is though. Might take it to Don's this weekend and see if we can figure it out. I will let you know if we need any parts.

Thank you!

Erin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
You can pick up a mechanics stethoscope from harbor freight. It's inexpensive and if you're not trying to use it all the time it will do just fine. You'll want to touch it to the case of each rotating piece like water pump, alternator, power steering pump, belt tensioner, ac compressor and any other Land Rover magical device being belt driven. The loudest one will be your culprit. Don't forget to check for debris fouling the fan like sticks and leaves and such and also take a look at your power steering reservoir level. It's likely something you can fix yourself.
  • erinw.rrc likes this

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

the sound is Lucas saying hello

• RedRover likes this

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Building a life journey one puzzle piece at a time

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

So my waterpump is fine... so far.  Leak turned out to be coming from the rear.  The hose was coming loose. 

• Rum_Ham likes this

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LR4, Discovery, water pump, clamp loose, drip drip drip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users