Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR4 / D4 - Intermittent failure, multiple codes thrown

- - - - - LR4 D4 Discovery electrical error code performance cruise control parking brake

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Ok, so... two days driving the LR4 with snorkel... having some "performance issue" notifications coming on.  Here is the list:

Performance Issue

Parking Brake

Stability Control

Cruise control fault

I think those are the four that come on.  It happened once on our way home from Don's.  Once yesterday on my to work and once today on my way to work.  On my way to work, it's happening in the same spot.  There is a small overpass I have to go over heading to Coleman Ave near the airport and as I come down to merge with other cars, the notifications come on the screen.  I'm thinking the higher elevation is causing too much airflow and confusing the computer?  Is that possible. 

Here is what I notice: the Parking brake still works, but haven't tested the cruise control.  I do feel like the truck loses traction.  Not sure how to explain it, but it goes from feeling grippy on the road to not so much when the stability light comes on. 

I plugged my IID tool in and the fault it finds is the Engine Control Module.  I cleared the faults and turned the car off.  Waited five minutes, turned it on and everything is back to normal. 

Any thoughts on what should I do.  Sounds like the sensors might need adjusting, but their are limitations to what can be done with the IID tool alone.

-Erin

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

alpaca

alpaca

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Hard to see how snorkel would do anything like that ... first place I'd check is battery voltage and alternator output ... random electrical faults like that can be caused by low voltage. Was any wiring disturbed in snorkel fitting , or did wiring get wet in the rain (check sunroof drains are doing their job) ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2006 RRS
2002 911

2003 E46
2008 C300

2015 Cherokee

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
Can I leave this here? Guess not ...

Edited by AlysonH, 14 February 2017 - 11:01 AM.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Ok, so... two days driving the LR4 with snorkel... having some "performance issue" notifications coming on.  Here is the list:

Performance Issue

Parking Brake

Stability Control

Cruise control fault

I think those are the four that come on.  It happened once on our way home from Don's.  Once yesterday on my to work and once today on my way to work.  On my way to work, it's happening in the same spot.  There is a small overpass I have to go over heading to Coleman Ave near the airport and as I come down to merge with other cars, the notifications come on the screen.  I'm thinking the higher elevation is causing too much airflow and confusing the computer?  Is that possible. 

Here is what I notice: the Parking brake still works, but haven't tested the cruise control.  I do feel like the truck loses traction.  Not sure how to explain it, but it goes from feeling grippy on the road to not so much when the stability light comes on. 

I plugged my IID tool in and the fault it finds is the Engine Control Module.  I cleared the faults and turned the car off.  Waited five minutes, turned it on and everything is back to normal. 

Any thoughts on what should I do.  Sounds like the sensors might need adjusting, but their are limitations to what can be done with the IID tool alone.

-Erin

Erin,

You probably drilled through the wiring loom that goes up the A-pillar .....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Hard to see how snorkel would do anything like that ... first place I'd check is battery voltage and alternator output ... random electrical faults like that can be caused by low voltage. Was any wiring disturbed in snorkel fitting , or did wiring get wet in the rain (check sunroof drains are doing their job) ?

No wiring involved other than unplugging the MAF sensor.  Battery though, we didn't unplug and probably should have.  However, it's new and I checked it with the IID tool.  Reads 14.2V.  The alternator is also new, as I had it replaced last year after my fun mud run. 

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Erin,

You probably drilled through the wiring loom that goes up the A-pillar .....

Graeme

Ah, didn't think of that... although no where in the instructions does it say anything about there being wiring in the A-pillar.  It doesn't make sense that they would have you drill into an area where there is wiring and not tell you about it. 

Also why would they put wiring in an area designed for extra strength in the event of an accident?

Edited by erinw.rrc, 14 February 2017 - 11:07 AM.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Ah, didn't think of that... although no where in the instructions does it say anything about there being wiring in the A-pillar.  It doesn't make sense that they would have you drill into an area where there is wiring and not tell you about it. 

Also why would they put wiring in an area designed for extra strength in the event of an accident?

Erin,

The only wiring that goes up there is the wiring to the computer that handles the stability control, the parking brake, the cruise control and engine performance issues .....

oh, hold on, wrong day ... it is Valentine's Day not "Poisson d'Avril" ....

Regards,

Graeme

• AlysonH, erinw.rrc and Rum_Ham like this

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Erin,

The only wiring that goes up there is the wiring to the computer that handles the stability control, the parking brake, the cruise control and engine performance issues .....

oh, hold on, wrong day ... it is Valentine's Day not "Poisson d'Avril" ....

Regards,

Graeme

Ok, so I just about passed out in my office... :huh:  :o  :mellow:  :lol:

• Rum_Ham likes this

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

Ok, so I just about passed out in my office... :huh:  :o  :mellow:  :lol:

Erin,

Seriously though, I was going to say that it sounds MAF related though, so you may want to check and put some contact grease on that.  Remember that a snorkel does 'choke' airflow a little, so some performance drop might be expected.  The rest is just because it is a LR and all of the other parts gang-up on you to give you a hard time.

Graeme

• AlysonH and Rum_Ham like this

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Erin,

Seriously though, I was going to say that it sounds MAF related though, so you may want to check and put some contact grease on that.  Remember that a snorkel does 'choke' airflow a little, so some performance drop might be expected.  The rest is just because it is a LR and all of the other parts gang-up on you to give you a hard time.

Graeme

That's what I was thinking.  Just wondering the best way to troubleshoot.  I was just telling Alyson that my truck is drunk (since my truck is called Jack Sparrow).  :lol:

• AlysonH likes this

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

In all seriousness, almost all cars do have wiring in the A-pillars for all the electrical items in your ceiling like lights, sunroofs, other controls. Not to mention they usually have drains for the sunroofs down the A-pillars as well. Hopefully it's not related, but it could make sense that you nicked a wire and it's shorting occasionally. 

Edit, does your car ever pop up with messages on the nav screen demanding more rum? :lol:

Edited by AdvRovr, 14 February 2017 - 11:46 AM.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

In all seriousness, almost all cars do have wiring in the A-pillars for all the electrical items in your ceiling like lights, sunroofs, other controls. Not to mention they usually have drains for the sunroofs down the A-pillars as well. Hopefully it's not related, but it could make sense that you nicked a wire and it's shorting occasionally. 

Edit, does your car ever pop up with messages on the nav screen demanding more rum? :lol:

How do I find out what wiring is in the A-pillar, if it has any?  What I don't understand is why they wouldn't have that in the instructions ANYWHERE.  Seems like a pretty important piece of information.

I'm pretty sure my truck is looking for a way to hide the rum... I'm onto him. 

Edited by erinw.rrc, 14 February 2017 - 11:48 AM.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0

How do I find out what wiring is in the A-pillar, if it has any?  What I don't understand is why they wouldn't have that in the instructions ANYWHERE.  Seems like a pretty important piece of information.

I'm pretty sure my truck is looking for a way to hide the rum... I'm onto him. 

It should be in the official repair manual. If you have a good relationship with your service adviser you may be able to get some answers there as well. Could also just remove the trim - usually removing A-pillar trim is very straightforward.

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

It should be in the official repair manual. If you have a good relationship with your service adviser you may be able to get some answers there as well. Could also just remove the trim - usually removing A-pillar trim is very straightforward.

I have a digital version of the shop manual.  I'm going to check right now... probably should have thought of that.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I love that my manual is 7400 pages and takes like a year to find anything in it.  Ugh.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

So, it's hard to tell because the manual is very complex, but whatever wiring harness goes through the pillar is pretty much connected to the door and most likely has to do with the lights and things like what Chad mentioned.  I'm not having any issues with lights, so that is good.  I still don't understand why they wouldn't be mentioned in the install instructions. 

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

So, it's hard to tell because the manual is very complex, but whatever wiring harness goes through the pillar is pretty much connected to the door and most likely has to do with the lights and things like what Chad mentioned.  I'm not having any issues with lights, so that is good.  I still don't understand why they wouldn't be mentioned in the install instructions. 

Erin,

The wiring will be on the vehicle inside of the pillar section (under plastic trim), so no chance you drilled into something ..... wish I hadn't mentioned it now ....

Graeme

• erinw.rrc likes this

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Erin,

The wiring will be on the vehicle inside of the pillar section (under plastic trim), so no chance you drilled into something ..... wish I hadn't mentioned it now ....

Graeme

You know how these things go...everyone has the answer!  I'm going to start by checking the MAF sensor and then the battery.  Any suggestions on how to get it to turn off permanently without having to take it to a shop?

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
Don't turn it on.
  • erinw.rrc likes this

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032
My guess is the MAF got dirty when you took the airbox out for plumbing. Who knows, someone may have dropped a slice of pepperoni in the airbox when it was opened. Ask Checkers. ;)
But, I'd suggest clean out the MAF with MAF cleaner. Reset any errors on the ECU. Then, drive around to see if problem comes back.
I have a can of MAF cleaner at home I can drop off. LMK.
  • KSuttle and Rum_Ham like this
Chris

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LR4, D4, Discovery, electrical, error code, performance, cruise control, parking brake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users