Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR4 / D4 - Intermittent failure, multiple codes thrown

- - - - - LR4 D4 Discovery electrical error code performance cruise control parking brake

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yes, it physically fits because the 3/4 share the same body.  But the engines, and more importantly the intake system, are totally different.  This is why nobody has marketed a snorkel kit of the 4.  I still think you'd have to design a cross-over so both sides would be fed by the snorkel but I don't think there's the room to make it breath correctly without doing some serious mods.

(look, I didn't write this on my phone so it actually reads like I wanted it to!)

• Rum_Ham likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
Does it make sense to fabricate a crossover or just rock dual snorkels?
  • Rum_Ham likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Nobody that I know makes a snorkel to fit the other side.  You'd need a mirror image of what she has now.

We could look into building a crossover of some type.  I'm sure it can be done, it's just a question of cost.

Don

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Nobody that I know makes a snorkel to fit the other side.  You'd need a mirror image of what she has now.

We could look into building a crossover of some type.  I'm sure it can be done, it's just a question of cost.

Don,

Which side is it currently on?

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

Rum_Ham

Rum_Ham

The Dude

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Napa, CA
  • '00 Disco- Oxford Blue

Does it make sense to fabricate a crossover or just rock dual snorkels?

I like this idea! 

Call me crazy, but kydex maybe your friend. It is pretty easy to work with and fairly inexpensive. With a little patience and effort you could make a crossover pipe or a snorkel for the driver side. 

Dave

CumxUOw.gif

Born ~ 1985...  Died ~ In your arms tonight...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Don,

Which side is it currently on?

Graeme

The passenger side.  

(at least on a 'murican rig)

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

So as far as I know, no one makes a LH side snorkel... besides even if they did, I'd want it want it to match.  With the snorkel turned around it's been running better, although I did get the faults last night because it was windy.  Hypothesis is it's happening during deceleration.  I have to come up with something because I can't keep driving it with the faults.  It requires me to stop, turn of the engine and restart in order to keep driving, otherwise the engine will stall and I just flood it when I hit the acceleration pedal. 

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

Rum_Ham

Rum_Ham

The Dude

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Napa, CA
  • '00 Disco- Oxford Blue

So as far as I know, no one makes a LH side snorkel... besides even if they did, I'd want it want it to match.  With the snorkel turned around it's been running better, although I did get the faults last night because it was windy.  Hypothesis is it's happening during deceleration.  I have to come up with something because I can't keep driving it with the faults.  It requires me to stop, turn of the engine and restart in order to keep driving, otherwise the engine will stall and I just flood it when I hit the acceleration pedal. 

You might consider inserting a secondary filter element somewhere in the snorkel. Restricting the air flow a little bit may solve your problem. The HKS style filters can be had for next to nothing. They are dry filters so no worries of the oily mess for your MAF sensor. Who knows, it may even work.

http://www.ebay.com/...s&ul_noapp=true

Dave

CumxUOw.gif

Born ~ 1985...  Died ~ In your arms tonight...

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Is it possible to remove the snorkel temporarily and return to factory air intake system and test for the same faults?

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Building a life journey one puzzle piece at a time

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

Is it possible to remove the snorkel temporarily and return to factory air intake system and test for the same faults?

Possibly.  I wonder if I'd have to change everything back, or if I can just take the snorkel off and put the side vent back on to test?

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

keep it simple, just remove the lower portion of the snorkel and reinstall the OEM vent

• DHappel likes this

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

I am curious here.  If mass flow related fault using snorkel, could this be related to design flow required for 4.4 liter vs increase required for 5.0 liter 

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I am curious here.  If mass flow related fault using snorkel, could this be related to design flow required for 4.4 liter vs increase required for 5.0 liter 

The current working theory is that the computers are freaking out over one MAF reading way different than the other.  I don't think a small restriction from the snorkel is itself causing a problem though it could result in a minor drop in performance/mpg if it's enough of a restriction.  

I like the idea of just removing the exterior part of the snorkel and snapping the vent back in as a temporary test.

Don

DiscoDavis

DiscoDavis

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • East Bay, CA
  • 2006 Discovery 3
  • 1995 Discovery
  • 1990 110

could you in theory remove one MAF and then rig the remaining one to send two signals, one for each wiring plug? That way you could force the system to accept two identical readings, whatever they might be. 

I never ever experienced an air flow issue with my old snorkel. 

:lr:

2006 Discovery 3(Build Thread)

1995 Discovery 

1990 110

Instagram: CondorDavis

23669857085_fe30f0934c.jpg

Gotrovr

Gotrovr

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

thought this youtube video might be helpful

Will

'05 LR3 HSE "Donkey"

'16 LR4 HSE  "Perseus"

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

UPDATE:  Removed the snorkel and returned the truck back to factory spec.  Safari confirmed it won't work with a NAS D4, ARB has updated their website and I had my truck fixed.  If you're thinking about putting a snorkel on your D4, don't.  Over and out.

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

So you got a new fender?  That sucks!

Don

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

So you got a new fender?  That sucks!

Yes.  Fortunately for me, ARB was very understanding, discussed a possible fix with Safari in Australia, and when one couldn't be found, they made things right.

• DHappel and Jethro like this

Erin W.
IMG_1172.JPG

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Yes.  Fortunately for me, ARB was very understanding, discussed a possible fix with Safari in Australia, and when one couldn't be found, they made things right.

Well that's a win then!

• Jethro likes this

Don

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LR4, D4, Discovery, electrical, error code, performance, cruise control, parking brake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users