Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Disco 1 Oil Pressure light on when idling

- - - - - Discovery D1 oil pressure idle

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

hey guys

Any advice on this?  I'm a new owner of a 99 Disco 1 with 180k plus miles.  Oil level is fine.  Engine temp never gets over 185, and usually stays in the 165-170 realm.  But recently the oil pressure light comes on in park and when idling in traffic.  I've taken to putting it in neutral and slightly raving the rpm's closer to 1000 when idling in traffic, and this makes the light go off.  

Thoughts?  

I plan on buying a oil pressure testing gauge asap and checking the actual pressure.  Other than that should I open up the oil pump and see if anything is cracked?  

Otherwise the truck drives fine.   The previous owner replaced every hose, gasket and belt under the hood, and added an after market engine temp/load sensor.

Thanks

• erinw.rrc likes this

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1
You're on the right track with installing an actual gauge. But my guess is excess bearing clearance. It's possible the pump is worn but I wouldn't bet on that as my first guess.

As a short term fix, look at what oil you are running. Consider going to 15w40 Delo 400 or Rotella. They are both hevey duty diesel oils but are a good option for an older Rover V8.

Edited by DHappel, 15 February 2017 - 11:14 AM.

• Rum_Ham likes this

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

Almost positive this is your Oil pump going bad. Inside of your timing cover is a built in oil pump. 

V871.jpg

Sometimes you can get away with replacing the gears (They tend to wear down) although most likely the best bet is get a new cover / pump and go that route.

I tried saving $$$$ and doing just the gears and ended up costing my d1's motor

• RedRover and Rum_Ham like this

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely swap to the heavy duty oil. And I just found the timing cover/oil pump for $400 new in FL vs. $600 new at the Marin dealer.  I can do this!

Jethro

Jethro

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Roseville
  • KK6ZBT
  • '11 LR4
  • '96 Discovery

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely swap to the heavy duty oil. And I just found the timing cover/oil pump for $400 new in FL vs. $600 new at the Marin dealer. I can do this!

I'd look at Rock Auto and Amazon too, they have good prices occasionally.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely swap to the heavy duty oil. And I just found the timing cover/oil pump for $400 new in FL vs. $600 new at the Marin dealer.  I can do this!

Try checking the pressure first, as the oil pressure switch can also fail (i.e. operate at too low pressure).  I believe they are 4-8lbs.  These V8s don't need much pressure, as long as the oil is circulating everywhere.

Graeme

• Jethro and Rum_Ham like this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Try checking the pressure first, as the oil pressure switch can also fail (i.e. operate at too low pressure).  I believe they are 4-8lbs.  These V8s don't need much pressure, as long as the oil is circulating everywhere.

Graeme

Trust the Old Hooligan.  The force is strong with him.

Don

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

Well damn if bad didn't go to worse yesterday.  So for roughly five days the oil light came on when idling, and I would quickly shift into neutral and rev to 1k and the light would flicker off... At the time I ordered a new timing cover/oil pump and seal, and changed the very black gold to heavy weight Rotella.  Yesterday the light stayed on, and the initial engine ticking stayed around , and got louder within a minute, and became a clacking and I quickly pulled her over and called a tow.  Bummed.   Besa Motors here in Oakland suspects the main bearings not the pump, we'll see... but I do have the new pump now in hand if need be.  I'll keep ya'll informed.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Well that's a tough deal.  The noises going from ticking to clacking, etc in particular.

It sounds like you didn't get a chance to verify the actual pressure with a separate gauge.  My guess from your description is the pressure was indeed low, and has now led to internal damage like a spun bearing.  It may be I'm wrong, especially as diagnosing noises by written description is the very definition of WAG though, so don't loose hope!  It could be as simple as replacing the pump, with the noises just being lifters collapsing due to low pressure.  If that's the case you're not going to be out much more than the labor to swap the pump.

On the other hand, worst case is the low pressure (either due to the pump or excess main bearing clearance) has caused a main or rod bearing to seize and spin, requiring a full bottom end rebuild.  

In my experience with engines in general (not Rover V8s in particular) your initial flickering light would most likely have been excessive main bearing clearance.  If that was the case you would have been on borrowed time anyway; heavier oil or the like might have kept you up and running for a while but would have really been a band-aid until you could pull the bottom end and do a rebuild.  So driving on this last week may have done little more damage than was already there anyway.

Keep in touch and let us know what you discover.  Also keep in touch with Graeme as Roverware may be able to help you out on parts.  

Don

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

So, small update. The timing cover I bought is the wrong part... DOH!  Part was for a Disco 2.  Not as smart as I think I am.   Turns out the one for my truck is obsolete, says LR and endless google searches. Not giving up, I'll find one.  In the mean time the pump gears are being replaced.  The shop said there was no evidence of bearing wear, no metal shavings in the oil... so that's good news at least.  

That said... they have my fresh oil, not the black gold I drained out of her before the SHTF.  Time to go fishing with a magnet on a string...

Edited by seldomwright, 28 February 2017 - 05:50 PM.

seldomwright

seldomwright

Seldomwright

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • oakland
  • Lifted 99 Disco 1

So I got my truck back today. Feels good.  

The shop replaced the gears in the oil pump, but said the old ones were not actually cracked, just worn.  They said the cover plate might have been an issue, because the screws holding it on were super loose.  Whatever it was it caused a complete loss of oil pressure.

Could have been much worse.  Good for now. 

Thanks for all the advice!

• Jethro likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discovery, D1, oil pressure, idle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users