Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

LR3 Leaking in California Storms

- - - - - water leak lr3 storm

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

First of all - I've re-upped our membership and hope to join y'all soon on a trip. The Suttle Shuttle hasn't seen true off-road in a few years now.  But on to my issue at hand.

My 2005 LR3 is collecting interior water primarily in:

• The front passenger footwell
  • The door sills under the trim (where wiring harnesses are)
  • The seatbelt roll/retractor in b-pillar is soaked

I have already checked/replaced the following
  • replaced failed driver side 90 degree drain connected in the footwell (about 1.5 years ago when I had a water crossing INSIDE my Rover)
  • all 4 sunroof drain tubes clearly evacuate water from the sunroof tray (I can pour cups of water in the tray and it evacuates from all 4 tubes rapidly without water build-up in vehicle)
  • the cabin/pollen filter & blower area behind the glovebox is completely dry, so no apparent windscreen cowl issue 
  • zero leaking from the headliner anywhere that I can feel/detect
  • have ordered the A-piller exterior trim repair kit just in case

Any other ideas where this water could be coming from?  What seems really weird to me is the fact that the seatbelt at the retractor (in the b-pillar) is literally soaking wet.  Could the roof rails be leaking?

-Kevin

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"His" - 2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Safari Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
"Hers" - 2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Roof Rack

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

First of all - I've re-upped our membership and hope to join y'all soon on a trip. The Suttle Shuttle hasn't seen true off-road in a few years now.  But on to my issue at hand.

My 2005 LR3 is collecting interior water primarily in:

• The front passenger footwell
  • The door sills under the trim (where wiring harnesses are)
  • The seatbelt roll/retractor in b-pillar is soaked

I have already checked/replaced the following
  • replaced failed driver side 90 degree drain connected in the footwell (about 1.5 years ago when I had a water crossing INSIDE my Rover)
  • all 4 sunroof drain tubes clearly evacuate water from the sunroof tray (I can pour cups of water in the tray and it evacuates from all 4 tubes rapidly without water build-up in vehicle)
  • the cabin/pollen filter & blower area behind the glovebox is completely dry, so no apparent windscreen cowl issue 
  • zero leaking from the headliner anywhere that I can feel/detect
  • have ordered the A-piller exterior trim repair kit just in case

Any other ideas where this water could be coming from?  What seems really weird to me is the fact that the seatbelt at the retractor (in the b-pillar) is literally soaking wet.  Could the roof rails be leaking?

-Kevin

Kevin,

Good to hear from you again .... it has been a while.

Is it rain water or aircon condensate?  Both will be worse after rain.  The b-pillar would indicate rain not aircon, but the rest could be either.

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

Timbo

Timbo

Driver

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • El Dorado Hills, CA
  • 1994 Range Rover LWB
How about the doors themselves?

On different cars (not lr3) I've had multiple issues with the sealant failing on the vapor barrier behind the door card, and it letting water in soaking the footwells

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

UPDATE

Thanks Graeme - it is not air-con condensate.  I should have mentioned that I checked that too.

I poured water over the roof rails and BAZINGA...water flowing down the b-pillar.  I've pulled the roof rack and rails.  I found plastic washers and what appears to be cracked sealant/caulking of some sort around the nuts welded to the roof - it is under the layer of body paint and clear coat...so it is something from the factory. The material is relatively soft...so I'm thinking its not the weld itself but some sort of sealant that's cracked over the course of 12 years.

I'm going to clean it all up, dry it with a blow dryer, apply my own caulk and put it all back together again before the rain starts up to see how it does.

Edited by KSuttle, 18 February 2017 - 01:26 PM.

• RedRover and Jethro like this

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"His" - 2005 LR3 aka "The StormTrooper" - Coil Suspension, Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18's, RS Stage 1 Sliders, Safari Snorkel, Hannibal Roof Rack
"Hers" - 2007 LR3 SE7 aka "The Adventurer" - BFG 265/65R18's, RS Stage 3 Sliders, ARB Deluxe Winch Bull Bar, BajaRack RTT Roof Rack

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

UPDATE

Thanks Graeme - it is not air-con condensate.  I should have mentioned that I checked that too.

I poured water over the roof rails and BAZINGA...water flowing down the b-pillar.  I've pulled the roof rack and rails.  I found plastic washers and what appears to be cracked sealant/caulking of some sort around the nuts welded to the roof - it is under the layer of body paint and clear coat...so it is something from the factory. The material is relatively soft...so I'm thinking its not the weld itself but some sort of sealant that's cracked over the course of 12 years.

I'm going to clean it all up, dry it with a blow dryer, apply my own caulk and put it all back together again before the rain starts up to see how it does.

Kevin,

Glad you seem to have found it.  10-12 years is about when caulking, plastic and rubber parts start to complain about their age, so we'll see more LR3 owners with leaks ....

Regards,

Graeme

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Work is done for the day. Now we wait to see what happens in the next storm.

Here are some pictures of what I found (not sure why this forum software is rotating them):

The roof rail on my other LR3 has little caps over the screw holes...this LR3 does not.

Attached File  IMG_8495-2.JPG   84.68KB   7 downloads

You can see the cracked stuff (sealant?)

Attached File  IMG_8497.JPG   94.94KB   7 downloads

You can see more cracked stuff (sealant?)

Attached File  IMG_8499-2.JPG   105.64KB   7 downloads

Everything apart...

Attached File  IMG_8501.JPG   100.59KB   7 downloads

Edited by KSuttle, 18 February 2017 - 07:09 PM.

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Good news and fingers crossed...as of 7:30am, no leaking after last night's rain.

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Interesting -- thanks for sharing the photos as it helps visualize what you were describing.  Certainly looks like factory sealant that's starting to crack badly.  Good luck with your fix!

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

I have similar cracks on my D90 rain gutter... and others suggests cracks like that allow water to seep through. 

Others suggest best thing to do is to clean them out/well with alcohol, apply body seam sealers (not silicon nor RTV) to fill these cracks, then paint over them.

Chris

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts

I have similar cracks on my D90 rain gutter... and others suggests cracks like that allow water to seep through. 

Others suggest best thing to do is to clean them out/well with alcohol, apply body seam sealers (not silicon nor RTV) to fill these cracks, then paint over them.

On a D90 there are usually larger holes in the floor, to let the water out .....

Graeme

• dcproven, JFuller, AlysonH and 2 others like this

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

Good to hear from you Kevin. Hope it is sealed up. Will check our LR3 soon. thankfully, we park it in a garage overnight, but the A pillar blew off on the freeway last week in the storm!

2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Good to hear from you Kevin. Hope it is sealed up. Will check our LR3 soon. thankfully, we park it in a garage overnight, but the A pillar blew off on the freeway last week in the storm!

Ha!  I had the same thing happen in Sedona a couple years ago!  It was the driver's side and only let go partially so I was able to stick my hand out the window and hold it in place until I stopped by a dealer and picked up a new one.  I found mine had some of the mounting tabs previously broken and replaced by double-stick tape.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,401 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

On a D90 there are usually larger holes in the floor, to let the water out .....

Graeme

There you go again, Graeme -- waxing poetic about the revered Defender, but you fail to acknowledge that many Rovers in the stable are offered that very same option.

RRCs also come with the large (and auto-sizing) water drainage system:

Attached File  rrc_floorpan_rust.jpg   102.77KB   4 downloads

I've heard the feature is quite prevalent in the UK.

• DHappel and Rum_Ham like this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3
So I'm having a similar issue. My driver side floor board is getting soaked when I drive in the rain. I messed up when installing my sliders and cut a piece of the plastic wheel well on that side off. Not sure if that would cause the problem though.

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Unlikely to be slider/wheel well related.  My first bet is always sunroof drains, though it's worth looking into the roof rack mounts as above.

Don

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
With things like RTT's and jerry cans during overland adventures I'm sure those rails got torqued a lot.

One of the original torx screws was sheared off by the previous owner and replaced with a hex bolt. I also noticed on inspection that one of the torx screws ripped through the bottom of the rail.

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BEAR

BEAR

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  • Concord
  • 2006 LR3

Unlikely to be slider/wheel well related.  My first bet is always sunroof drains, though it's worth looking into the roof rack mounts as above.

Well I've had my sunroof drains clogged before and water was leaking out of the dome light in the front. I guess the clog could be lower but there's a lot of water that gets in there.

Concord CA,
2006 LR3 SE with HD
Baja Rack, Gap EAS IID tool, LEDramized 40" light bar and work lights, BFG TA/KO tires, ARB Fridge Freezer, Front Runner Drawers, PowerTank 20lbs Co2 tank, Front Runner Rear Ladder, Traxide duel battery kit. Tactical Rovers Sliders and Rear Bumper

On Instagram @ bear_republic_overland
"waiting for an adventure"

SmugMug https://nclrbear.smugmug.com/

Instagram https://www.instagra...ublic_overland/

IMG_1224-S.jpg

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Do a search on any of the popular Rover forums for LR3 sunroof drains and you can find pics.  Basically the drain comes down the A pillar and through a junction at the firewall.  Sometimes that junction will fail, letting water get into the passenger side footwell and soak the carpet and wiring looms.  Usually the culprit is the very end of the tube back behind the fender vent getting clogged and backing water up.  You can just snip the end off to keep it clear, but often the vent breaks one or two of it's mounting tabs when you remove it.

• BEAR likes this

Don

KSuttle

KSuttle

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Leaking again. Roof rails solved the b pillar leak, but I've still got water coming in slightly under the drivers and passenger's carpet. Waiting for the dealer to get the a pillar cover repair kit in stock.

I don't think it's the cowl as there is no water in the pollen filter or blower.

Kevin Suttle
KJ6IBK

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The cowl doesn't usually cause water inside, more likely to cause issues with the wiring behind the battery.  I think that may be the control module for the transfer case?  Can't recall right off.

I know you found the joint where the sunroof drain goes through the firewall rotted and replaced it.  Did you also clear out the end of the drain behind the fender vent?  That's the most common source for a wet carpet.

Don

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water leak, lr3, storm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users