Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Thinking of buying a roof top tent, awning or ground tent?

- - - - - roof top tent tent awning foxwing

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

Thinking of buying a roof top tent, awning or ground tent similar to an Oz tent? Don't purchase one yet!

Nick and I are starting up a business selling tents and awnings for the overlanding crowd. We have enjoyed our roof top tents, but wanted to make improvements based on our overlanding experiences. This desire has morphed into a business project focusing on roof top tents, awnings, and quick set-up ground tents similar to an Oz tent. We are making some design changes and improvements to the tents to make overlanding comfortable and convenient. We were impressed with the quality of the first batch of tents and are moving forward with the business.

Roof top tents offer a lot of benefits including getting off the ground away from critters, foam mattress, quick set-up, storing sleeping gear inside and very convenient with overlanding.

A few gripes from tents we have owned, include thin mattresses, tent cover difficult to zip, limited storage room when closed, ladders hurting feet, overall weight, pesky spring rod set-up.

Some of our improvements:

• higher density foam mattress (3 inches vs 2.5 inches)
  • taller cover to ease installation and allow more storage of gear inside the tent
  • cover to allow ladder extension to fit
  • completely new tent design to allow open space at the front and back of the tent not requiring spring rods for side windows
  • taller sliding ladder (telescoping ladder hurts feet and is finicky)
  • improved air flow
  • extra long roof top tent allowing a 6 footer to sleep sideways
  • cover straps with double d-rings that are more secure

We will be offering 3 different tents in 2 sizes. One design will be new to the market and allow ample airflow without requiring side spring rods that are difficult to install and will be available in 1.4 meters (56 inches) or 2 meter (78 inches). The other style will be similar to other tents on the market including skylights and an overhang where an annex can be installed.

We will also be offering 2 sizes of quick set-up ground tents that are similar in style to an Oz tent but with an improved rain fly. Tents will come in 2 meters and 2.5 meter lengths.

For awnings, we will be offering a foxwing type awning that rotates 270 degrees and includes rigid poles under the canvas that the current foxwing awning does not have. This improves rigidity of the awning and does not require the canvas to be staked to the ground. Sizes include 2 meter and 2.5 meter lengths and walls can be attached to create a full enclosure around the awning. We will also offer a simple square awning in 1.4 meter (56 in), 2 meter (78 in) and 2.5 meter (98 in) length.

We are still kicking things off, but are excited about the products and quality of the tents and awnings. Progress has started on our first order and should arrive by May. We will be offering products at a reasonable price but are not willing to compromise on quality.

Of course, we plan to give a discount to NCLR members and are confident you will enjoy our products.

Check out a few pics of the test batch at OverlandPros.com but remember, the colors and styles will be different and improved.

If you are interested in pre-ordering a roof top tent, ground tent or awning, please pm me (TEDS) or Nick (NDAMICO) for a substantial discount before they arrive in May and more details. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by Teds, 22 February 2017 - 06:30 PM.

• Justin, dcproven, AA Journey and 4 others like this
2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s
2006 LR3 SE - ARB bumper with Superwinch EP9, roof rack, Sasquatch Rods

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

Congrats on your new endeavor!

Chris

JFuller

JFuller

NCLR Guest

• NCLR Guest
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

I have a ground tent prototype from this company and am very pleased with it.  I have used it for a couple of nights already and look forward to more comfortable nights.  

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Congratulations Nick and Ted!  I hope you're very successful on your new business.  Timing is bad for me, I just bought an Oztent before the January Mojave trip.  :(

• PaulD likes this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Need Pricing ;)

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

ndamico

ndamico

KK6TBF

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • KK6TBF
  • 2010 LR4
  • 1995 RRC LWB

thanks guys!

• erinw.rrc likes this

Nick

2010 LR4 HSE-Lux/HD. Compos w/ Toyo Open County AT2 265/65R18, IIDTool, Baja Rack.

1995 RRC LWB.  3" RTE Lift/Bumpers, 7100SB Shocks, 255x85R16 Toyo MT's, Mantec Snorkel, Ashcroft Lockers/Axles/CV's/4.12 Gears, GBR Driveshafts & Thrust Bolts, LT230, QT Diff Guards, Voyager Rack, Winch, Sliders, Dual Batteries, ARB Twin Compressor, Kenwood D710G HAM Radio, Xantrex Inverter, Swing Away & Sliders.

My Rover Pics

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
Maybe you guys can come to a MORG or something where more members can see what your tents look like.
  • RedRover, erinw.rrc and lithium1330 like this

DiscoChef

DiscoChef

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • KI6QBY
  • !998 D1
  • '06 LR3
  • '63 109 2A Regular
  • 95 LWB Sold
  • 95 LWB, '67 109

Much success on your new venture!

Pricing on the new 270° awning ?

Enrique
KI6QBY

NCLR #10 Current Director & Founding Member
1962 Series IIA Reg. Waiting to be restored :(

1967 Series IIA Two Door Pick Up, Daily Driver
1992 RRC SOLD
1995 LWB SOLD
1995 LWB RubiconReady, SOLD
1998 D1, 4.6 Relocated to KY 

1998 D1 Arles Blue. Dismantled 
06 LR3 HSE ARB bumper with Warn Winch

1992 SWB Da Yeti. Dusy Ready

lithium1330

lithium1330

NCLR BOD Member

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • San Jose
  • KM6FDG
  • Defender 90 NAS #0032

I would be interested in pricing for ground tent that can accommodate 2 - 3 people. Thanks!

Chris

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

please PM me for pricing info. we will be giving a big discount if you pre-order before May.

2001 Range Rover SE - SD rack, Warn XD9000CE, front axle guard, steering guard, sliders, ladder, coils, 33in KM2s

dcproven

dcproven

David (NCLR082)

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • KK6NDY
  • 1995 LWB RRC
  • 1977 Series III

I did, did you get my PM?

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

PMs responded to. Hopefully we made a few sales already! Take advantage of our pre-order pricing before the shipment arrives. In addition, we have a few sample tents for sale if you are interested.

Posted a few more pics of the tents on Overland Pros.com. The main difference will be colors as we are going to gray tent with light gray fly on the Anza style and a dark green for the Mojave style that has an overhang. Ground tents and awnings will be gray as well.

We are also getting a few samples of 12v fridges when the tents arrive, both single zone and dual freezer/fridge stainless similar to a National Luna. We will be evaluating them testing draw, capacity and pushing their limits in the field before selling to the public.

• dcproven, PaulD, erinw.rrc and 1 other like this

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer
Container has landed in Oakland! We are excited as the products should be in Sacramento next week and we can start shipping soon. Our pre-shipment pricing is ending in a week, so please let me know if you are interested. We will honor any inquiry up to next week, you dont have to pay now. Our 270 degree awnings are selling well!

Once here, we will be posting new pictures, videos walk through some and customer testimonials. The new colors of the awnings and Anza roof top tents are gray and the Mojave Explorer with the overhang is a dark green.
  • ROVRMAN2, AA Journey, RedRover and 1 other like this

Justin

Justin

NCLR Marketing Director

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Sacramento, CA
  • 1991 Range Rover GDE
  • retired-1996 Discovery
  • sold-2001 Range Rover

Container has landed in Oakland! We are excited as the products should be in Sacramento next week and we can start shipping soon. Our pre-shipment pricing is ending in a week, so please let me know if you are interested. We will honor any inquiry up to next week, you dont have to pay now. Our 270 degree awnings are selling well!

Once here, we will be posting new pictures, videos walk through some and customer testimonials. The new colors of the awnings and Anza roof top tents are gray and the Mojave Explorer with the overhang is a dark green.

I'll take an awning, Saw it in person and knew I had to have one

• RedRover and Jethro like this

hinesdisco2

hinesdisco2

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Hollister,CA
  • 2003 Discovery 2
Cool news and congrats. I'm in the market for two awnings and will check them out online

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erinw.rrc

erinw.rrc

NCLR President

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Santa Clara
  • KA6DSC
  • 2012 D4 HSE
  • 1992 RRC aka RedRover

I'm interested in checking out the awnings.

Erin W.
"Jack Sparrow" 2012 Ipanema Sand LR4 HSE LUX; 18" LR3 Wheels, Johnson Rods, 30mm spacers, LT275/65R18 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Baja Rack, Custom rear Kaymar bumper, factory Warn Winch kit for LR4, factory brush guard, Iron Man rear light, Hi-lift jack (recently mounted :D)
IMG_1172.JPG

RedRover

RedRover

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Web Administrator
  • 3,398 posts
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • KJ6MQI
  • 1992 Range Rover Classic
  • 2012 Range Rover
  • 2012 Land Rover LR4

Checking out the awnings seems to be the thing to do, so I shall do it as well.

• Justin likes this

Jared (KJ6MQI)
1992 Range Rover Classic - Portofino Red
2012 Range Rover HSE - Santorini Black

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
I wouldn't mind seeing the bat wing awning in person. I'm interested in seeing how it folds up and the profile on the rack.

gurka

gurka

Navigator

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • SFO
Plan to drop in next Saturday for the 1.4 RTT as we discussed over the phone. Will likely take an awning also while I'm there. What time and where can I meet you next Saturday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teds

Teds

WJ6SPK

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 2001 Range Rover
  • 2006 LR3
  • 2009 M1101 trailer

Awesome! The awnings are great and I can set it up solo, but with 2 people it is quite easy. Please contact me or Nick directly and we can coordinate.

We plan on putting up some videos soon to show how they are set-up and broken down. 

We also have 'square' awnings if someone doesn't like the 270 degree awnings,  but they aren't on the website yet.

You can see some posts of the new tents on our instagram page, OverlandPros.

@gurka, I think you are coordinating with Nick. Please let us know in advance which size awning you are interested in, as the warehouse is not close to where either of us live.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roof top tent, tent, awning, foxwing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users