Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tire question

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE
10 PLY or 8 PLY

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
Wow I haven't seen toilet paper sold that thick. Where are you shopping??

Just kidding . I think the majority of off road tires are 10 - 14 ply rating. Thanks to my coach Brenton and the tire class we had a couple weeks back.

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE
Ok I figured. I have 10ply on the discovery but want to get tires for the Range Rover but they only have 8 PLY in stock and have to wait 2 weeks before I can order 10 PLY

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Wow I haven't seen toilet paper sold that thick. Where are you shopping??

Just kidding . I think the majority of off road tires are 10 - 14 ply rating. Thanks to my coach Brenton and the tire class we had a couple weeks back.

Alyson,

Fire your coach ....

Ply ratings are historical (they don't really have those number of actual plies).  6 ply is a load range C, 8 ply a load range D, 10 ply a load range E.  12 or 14 ply would be for trucks!

The real answer is, "What vehicle and what are you using it for?  Plus, what load is in the vehicle?

Most true off-road (crawlers, etc.) tires are load range C.  In fact, it is hard to get an LT flotation tire in anything above C rating.  Many people use a P-metric (or Euro-metric) tire that equates to the same size to gain an E rating tire (for heavier LR vehicles, or heavily laden LR vehicles).

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

AlysonH

AlysonH

NCLR Secretary

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • San Jose
  • KJ6MIO
  • 2003 DII (weekend)
  • 2012 Range Rover (work)
I know they aren't actual plys and that it has more to do with load rating. A 10 ply rated tire has only 3 plys

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE

Alyson,

Fire your coach ....

Ply ratings are historical (they don't really have those number of actual plies). 6 ply is a load range C, 8 ply a load range D, 10 ply a load range E. 12 or 14 ply would be for trucks!

The real answer is, "What vehicle and what are you using it for? Plus, what load is in the vehicle?

Most true off-road (crawlers, etc.) tires are load range C. In fact, it is hard to get an LT flotation tire in anything above C rating. Many people use a P-metric (or Euro-metric) tire that equates to the same size to gain an E rating tire (for heavier LR vehicles, or heavily laden LR vehicles).

Regards,

Graeme

So we're talking about a 88 ranger rover. Looking at just minor build. 2" lift, HD bumper, winch, maybe a rack. Just a trail rig to beat up. You could vouch that load range D would be sufficient?

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Graeme beat me to it - as soon as I say the old 'ply' designation I was working up a lecture in my head...

As to the RR, I would agree a D would be fine for that application.  It would vary somewhat based on the specific tire but there should be no need for the extra capacity of an E.  In theory an E might be a bit tougher than a D or C, but again you need to largely consider the weight of the vehicle.  An E would be heavier and stiffer which would impact mileage and wear on suspension/steering components as well as possibly limiting sidewall flex on the trail and causing a harsher ride on the road.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE
My biggest fear is one day saying "jeeze I should have gotten E instead". How does that factor go into play regarding punchers. Last OctR fest we exp two Lr3 getting sidewall punchers. Think Graeme was one of them? If I can get a solid answer I may just purchase the D as I am tooooooooooo anxious to wait...

What does everyone else run?

Just comment with the letter. I'm curious on what everyone else runs. No need to explain why.

NThyrring

NThyrring

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • 2007 LR3
  • 2013 Range Rover Sport

My biggest fear is one day saying "jeeze I should have gotten E instead". Last OctR fest we exp two Lr3 getting sidewall punchers.

I was one.

I have punctured three side walls on my present tires.

Attached Files

Thank you,

Nils

2007 LR3
2013 Range Rover Sport

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Tire brand/model, pressure, terrain, and driving style have at least as much if not more (much more) to do with sidewall failures than just load rating.   Load rating is not a direct indicator of sidewall durability, it's literally based on the tire's ability to carry a given weight at a certain pressure.  

I run E rated tires on my LR3 because she's heavy.  REALLY heavy.  Like 7500 lbs when loaded.  If I were to run that same tire on a 4500 lb rig it would be a poor fit since the tire wouldn't flex much.  Additionally comparing an LR3 (or other late-model Rover) to an RRC or Disco is apples to oranges as you typically see low profile tires on the late model stuff due to running larger wheels (18"+) to clear the brakes and the limited wheel well clearance.  

In short, I wouldn't suggest an E rated tire for an RRC.  D should be more than adequate for the weight of the vehicle.

As for sidewall durability, some tires are stronger than others.  That's a whole different thread!  Do you have a specific tire in mind?

Edited by DHappel, 03 March 2017 - 12:53 AM.

Don

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE
Don, thanks for the info. It's making more sense now. I read a good write up on 4wheels websites. You sum it up very well tho. I'm well I'm looking at a couple different sets, but I think I may go treadwright again.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
It's worth mentioning, E Range tires are designated for 3750# each. Unless you're loading the RRC with lead bars, you're not getting anywhere close to that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

FOR SALE: Built 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 2006 BMW 330i 6MT 

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

It's worth mentioning, E Range tires are designated for 3750# each. Unless you're loading the RRC with lead bars, you're not getting anywhere close to that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chad,

Ahhhh, about that ....

I heard a RRC was used as the getaway vehicle ....

http://www.bbc.com/n...entral-38676519

Regards,

Graeme

• AdvRovr likes this

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible
other assorted British pot metal ...

SLOHybrid

SLOHybrid

Driver

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • SLO
  • 95 RRC 25th 4.6
  • 04 L322
  • 87 RRC
  • 94 4.6 RRC LWB CRAWLER

Speaking of I will have a set of 265/75/16 Good year Duratracs for sale  ... bought last year before the Annual and probably have 1000 miles on them.  $650 obo.

Edited by SLOHybrid, 03 March 2017 - 11:17 AM.

NCLR 093

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JqczzhsWOh8

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,084 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

The Treadwrights are interesting as you can specify the tire carcass you want them built on.  You might request tread pattern 'X' on a BFG KO for example.  At least I think they still do that.

What size are you looking at, and what pattern?

Edited by DHappel, 03 March 2017 - 08:27 PM.

Don

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE
Guard Dog MT. I'm not sure they do that anymore. They are having trouble keeping tires on stock. Maybe just slow production. But then I've never asked. So far the tires on the discovery are in great shape. Had them almost a year now and I'm quite satisfied

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users