Welcome to NCLR - Northern California Land Rover Club
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Smog test

- - - - - Range Rover RRC smog O2 sensor catalytic converter

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE
0 compression in Cylinder #6. Ima finish an post the rest in a second.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Graeme, where would one find the OBD2 port on a 1988 vehicle?

You could use an inline spark tester that will show when firing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I thought this was a 1998 D1 ? .... Maybe that was another thread ....

Graeme

Graeme Ware -- San Carlos, CA

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,
other assorted British pot metal ...

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE

I thought this was a 1998 D1 ? .... Maybe that was another thread ....

Graeme

I do also own a 98 D1

Well guess the engine is just no bueno.
Results;

Cylinder 2: ~142
Cylinder 4: ~144
Cylinder 6: 0
Cylinder 8: 0
Cylinder 7: ~135
Cylinder 5: ~136
Cylinder 3: ~136
Cylinder 1: ~150

What to do now? Drive the rover off the Golden Gate Bridge? Kinda bummed out.

AdvRovr

AdvRovr

NCLR Treasurer

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Lathrop
  • K6ADV
  • 97 Range Rover 4.0
Having two cylinders right next to each other with no compression makes me think head gasket failure right near them.

If it's still running well enough to drive, I wonder if you could plug the fuel source to those two cylinders just to get it to pass smog, then work on the HG in your own time.... 🤔

Chad // Instagram: @AdvRovr
2009 Range Rover Sport // 2007 Mercedes GL320 Diesel // 2001 BMW 330Ci // 1996 Triumph Tiger 900

"Can you make it work?" - "Made by the English...let's not get our hopes up."

astateofmike

astateofmike

Traveling at the Speed of Adventure

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts
  • 1988 Range Rover Classic
  • NCLR 004
1988? And now the vultures start to circle.....i have an 1988...

Just enjoying my time traveling at the Speed of Adventure.

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE

Having two cylinders right next to each other with no compression makes me think head gasket failure right near them.

If it's still running well enough to drive, I wonder if you could plug the fuel source to those two cylinders just to get it to pass smog, then work on the HG in your own time.... 🤔

Do you mean unplug? Is this something you think can really be done? I have a friend who does smogs and can run a precheck. But I'm just curious if I should invest into it? Since I would need to get the cats first

Edited by Lauroness, 07 March 2017 - 07:09 PM.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Do you mean unplug? Is this something you think can really be done? I have a friend who does smogs and can run a precheck. But I'm just curious if I should invest into it? Since I would need to get the cats first

Just unplug the two injectors (there is a little wire clip to lift, and off they come).  I think the 35mph (or whatever it was) was the first clue ....

And becuase you don't have to have a rolling road (dyno) check for a 4WD this will probably work to get through smog.

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 07 March 2017 - 09:08 PM.

1990 Range Rover Classic - LT230 Transfer box, Warn winch, 2" lift, 235/85-16 Dunlop MUD Rovers, "Blue Submarine"
1996 Discovery 1 (R380 Manual Transmission, Ashcroft under-drive, RoverWare rear bumper, 33x12.5-15 BFG ATs) -- we call her "Katrina" -- Fordyce 7.5 mile survivor
1999 Discovery 2 (D1 CDL Linkage, 265/75-16 BFG A/T KO, RoverWare front and rear bumper)
1993 Jaguar XJS convertible; 1971 Triumph GT6; 1959 Morris Minor convertible, Tesla Model 3,

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

Certainly sounds like you've lost a head gasket.  As for pulling the injectors to get through smog, It might work, or you could just non-op it and work on it at your leisure as well.  

As for a fix, the top end is coming apart at the least.  You're pretty mechanical as I recall so I'm betting you can handle it but it's not a quick afternoon job.  Or you could look for a different motor to swap in.  I can never keep track of the differences between the various iterations of the basic Rover V8, but you could probably drop in a 3.9/,4.0, or 4.2 pretty reasonably and pick up some power.

Don
'07 LR3 HSE/HD - slightly non-stock

'96 D1 - even more non-stock

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE

Just unplug the two injectors (there is a little wire clip to lift, and off they come). I think the 35mph (or whatever it was) was the first clue ....

And becuase you don't have to have a rolling road (dyno) check for a 4WD this will probably work to get through smog.

Graeme

I might just have to. As for the low comp. Graeme, you believe I those to pistons are a result of a bad head gaskets. I guess replacing it doesn't hurt right.

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

1988? And now the vultures start to circle.....i have an 1988...

...and I have it's twin which is also due for a smog test

Don

DHappel

DHappel

NCLR Trip Ambassador

• NCLR BOD Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts
  • Walnut Grove, CA
  • KK6TBH
  • '07 LR3 with stuff
  • '96 D1 Roadster
  • '94 RRC
  • '96 D1

I might just have to. As for the low comp. Graeme, you believe I those to pistons are a result of a bad head gaskets. I guess replacing it doesn't hurt right.

2 adjacent cylinders with 0 compression is almost always a failed gasket between them.  The question is what else you might find when you open it up.  Also as mentioned earlier you may have killed the cats depending on how long the cylinders have been dead.

Don

JFuller

JFuller

Rover

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts
Just did head gaskets on my 4.6. Get the parts from RoverWare and get to wrenching. I'm about 24 hours of labor into it but your motor won't be as complicated. Less parts and more room. You can do it. Don't trash the truck for a bad head gasket.

GraemeWare

GraemeWare

general old hooligan

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

There are only two ways I can think of that would result in getting two at zero compression.  The first would be for the fire rings between the two to be tracking (as I think Chad said too).  The second would be very bad valve seating (not seals), but then why on only two and adjacent cylinders?  If it was holes in the pistons, or totally shot rings, you'd have so much effective blow by that everything would be crawling with oil.  If you have no significant oil use, then I can't see it being much else.

A leak down test would tell you for certain (since the air would come out of the other cylinder if HG, and out of the rocker cover if valves).  You don't even need a true leak-down tester, as you don't need to take measurements.  Attach an air-line to your compression tester fitting, for example.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme

Edited by GraemeWare, 08 March 2017 - 07:20 AM.

• RedRover likes this

Lauroness

Lauroness

NCLR Club Member

• NCLR Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Fairfield, CA
  • 1998 Discovery LE
Ok I'll jump on it and get to wrenching. Honestly I was starting to feel really bummed out and was thinking of just giving up on it. You guys are really helpful and I'm going to fix that HG and THIS ROVER IS GOING TO BE ON THE ROAD!
  • astateofmike, Desertcrawler, RedRover and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Range Rover, RRC, smog, O2 sensor, catalytic converter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users